5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hit SOS By Accident - Had to DISCONNECT BATTERY TO CANCEL!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
(sorry in advance for the excessive CAPS - I am TIRED AND PIZZED OFF)

So - WHY did they have to put the SOS button RIGHT NEXT TO THE INTERIOR LIGHT BUTTON?

It his SOS once about a week ago - and it never connected. Tonight it dialed and WOULD NOT CANCEL. Said "Call Must Be Cancelled By Operator".

Only problem - it RANG FOR TWENTY MINUTES AND NO ONE PICKED UP.

If this had been an ACTUAL EMERGENCY - I'd be typing this post FROM HELL (cause that's where I'm going to end up, according to my 3 ex-wives - but I digress).

At any rate - even with the truck shut off and locked (sleep) - the CALL STAYED ACTIVE. So rather than go to sleep, and wake up to a DEAD BATTERY, I drove home and pulled the negative battery cable - CALL ENDED.

And while I expected my settings to have to be re-programmed - I DID NOT EXPECT that many features on the truck ARE GONE.

No Choices for USB in Media
Controls ONLY GIVES me my Mirror, and not my SEAT VENTILATION/HEAT for the front seats.
App Buttons along the bottom are completely different.
Audio Features doesn't seem to recognize the HK system (no surround on/off choice).

MOST OF THE TRUCKS FEATURES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ON THE APP MENUS. Even most of the SETTINGS MENUS ARE BLANK.

There HAS TO BE A WAY TO DISABLE THE SOS/ASSISTANCE BUTTONS - since they don't frikkin work ANYWAYS. Why did they have to put them SO CLOSE TO OTHER BUTTONS - they should have been in a section APART FROM the buttons used on a daily basis.

At any rate - I guess it's OFF TO THE DEALER IN THE MORNING.

I made TWO CALLS to UConnect. One nice lady put me on hold - ONLY TO HANG UP ON ME. She told me, you have to drive the truck for a few miles (no idea how many constituted "a few") and the truck would recognize all the installed features.

The second woman told me, ANY TIME THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED - THE DEALER HAS TO SETUP THE HEAD UNIT AGAIN. And no idea if THEY WILL CHARGE ME FOR IT (which will pizz me off EVEN MORE).

So - is there a way to disable the SOS/Assist feature (up to and INCLUDING DISCONNECTING THE FRIKKIN BUTTONS)?
Or - is there a way to REBOOT THE SYSTEM (short of disconnecting the battery or fuse) to disconnect the SOS Call (which DOESN'T WORK ANYWAYS).

Siruis Guardian App is USELESS - if this is a part of it - I'd just as soon blow off my "free trial" and SHUT IT DOWN.

I'm pretty much LIVID. Should have stuck with FORD OR CHEVY - even though NONE of their offerings are nearly as nice or have as rich an option set as the RAM. He11 - should have just gotten another honda pilot (for $25K less), at least I had ZERO ISSUES in 90K miles with my last one.

/end rant

Rick

Any suggestions would be welcome.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
I’ve Disconnected the battery at least a dozen times in a 1 1/2 year an never brought it to dealer to have a head unit reset up. All your uconnect apps all reappear in a couple hours.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I totally agree with you on the location of the SOS button. Picked up the truck to go home and load it up for work and head to W Texas. I accidentally hit the SOS button instead of the dang light switch. It rang and I could not hang it up on screen. They answered and I told them it was an accident.. They hung up. The dang thing kept redialing as soon as they would hang up. After 3 time of them answering it, I asked them if they could turn it off and she said she would flag it as having problems for other operators. Cops showed up at my house wanting to know what the problem was. Once the truck set for about 10 minutes it would go off. He hit the button and when they answered he explained who he was and the problem. They turned it off on their end. Now when I accidentally hit it, it comes up on the dash, but hangs itself up before proceeding with the dialing sequence. Have not even tried to explain that one to the dealer.. Maybe one day if I remember I will bring it up and see what excuse they give me.

Zinger

Reaction score
SiriusXM is on a death spiral as far as I can tell.

The Guardian functions are completely useless. Remote start doesn't work, and now getting feedback on the SOS function from you guys shows us that function is unreliable at best.

For SiriusXM radio, I have a family subscription to YouTube Premium that for $18/month gives me ad free YouTube and full YouTube music for 6 family members, on any device at any time. Using Android Auto I get everything I want, including the ability to select specific artists or songs should I want. Plus the quality is MUCH better than SiriusXM.

Both my Guardian and XM trials expire this month, and I'm not renewing either.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Well - spend awhile on the phone CANCELLING the "Guardian Portion" of my Sirius/XM Trial (radio and traffic still intact - though I use Google Maps on my Iphone/Carplay because with 2 year old maps on the factory NAV, might as well be using paper maps. And I listen to my ginormous music collection that's "mirror'd" in the cloud with Apple Music. The only thing on XM I listen to - is Patriot Radio Channel (which doesn't justify renewal when the trial is up).

