5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK Audio vs. 9 Speaker

ballgame168

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether the Level 1 equipment group on the Limited is worth it? I don't need my kids to have ventilated seats in the back so it really comes down to this system. Seems like the reviews so far are less than stellar. How is the standard 9-speaker system and how does it compare? I kind of feel like it's a waste of money but the fact that I am dropping this type of $$$ I don't want to have any regrets. Will it be like running a marathon and giving up at mile 24 or is the juice not worth the squeeze?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What about all of the safety features, Adaptive Cruise Control, the surround-view camera system, etc.?

ballgame168

Reaction score
What about all of the safety features, Adaptive Cruise Control, the surround-view camera system, etc.?

Those things are included in the Advanced Safety Group which I will be getting. Level 1 (based on my understanding) just adds the ventilated rear seats and HK stereo.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine should have come with the HK system, as I ordered the ASG and Level 2 with the Laramie. That’s another story, however. That said, the Alpine sounds better than the high end system in my wife's Audi. I would think more speakers, the better, but for these old ears, the Alpine sounds great and you would never feel regrets over your decision unless your snobbish neighbor with the HK system starts counting your speakers. If he does, just turn up the Alpine volume and blow him away.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those things are included in the Advanced Safety Group which I will be getting. Level 1 (based on my understanding) just adds the ventilated rear seats and HK stereo.
Gotcha. As for me, I wanted those ventilated seats...and the HK system. And on my Longhorn, I needed to spec the Level 1 in order to get the 12” screen. No regrets here on taking the options!

Phiefer

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether the Level 1 equipment group on the Limited is worth it? I don't need my kids to have ventilated seats in the back so it really comes down to this system. Seems like the reviews so far are less than stellar. How is the standard 9-speaker system and how does it compare? I kind of feel like it's a waste of money but the fact that I am dropping this type of $$$ I don't want to have any regrets. Will it be like running a marathon and giving u
I buy as much as I can afford. My limited stickers at 70k (not what I paid) and I'm very satisfied. Like others have said, the driver assisted features, HK audio, eTorque and ramboxes. Most I don't need, i just want them. Call it the WOW factor....like wow, i just spent twice as much $$ as my first house cost....

Last edited:

d_THRILL

Reaction score
I have the Limited with Alpine system and I think it’s amazing. Hands down best OEM system I’ve ever owned and better than premium systems in other vehicles I’ve been in. As you will see on these forums, owners of the HK system are not happy. But supposedly a fix is in the works for those systems.

Zero_Kool

Reaction score
I have a Rebel on order and is suppose to be here by the end of the month. That being said, when I saw the Rebel 12 package come out with the 12" screen and HK system plus leather I was a bit disappointed in my order as I really want the 12" screen most of all. Although I had heard a lot of complaints on here of the HK not performing up to the level you would hope for considering the amount of power/speakers is has (however I do know thats pending the actual quality of the components like what the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) that the amp has, etc). Just to satisfy my own curiosity today and decide weather I wanted to try to get the dealer to let me reorder, I went and sampled a HK and Alpine at a dealer side by side using same source (Pixel2 w/google play) and same song on both. I will have to say, hands down, the Alpine was my system of choice (my choice). It had more volume to it and a better low end tone/punch to it also. The HK did sound good, but just not as good as the Alpine in my opinion. I am not going to toot my horn but my opinion is from spending 17yrs in the custom car audio and electronics back ground. I walked away completely happy with my order cause even if I had it to do over, I would sacrifice getting the 12" screen for getting the better sounding Alpine. Best case for me would be the 12" screen w/Alpine combo, but thats not a thing as of yet.

ballgame168

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Think I will just go with Alpine and save some $$$.

ballgame168

Reaction score
Ha ... 2006 here.

Known I was getting a Ram for the past 6 months but trying to hold off until year end so avoided a test drive til last weekend. Can’t believe how painful it is now getting in the Ridgeline everyday! Biggest fear with getting a new truck is my driving skills have deteriorated due to driving a beater. You know it’s bad when you intentionally back into the wall in your parking garage to make sure you are fully in the space and then don’t even look at bumper when you get out!

Mohab

Reaction score
Pick favorite song go to dealer and compare it yourself, then you will feel good about whatever decision you make

gatorhwk

Reaction score
Known I was getting a Ram for the past 6 months but trying to hold off until year end so avoided a test drive til last weekend. Can’t believe how painful it is now getting in the Ridgeline everyday! Biggest fear with getting a new truck is my driving skills have deteriorated due to driving a beater. You know it’s bad when you intentionally back into the wall in your parking garage to make sure you are fully in the space and then don’t even look at bumper when you get out!

LOL ... replacing the bumpers is a scheduled project before handing it down to my soon to be 16yr old. They show a tad bit of wear and tear. ;)

OK ... sorry for the thread hi-jack ... back to the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread