5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch option question from you towing gurus

Cross88

Reaction score
WDH/sway control hitch for a trailer that is at absolute max 7000lbs loaded. Is a hitch like Hensley/propride absolutely necessary or would something like an equalizer more than adequate?

100lb difference in hitch weight is kind of big deal when trying to figure out a TT for a family of 4 and 3 dogs.

Our towing plans and adventures will not include anything cross country. At most just few hours away to a full hook up camp ground for a mini vacation.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I would think that the Equilizer hitch would be sufficient, properly setup. The Hensley/Porprides are nice but expensive and heavy (esp. for a 1500 with limited payload).

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot will depend on your comfort factor, how long the trailer is and how fast you want to tow.

Longer trailers are more susceptible to sway at highway speeds. Try to stay under 30’ overall trailer length for best results with a half ton.

The faster you tow the more likely you are to experience sway. For me 68mph or less is comfortable, 65 being the sweet spot for me.

For your shorter runs with a reasonable length trailer at reasonable speeds an Equalizer hitch should be fine.

Cross88

Reaction score
A lot will depend on your comfort factor, how long the trailer is and how fast you want to tow.

Longer trailers are more susceptible to sway at highway speeds. Try to stay under 30’ overall trailer length for best results with a half ton.

The faster you tow the more likely you are to experience sway. For me 68mph or less is comfortable, 65 being the sweet spot for me.

For your shorter runs with a reasonable length trailer at reasonable speeds an Equalizer hitch should be fine.

I’m looking at around 34’ for trailer length. But I’m also not going to be a speeder by any means. Probably 60-65, maybe 68 on empty straights.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I have a similar weight trailer and use the Reese Steadi-Flex. I’m happy with it.

Cross88

Reaction score
I have a similar weight trailer and use the Reese Steadi-Flex. I’m happy with it.

I was actually looking at that hitch also. I have almost 300lbs more of payload on my truck (1632 payload), I’m just not trying to push any limits and make my towing experience as smooth as possible.

bennekm

Reaction score
I have a 32’ trailer, 8600 lbs loaded, 850 lbs hitch weight towing w a limited and blue ox, which is supposed to be the best outside of Hensley/pro pride. It sways like crazy. Just ordered a hellwig swaybar and got e-rated tires which I’ll fill up to 60 psi to see if that helps. If not I may have to get the hensley/propride in the spring.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 32’ trailer, 8600 lbs loaded, 850 lbs hitch weight towing w a limited and blue ox, which is supposed to be the best outside of Hensley/pro pride. It sways like crazy. Just ordered a hellwig swaybar and got e-rated tires which I’ll fill up to 60 psi to see if that helps. If not I may have to get the hensley/propride in the spring.
The Blue Ox works well for me but my trailer is only 26 feet. Over 30 feet With a half ton, all bets are off.

Cross88

Reaction score
I checked out blue ox, I don’t like the chains at the end of the bars, I don’t see where there sway control is. I’m also going to get airbags, and possibly a hellwig.

jtPNW

Reaction score
I am pulling a 32' trailer (6k lb dry). I first did a dry test tow with no sway control or weight distribution (630 lb on the hitch). It pulled surprisingly well. I was expecting much worse. I was contemplating the Anderson hitch vs the ProPride. The Anderson hitch is less than 70 lbs and is highly rated. That low weight was very attractive and I'm sure I could get away with it. However, after my buddy, who tows with a ProPride, convinced me it was well worth the cost and weight I decided to go PP. I ended up installing some simple Air Lift bags in the springs to help with squat.
For me, the $3k PP hitch is a small percentage of the total package ($45k truck + $35k trailer). With the additional comfort on the highway and my family's safety in mind - the PP was the clear choice. I just considered it part of the cost of the trailer.

Also, the PP hitches have an incredible resale value.

fwiw: there are a couple downsides to the PP hitch (besides the price tag and the 200lb weight). If you have to drop of your trailer for service, the service guys hate it because they can't use the forklift ball to move it around. They have to find a truck to move it.
There is a ball attachment for an extra $110 that allows for the service guys to pull it with the ball. I wish more service would keep these on-hand.
You will also most likely need to extend your chains and power cable. PP sells extension kits for ~$110

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please let us know how those mods work for you. Would be interesting to hear the effects of each mod.

dieseldork

Reaction score
I use an equalizer with a roughly 7000# 27' camper and 750lb tongue weight. The dealer setup the equalizer, and it swayed like crazy on the drive home. I have a Rebel with the E Rated AT tires, and the rears are set at 45 PSI from the factory (fronts are set to 56PSI or something like that). I pulled over, and ran the rears up to 70PSI (80PSI Max Cold on the sidewall), and the swaying reduced dramatically. Made an adjustment to the hitch before the next tow, and ran the pressure up in the rear tires. Last tow was pretty uneventful, and I feel that I could recommend the Equalizer hitch. Much easier to setup every tow than the old bar and chain style hitches.

Cross88

Reaction score
I use an equalizer with a roughly 7000# 27' camper and 750lb tongue weight. The dealer setup the equalizer, and it swayed like crazy on the drive home. I have a Rebel with the E Rated AT tires, and the rears are set at 45 PSI from the factory (fronts are set to 56PSI or something like that). I pulled over, and ran the rears up to 70PSI (80PSI Max Cold on the sidewall), and the swaying reduced dramatically. Made an adjustment to the hitch before the next tow, and ran the pressure up in the rear tires. Last tow was pretty uneventful, and I feel that I could recommend the Equalizer hitch. Much easier to setup every tow than the old bar and chain style hitches.