Hopefully, this DISABLES THE SOS BUTTON (or renders it useless) - otherwise, I'm going to have to get online and look for the wiring diagrams, so I can DISCONNECT IT.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE THOUGH.

1 - I hit the SOS button, it DID WORK AND DIAL - the system WAS RINGING, but in the 35 minutes before I disco'd the battery - NO ONE PICKED UP. Had this been a REAL EMERGENCY - and the SOS was the only option to summon help - I WOULD BE DEAD. They would have found my dead body, with the SOS STILL RINGING on the head unit.

2 - I've tried the "Assist Button" and I get the "rolling bar" on the screen, which times out to an ERROR. So that's USELESS.

3 - Putting the Assist/SOS buttons on the upper console where they can be hit accidentally (versus the rearview mirror, like OnStar) is probably THE.DUMBEST.THING in this truck (rivaling the support brackets in the MFT Tailgate Bed, which renders 99& of bed accessories INCOMPATIBLE).

4 - The other "convenience features" of the "Guardian Package" - Remote Start/Stop, Lock/Unlock, Locate - work intermittently - and are also, therefore, USELESS.

And to think, they want $20 a month for this useless crapola, after the "free trial" expires. they'd have to PAY ME.

Now - OFF TO THE DEALERSHIP, to see if I can get all the "other features" to start working on my 12" Uconnect unit to work. "Rumor has it", if you drive for awhile, the computers talk to the head unit and all the features come back. Will report back on my results...

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
OK - the final upshot.

After disconnecting the battery @ 1AM - I didn't drive the truck until noon today. ALL the "features" on the Uconnect screen had returned to normal when I got in the truck.

So NO TRIP TO THE DEALER was required after a battery disconnect.

I'm still to chicken to try the SOS button - in case it still tries to call (even though the service is cancelled) and I have to disco the battery again to shut it off (again).

But all is well - back to my usual (manic) state of calm. Ohhhhhhhhmmmm.

Rick

SLC

Reaction score
Well - spend awhile on the phone CANCELLING the "Guardian Portion" of my Sirius/XM Trial (radio and traffic still intact - though I use Google Maps on my Iphone/Carplay because with 2 year old maps on the factory NAV, might as well be using paper maps. And I listen to my ginormous music collection that's "mirror'd" in the cloud with Apple Music. The only thing on XM I listen to - is Patriot Radio Channel (which doesn't justify renewal when the trial is up).

Hopefully, this DISABLES THE SOS BUTTON (or renders it useless) - otherwise, I'm going to have to get online and look for the wiring diagrams, so I can DISCONNECT IT.

1 - I hit the SOS button, it DID WORK AND DIAL - the system WAS RINGING, but in the 35 minutes before I disco'd the battery - NO ONE PICKED UP. Had this been a REAL EMERGENCY - and the SOS was the only option to summon help - I WOULD BE DEAD. They would have found my dead body, with the SOS STILL RINGING on the head unit.

2 - I've tried the "Assist Button" and I get the "rolling bar" on the screen, which times out to an ERROR. So that's USELESS.

3 - Putting the Assist/SOS buttons on the upper console where they can be hit accidentally (versus the rearview mirror, like OnStar) is probably THE.DUMBEST.THING in this truck (rivaling the support brackets in the MFT Tailgate Bed, which renders 99& of bed accessories INCOMPATIBLE).

4 - The other "convenience features" of the "Guardian Package" - Remote Start/Stop, Lock/Unlock, Locate - work intermittently - and are also, therefore, USELESS.

And to think, they want $20 a month for this useless crapola, after the "free trial" expires. they'd have to PAY ME.

Now - OFF TO THE DEALERSHIP, to see if I can get all the "other features" to start working on my 12" Uconnect unit to work. "Rumor has it", if you drive for awhile, the computers talk to the head unit and all the features come back. Will report back on my results...

Rick

Rick
none of my UConnect, SOS or GPS nav functions work, dealersays manufacturer wont allow hardware replacement t fix,Ram Care states its a software issue with no ETA on fix. If other vehicles have these functions operating, seems like replacing with new equipment would fix. Let me know if you find a fix. DONT BUY RAM

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hit the SOS button maybe 2 times but able to hit cancel on the screen to cancel it. Now i'm always double check before i hit any button up there.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hit the SOS button maybe 2 times but able to hit cancel on the screen to cancel it. Now i'm always double check before i hit any button up there.

It had cancel on the screen - then I hit it and it came back with "Call Must Be Cancelled By An Operator".

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread