5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK Front Door Replacement Speakers - Tweeters too?

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Sorry....another speaker thread. I spent a fair amount of time doing some reading on here before asking ;).

For those with the HK System, what are you replacing the front door speakers with, and are you replacing the Tweeters....or taking out the factory tweeters and just putting a 3 way 6x9 in place in the front door?

I haven't been behind the front door panel, so I am not sure if they are wired separately (6x9 and tweeter for HK system), so I'm trying to figure out how I want to approach this.

I have already replaced the 3 dash speakers with 3.5" Infinity Reference 3032 cfx 2 way speakers, and I have the Rear Doors replaced with Kicker 6x9 46CSC6934 3 way Speakers. I have also done the rear headliner with Kicker 3.5" 46CSC354 2 way speakers. I wanted the Infinity in the rear headliner too, but they don't have the same mounting, so I stayed with Kicker back there. I not opposed to changing the rear door speakers to Infinity as well, but already had started everything with Kicker.

RHeller1

Reaction score
confused on alot of fronts with the choices. Why put 3 way 6x9's in the rear door? The rear door has a cutoff so nothing but mid and lows are going to them. Infinty speakers are a 3 ohm speaker, why not use a quality 4 ohm speaker that is matched better to the rest of the system? Put some CDT slim woofers in the doors and call it a day, actually you might want to get 2 sets and sell those 3 way 6x9's.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
On both the hk and alpine system, every speaker has its own channel and is crossed over at the amp.

Not sure who I got these diagrams from, but props go to them.

This pic is the hk.
d7601b9059782469009faf154b684e0a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
View attachment 115185

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only mid bass is sent to the woofers, you won’t fully benefit from two or three way speakers in those locations without adding an aftermarket crossover/amp setup to send full signal to them.

Overall the factory 6x9’s didn’t look all that bad when I replaced mine with infinity 3-ways before knowing they only receive mid bass from the amp. The door tweeters are on a separate channel, you might have to do some modifications to the door panel to get something with a bigger magnet to fit.

I would say the infinity 6x9’s improved the mid bass at some frequencies as you can feel them more when the volume is up, no distortion or any other issues to report.

Rawyzf

Reaction score
confused on alot of fronts with the choices. Why put 3 way 6x9's in the rear door? The rear door has a cutoff so nothing but mid and lows are going to them. Infinty speakers are a 3 ohm speaker, why not use a quality 4 ohm speaker that is matched better to the rest of the system? Put some CDT slim woofers in the doors and call it a day, actually you might want to get 2 sets and sell those 3 way 6x9's.
I went with what Crutchfield recommended, sounds like I"m going to make some changes based on the replies. Thank you!

NickB

Reaction score
Can someone PLEASE tell me how I remove the headliner speakers? Unless removing the entire headliner is the only way… ?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
The "tweeters" are seperate in the door, like previous post said all the speakers are seperate channels. I say tweeters like that because they're the exact same coaxial that are in the dash.

I would stay away from any 3 way/coaxial speakers down low anywhere in the vehicle especially since you have no way of tuning them if you don't install a DSP plus multiple other acoustic factors...

I went with 6.5's for the lower doors.

It all depends what you're going for as an end result of your system as well.

I have a thread with pictures you can reference to help you out with your install.

Users who are viewing this thread