Alright so proper tire pressure and hitch installment. The trailer has a 6474# dry weight and 790# dry hitch weight. I’m a Laramie sport with 22s, cold max tire pressure is 50, and I currently run them at 40. Might bump the rears at least to 45 before pick up. I find it crazy how so many people have had issues with dealer installed and set up WDH’s. Is there anything I can do to remedy this on my end before hitting the road?

dieseldork

Reaction score
I think you are probably ok on tire pressure. On my 2012 BigHorn Ram with 20" wheels, and much lower profile tires, I never had any issues towing a camper. I think my tire pressure issue stems from these much larger sidewall AT tires; and in this case, a terrible hitch setup from the RV dealer.

Although I've had a few campers in the past, even some longer and heavier than this one, this was my first brand new camper, and I just ASSUMED that the dealer techs really knew how to set a hitch up right. The hitch was included with my purchase, so I figured they sold them and set them up all day every day. After they had me all hooked up, I looked at it in the parking lot, and noticed that the rear of my truck was squatted more than I expected, and the camper was nose up more than I would have expected... So really... I SHOULD have known better, but just went with it as I figured they were the professionals, and I was just a random dude.

My advice would be to know what Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) that you will be using. Get the manual for it if you don't have it already, and fully understand how to set it up. If you want to go ahead and let the dealer set it up, I would ABSOLOUTELY check some measurements based on the infographic attached.

2019-10-23_10-31-48.jpg

bennekm

Reaction score
Please let us know how those mods work for you. Would be interesting to hear the effects of each mod.

So it improved significantly....not perfect but much better. I put the hellwig on the closest hole, filled my tires up to 60lbs and spent an hour at the dealership with them on the phone with blue ox on how to appropriately set up the hitch....apparently they just had a big meeting on setting up Ram’s. To get the correct distribution on the hitch, the ball needs to be about an inch above the coupler when both truck and I practically have to lift the back of the truck off the ground.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it improved significantly....not perfect but much better. I put the hellwig on the closest hole, filled my tires up to 60lbs and spent an hour at the dealership with them on the phone with blue ox on how to appropriately set up the hitch....apparently they just had a big meeting on setting up Ram’s. To get the correct distribution on the hitch, the ball needs to be about an inch above the coupler when both truck and I practically have to lift the back of the truck off the ground.
I picked up a set of 1500# bars for the blue ox and I don’t need to jack the truck nearly as high to get the correct weight transfer.

Cross88

Reaction score
Picked up the trailer today. I think I need some fine tuning on the equalizer wdh. The truck is with in 1/4-1/2” all around being perfectly level. The front axle is however 80lbs lighter after trailer attached (confirmed by before after cat scale). The trailer is also a little nose down. I’m about to order timbren drtt1500 for the rear to help out. But my question is, has anyone flipped the main receiver on the hitch to point up, for us lowered folk. Cuz it’s mounted in the top holes.

Attachments

• A0FF4978-25E7-425F-85AA-2E38B99F0D78.jpeg
    A0FF4978-25E7-425F-85AA-2E38B99F0D78.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 8EC917DD-9FC4-4EDA-A358-9AA120711740.jpeg
    8EC917DD-9FC4-4EDA-A358-9AA120711740.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 65

Cross88

Reaction score
Pictures of cat scales slips and hitch set up for your reference.

Attachments

• 61005FE0-5D4C-4239-8B01-3BE46FEBAE6A.jpeg
    61005FE0-5D4C-4239-8B01-3BE46FEBAE6A.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 7C10A828-CC35-4161-887C-2731CD4FE228.jpeg
    7C10A828-CC35-4161-887C-2731CD4FE228.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 5C3E5521-B491-476C-B9D5-01A54F8BAEBE.jpeg
    5C3E5521-B491-476C-B9D5-01A54F8BAEBE.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 04E72DA1-CA2F-4B75-9E4E-A4208D8F1467.jpeg
    04E72DA1-CA2F-4B75-9E4E-A4208D8F1467.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 64
  • 7BC2FCDF-0E14-4DB0-A4AC-366E46400A95.jpeg
    7BC2FCDF-0E14-4DB0-A4AC-366E46400A95.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 62

bennekm

Reaction score
I picked up a set of 1500# bars for the blue ox and I don’t need to jack the truck nearly as high to get the correct weight transfer.
That’s what I have but they advised 11 links from the end....I can only get 9 from the end without lifting crazy high.

foneguy

Reaction score
WDH/sway control hitch for a trailer that is at absolute max 7000lbs loaded. Is a hitch like Hensley/propride absolutely necessary or would something like an equalizer more than adequate?

100lb difference in hitch weight is kind of big deal when trying to figure out a TT for a family of 4 and 3 dogs.

Our towing plans and adventures will not include anything cross country. At most just few hours away to a full hook up camp ground for a mini vacation.

Thank you for your time and opinions.
look into reese dual cam......this one is weight distribution and prevents sway not sway dampening.

Users who are viewing this thread