5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK Radio at Drive In Movie Theater?

tazer006

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some feedback. Do you think the battery in our trucks would last through a 2 hour movie while using FM radio and the Harmon Kardon system? 900 watts of power for 2 hours without the engine running, would the battery die?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should be no issue if you have eTorque. But in either case you are not consuming 900W, that's just the max power output. Your fellow parkers would be upset if you were rocking the movie that loud. At a more reasonable listening level you should easily cover two hours with a restart.

tazer006

Reaction score
Should be no issue if you have eTorque. But in either case you are not consuming 900W, that's just the max power output. Your fellow parkers would be upset if you were rocking the movie that loud. At a more reasonable listening level you should easily cover two hours with a restart.
Thanks for the response. Yes I do understand that it wouldn't be 900w constantly, I was just more concerned of all 19 speakers being used for the entire movie, I would imagine that it would drain much faster than a basic car with 4-8 speakers. Also I do have etorque, but does that have the ability to recharge the battery when the engine is off in "acc" mode?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes I do understand that it wouldn't be 900w constantly, I was just more concerned of all 19 speakers being used for the entire movie, I would imagine that it would drain much faster than a basic car with 4-8 speakers. Also I do have etorque, but does that have the ability to recharge the battery when the engine is off in "acc" mode?

Yes, all 19 would be used unless you turned the fader all the way forward to cut out the rear speakers. Might be an option.

We've never seen the technical details of how AFAIK, but one of eTorque's benefits is that it can use the 48V eTorque battery to supplement the 12V battery in the case of starting when the 12V battery is low. As long as your 48V battery is charged, you are not supposed to ever need a jump start.

I don't think anyone has tested this out yet though.

grinch72

Reaction score
You should be fine. I sit on jobsites all day long with my truck in ACC, radio on and WiFi on and have never had an issue starting it. Mine is on sometimes upwards of 5-6 hours.

tazer006

Reaction score
Yes, all 19 would be used unless you turned the fader all the way forward to cut out the rear speakers. Might be an option.

We've never seen the technical details of how AFAIK, but one of eTorque's benefits is that it can use the 48V eTorque battery to supplement the 12V battery in the case of starting when the 12V battery is low. As long as your 48V battery is charged, you are not supposed to ever need a jump start.

I don't think anyone has tested this out yet though.
Ahh good idea, I will most likely fade the speakers to the far back, open the rear sliding glass, and sit in the truck bed for the movie. That makes sense with etorque as I know it also is used in place of the traditional starter in some situations. Worst case scenario, there is a golf cart that will drive out and jump if your battery dies, but I would prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

tazer006

Reaction score
You should be fine. I sit on jobsites all day long with my truck in ACC, radio on and WiFi on and have never had an issue starting it. Mine is on sometimes upwards of 5-6 hours.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

4breakfree1

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone might be seasoned drive-in theater veterans with the HK system by now. I have a 2022 limited and was wondering what settings I might want to adjust to enjoy a movie. Things such as fading to the front or back, how to keep the stereo on the longest without shutting off (is this a setting?). Do you dim everything? Do you turn off any other lights (cargo and such?) and will the battery last a whole movie? Can you turn off the power running boards? Thanks!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All these problems we didn’t have back in the 70’s. Hang the speaker on the window and done. 😆

Users who are viewing this thread