5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hit a rock, damaged an electrical connector

TSL

Reaction score
I was driving in the mountains the other day ( went snow-shoeing with my 10yr old ). On our way home I drove over some object on the road, which I never saw, but heard a loud BANG under the truck, looked in the rear view mirror and saw what I assume was a rock spinning back up the highway behind me. Being in the mountains, it was most likely a rock, but I didn't stop and back up to investigate. I can only assume the front wheel must have hit the edge of it just right and caused it to flip up and hit the underneath of the vehicle. I said to myself " well at least I have skid plates, hopefully they took the blow", and drove on.
Stopped an hour or more later at a gas station, and on re-starting the vehicle I had the CEL illuminated. Truck seemed OK and nothing looked wrong on any of the gauges ( temps, pressures etc ), so I drove on home another hour and half or so.
At home I checked the code and this is what I had :

P048D Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Position Sensor / Switch Circuit Low

Guessed it must be something to do with the rock I hit so crawled under the truck on the passenger side where I knew the exhaust is and immediately saw what I'm sharing in the attached picture.
That connector is mounted on the side of the frame, and does have a metal bracket that it sits into. You can't see the bracket in the picture, it's behind the connector. It is however bent out of shape.
You can see in the lower right of the picture a scuff mark where the rock hit the frame.
of all the places it could have hit, it had to hit right there and bash up that connector !
It seems a pretty safe bet that the code I'm seeing is related to this connector being bashed up.
The truck is currently at the dealership and I'm waiting to hear back from them on what to do about it. Somewhat worried they're going to want to replace a whole section of harness rather than just replace the connector.

Attachments

• DamagedConnector.jpg
    DamagedConnector.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 41

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was driving in the mountains the other day ( went snow-shoeing with my 10yr old ). On our way home I drove over some object on the road, which I never saw, but heard a loud BANG under the truck, looked in the rear view mirror and saw what I assume was a rock spinning back up the highway behind me. Being in the mountains, it was most likely a rock, but I didn't stop and back up to investigate. I can only assume the front wheel must have hit the edge of it just right and caused it to flip up and hit the underneath of the vehicle. I said to myself " well at least I have skid plates, hopefully they took the blow", and drove on.
Stopped an hour or more later at a gas station, and on re-starting the vehicle I had the CEL illuminated. Truck seemed OK and nothing looked wrong on any of the gauges ( temps, pressures etc ), so I drove on home another hour and half or so.

Guessed it must be something to do with the rock I hit so crawled under the truck on the passenger side where I knew the exhaust is and immediately saw what I'm sharing in the attached picture.
That connector is mounted on the side of the frame, and does have a metal bracket that it sits into. You can't see the bracket in the picture, it's behind the connector. It is however bent out of shape.
You can see in the lower right of the picture a scuff mark where the rock hit the frame.
of all the places it could have hit, it had to hit right there and bash up that connector !
It seems a pretty safe bet that the code I'm seeing is related to this connector being bashed up.
The truck is currently at the dealership and I'm waiting to hear back from them on what to do about it. Somewhat worried they're going to want to replace a whole section of harness rather than just replace the connector.
So how's your insurance? Harnesses can be pricey, but on the other hand there can be significant hand labor involved to repair a connector. Can't see all the damage from that angle, but looks like at least the weather hood has been ripped off and probably crushed or tore one or more wires. To get it back weather-tight would likely need at least the hood, maybe the connector body, possibly some pins and wire scraps and appropriate extractor and crimper tools, shrink tubing and tape. It's do-able if you can find the parts, a little time-consuming to do it well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

As Rick said, if it gets pricey, it would qualify for an insurance claim. Definitely won't be a warranty repair. Unless you have a real good dealer.

TSL

Reaction score
Update: just heard from the dealer with two options : (1) replace the entire harness clear back up to the engine. Major labor cost ( 20 to 25 hours ), I think they said would involve pulling the dash out. They don't know the cost of the harness, would have to wait till Monday to figure that out.
Or (2) repair the connector, and make it weather tight and secure it back to the frame. They are quoting me $600 to do that. I guess most of that is labor.
I told them to pursue that option, it'll be Monday before they get to it. Hadn't thought of an insurance claim, I do have decent insurance ( I think ! It's only when you go to claim that you really figure that out, right ? ) But for $600 I wouldn't claim as I have a $500 deductible. For the $4000+ to replace the harness, yeah a claim would make sense. I'm not sure I want them tearing the dash out to be honest anyway, I think repairing the connector seems less invasive.
They did point out that they'll have to verify after doing that, that the CEL goes away and there's nothing else causing it. Fair enough to make that point, but it would seem most likely this is the cause.
Going to have to file this in the "what are the odds of that happening?" category I think !

Users who are viewing this thread