5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch ratings Class III or Class IV

habfan

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Ram Sport here in Canada and it has a 2 inch hitch receiver but i can't tell what class it is, I've looked underneath and it's bolted to the frame but didn't see any markings on it.
I looked at the Ram Brochure and the standard is a class 3 hitch with option for a class IV receiver see https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2019/brochures/1500dt.pdf
1620410281825.png
1620410330096.png
It's not on my window sticker to say it has class IV receiver ;
So, does anyone know what the tow ratings for this would be?
I am just curious as I'll be towing an 18ft boat , I know I'll be under 3K lbs, but still curious to know what the ratings of this would be just in case I ever need to tow something heavier in weight like a travel trailer or a bigger boat.

habfan

Reaction score
On my window sticker, the Cass IV hitch is listed under the Level 2 Equipment Group, not under Trailer Tow Group for some odd reason. It's also listed on my build sheet. See if you can download your build sheet. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Thanks! Shows Class III Bumper hitch. but I have a 2 inch receiver.
I'll assume i got a class III, so does anyone have the spec on that?

habfan

Reaction score

agnetbeast

Reaction score

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your tow rating is going to be inside of the drivers side door.

Ram only provides GVWR/GAWR and payload on the driver’s side door jam, not tow rating.

GM is currently the only one that provides tow rating and GCWR on their driver door jam stickers

Floyd

Reaction score

Go towards the bottom and clikc "Look up my vehicle"

Enter VIN and you get your factory built payload and tow rating

habfan

Reaction score
That is a Class IV hitch. Your tow rating is going to be inside of the drivers side door.

This is the actual part.

Interesting, thanks for the link, this truck is new to me, so I only have the vin to go by , so I can’t say for certain that the original hitch was or wasn’t changed out. But I don’t think it was swapped out because the truck doesn’t have a brake controller installed needed to haul heavier trailers. It could be that an aftermarket brake controller was used, but i didnt see any marks of where it would have been mounted. It makes me really wonder if it is a class iii ( which is standard on Canadian trucks) or IV and if ram just installs a class IV and say it’s a class III .🤔🤔🤔 and then those who want a class IV pay a premium for it.

does anyone know if there are any distinguishing markings on the hitch itself that may be imprinted or stamped in? I didn’t see any, but wasn’t looking too hard

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why don’t you just reach out to FCA Canada? In the US you can have a class IV hitch and no brake controller. That is how my truck came and I installed the factory controller and then had Ram dealership flash the computer.

tjcart

Reaction score
The frame mounted hitches are class 4. The actual bumper with a ball added is rated as a class 3.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The frame mounted hitches are class 4. The actual bumper with a ball added is rated as a class 3.
That is not true. Class 2 are bumper mounted and class 3 are frame mounted like class 4.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the hitch, ball mount, and ball all have their own ratings. You must adhere to the lowest rating of the three.

For example, the Class IV hitch on my truck is rated 10,000 lbs. but the 2-5/16" ball I use on my mount is rated 7,500 lbs. So I'm capped at 7,500 currently.

Spurg7

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Ram Sport here in Canada and it has a 2 inch hitch receiver but i can't tell what class it is, I've looked underneath and it's bolted to the frame but didn't see any markings on it.
I looked at the Ram Brochure and the standard is a class 3 hitch with option for a class IV receiver see https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2019/brochures/1500dt.pdf
View attachment 92681
View attachment 92682
It's not on my window sticker to say it has class IV receiver ;
So, does anyone know what the tow ratings for this would be?
I am just curious as I'll be towing an 18ft boat , I know I'll be under 3K lbs, but still curious to know what the ratings of this would be just in case I ever need to tow something heavier in weight like a travel trailer or a bigger boat.
Just ordered a 21 Sport (From Canada too). And this is what the extra hitch receiver is for....I believe standard on all is class III. Unless you pay for upgrade....Hope this helps EH

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.02.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.02.15 AM.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 25

tjcart

Reaction score
That is not true. Class 2 are bumper mounted and class 3 are frame mounted like class 4.
The Bumper hitch on our trucks is rated for 5,000 lbs, which puts it solidly in the Class 3 rating.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the hitch, ball mount, and ball all have their own ratings. You must adhere to the lowest rating of the three.

For example, the Class IV hitch on my truck is rated 10,000 lbs. but the 2-5/16" ball I use on my mount is rated 7,500 lbs. So I'm capped at 7,500 currently.

Yep. Need the thicker shank to get a higher rating.

My 2 5/16” is 12,000 lbs and the 2” is 10,000 lbs

1B4D76CE-5B5C-4C51-B71B-81A0ED36621E.png
72B3F616-D27A-48DB-80D8-D82A36708687.png

Last edited:

habfan

Reaction score
Why don’t you just reach out to FCA Canada? In the US you can have a class IV hitch and no brake controller. That is how my truck came and I installed the factory controller and then had Ram dealership flash the computer.
Ya, I'll probably do that or just ask the dealer where i got the truck.

Just ordered a 21 Sport (From Canada too). And this is what the extra hitch receiver is for....I believe standard on all is class III. Unless you pay for upgrade....Hope this helps EH
It kinda helps, It's just weird to me that they would go to the extent of carrying 3 different classes/types of hitches i.e. a class IV with 2 inch receiver then a class iii with a 2 inch receiver and a class iii bumper hitch. I suppose it would provide an opportunity for them to charge/upgrade for the class IV hitch.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
All receiver hitches on the DT are class IV, unless aftermarket, but the hitch you posted is the factory classIV hitch. They either come with a class IV receiver or nothing at all and just the class 3 rated bumper.

habfan

Reaction score
All receiver hitches on the DT are class IV, unless aftermarket, but the hitch you posted is the factory classIV hitch. They either come with a class IV receiver or nothing at all and just the class 3 rated bumper.
There is just mixed messaging from RAM, as it states in the Canadian brochure the standard is a class iii receiver, and optional/packaged class IV.. Confusing as F.

Users who are viewing this thread