5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK Front Door Speakers Replacement Question

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if the car stereo gurus could provide some guidance/help on this.

The HK system uses a 6x9 and 3.5" coaxial in the front door. These are crossed somewhere at about 1300 hz somewhere in the system. Replacing the 6x9 is a piece of cake, but the 3.5 limits for options because the factory speakers are molded into the skin. I was able to make it work but it got me thinking...

If a person wanted to install component speakers in replacement, but still use the factory power source, is this possible? Is there a way to easily sum the factory signals into aftermarket crossover so that the cutoff frequencies are correct?

Some of this is purely out of curiosity because I could just keep the modified 3.5s in the doors, but if something is possible and simple to implement, I'd just use a 2 way 6x9 component system.

Update***
I left the 3.5s in. There was too big of a gap in frequency by using the factory crossover settings. If someone is completely overhauling, 2 way components would work well in the HK doors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread