5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK System Audio Upgrades & Questions - Dash

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm working on getting the sound profile I'd like out of the mids and trebles. I've been swapping out 3.5s to get a better idea of what I like. I've narrowed it down to something with silk tweeters.

I have a few questions if anyone knows the answers:

1. Do we have any idea of how much wattage is being supplied or the dash 3.5" speakers from the factory amp?

2. For those who have gone with aftermarket amplification, how did you or how could you incorporate the center channel?

I'm happy with my sub setup and 6x9s. I'm just trying to find the right mid and high range speakers. Currently trying Kicker ks 3.5s in the dash and am liking what I hear for overall tone, but feel they could use a bit .ore juice. I know I can get the signal from my PAC, but how can keep the center channel?

Anyone just power the corner dash speakers and run the center off factory?

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Not mentioned what model replacement kicker 3.5s you are talking about, but if the impedance is 4 ohms, that will be why its quieter than you are looking for. The impedance of the HK and Alpine 3.5s are 3 ohms i believe. (Have not personally verified HK)
I used the JBL GTO series a few years ago. They have beautiful treble response and are 3 ohm.
Just found the Kicker KS. It is 4 ohms !

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not mentioned what model replacement kicker 3.5s you are talking about, but if the impedance is 4 ohms, that will be why its quieter than you are looking for. The impedance of the HK and Alpine 3.5s are 3 ohms i believe. (Have not personally verified HK)
I used the JBL GTO series a few years ago. They have beautiful treble response and are 3 ohm.
Just found the Kicker KS. It is 4 ohms !
Correct. Kicker KS are 4ohm.

I've been swapping around multiple different speakers with different impedances and sensitivity ratings. TBH it's all over the place. Some 4 ohm speakers with lower sensitivity end up playing louder than 3ohm higher sensitivity.

Makes me wonder if there is any actual standard that companies have to confirm to.

Ceri

Reaction score
1. Do we have any idea of how much wattage is being supplied or the dash 3.5" speakers from the factory amp?

2. For those who have gone with aftermarket amplification, how did you or how could you incorporate the center channel?

1. Not nearly enough. I was never able to track down anything stating how the factory amplifier splits up the power to the various speaker locations, but I can almost guarantee you they're stating peak output numbers instead of RMS numbers. It would be surprising if the dash speakers receive more than 20 watts RMS.

2. You can't (easily) keep a stand-alone center channel with aftermarket amplification. Since music is recorded in stereo, the best option would be to disconnect the center channel and not try to replace it. Rely on your left and right channels to create a phantom center image through time alignment and equalization.

You could tap the center channel output from the factory amplifier, and pass that through further high level input amplification, but that's not going to net you good results.

You can also go the hard route of creating a center channel with aftermarket equipment. You'll need a digital signal processor that has the capability to sum and/or invert left and right channel inputs. It's a pretty deep rabbit hole to go down if you start digging into it. Music isn't recorded with center channel content 99.9% of the time, so you're left using electronic tricks to generate your own. Creating a good stage with a center channel is incredibly difficult and also rather situational to the musical track you're playing.

I don't have a center channel speaker in my install, but you'd never know it. The center image is super strong.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. Not nearly enough. I was never able to track down anything stating how the factory amplifier splits up the power to the various speaker locations, but I can almost guarantee you they're stating peak output numbers instead of RMS numbers. It would be surprising if the dash speakers receive more than 20 watts RMS.

2. You can't (easily) keep a stand-alone center channel with aftermarket amplification. Since music is recorded in stereo, the best option would be to disconnect the center channel and not try to replace it. Rely on your left and right channels to create a phantom center image through time alignment and equalization.

You could tap the center channel output from the factory amplifier, and pass that through further high level input amplification, but that's not going to net you good results.

You can also go the hard route of creating a center channel with aftermarket equipment. You'll need a digital signal processor that has the capability to sum and/or invert left and right channel inputs. It's a pretty deep rabbit hole to go down if you start digging into it. Music isn't recorded with center channel content 99.9% of the time, so you're left using electronic tricks to generate your own. Creating a good stage with a center channel is incredibly difficult and also rather situational to the musical track you're playing.

I don't have a center channel speaker in my install, but you'd never know it. The center image is super strong.
Yeah probably a waste of time and money for center. Plan is to use either a JBL 4086 DSP 40wx8 or MiniDsp Harmony 8x12x40w amp that would allow to mix a channel for that center but that'd require another speaker and probably not accomplish much.

I have some CDT unity 8 on order. I might just try a two way up front and use the JBL amp for the 6x9s in the doors, dash, and rear headliner. I have infinity reference 3.5s in the door locations but the door very little.

I don't need huge volume. Just want a good sounding system.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the setup i have,im still using the "Center speaker".when i have people in my truck.they are all talking so they are not listening to all the others speakers i have installed.i can control the volume(mostly very low)😆😆.but when its just me,of course i have all speakers playing☺️😉

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up going with a mini DSP Harmony and went without center on my first tune. Wowza DSP is incredible. So much adjustabilty. I thought I had it good before but this is on another level entirely. Now I'm down the rabbit hole further though and looking to add more power to my front channel.

Users who are viewing this thread