5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK 12 Android Auto music source thoughts

RJS

Reaction score
Shortly after I bought my 19 Laramie L2 HK 12 I downloaded several albums using FLAC on a USB key and really liked the sound. I then tried Spotify on my LG G7 thinQ phone I use with no sim card for music/podcasts through the internet. It's an MP3 player basically but the sound with Spotify left something to be desired. I then tried Amazon HD music and really liked it on the HK through the LG via Android Auto. I've listened to this setup for 15 or so months now.

Moving forward - today I decided to setup my new Samsung S21 phone so downloaded the Amazon HD app and Android Auto. Plugged it into my truck and started listening to my favorite play list. The best I could say was it was muddy (not bad) but just not the music I remembered from the LG. Tried the truck equalizer, No Bueno and then found the equalizer on the phone which was set to normal. Any change I made didn't live up to my LG music. The volume on the HK needed to be set to 25 or so to equal the LG volume at 19 to my ears. Both the LG and S21 were at max volume on the phone. Bass was also more dominate, not in a good way on the S21. I use -6 on the LG, taking it to -9 on the S21 still left it more dominate.

I had left the LG at home so I drove back and plugged it into the HK. My music was back. I really enjoy Clapton's Lay Down Sally, as I can distinguish separation from different speakers and my level of bass.

Lastly, this is all being fed through the AT&T hotspot in my truck on both phones.

The moral, it may just be tricks of my 78 YO ears but I know this playlist and it's sound quality on my truck. I listen to the 100 or so songs on a regular basis and differences are there in my ears.

Just more food for thought in the HK 12 saga. YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread