5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highway shake on my Brand new Laramie

rocksmopar

Reaction score
Hello, I just picked up a New Crew Cab Laramie and its great. However it does have a shake on the front drivers side at Highway speeds, I'm assuming its a flat spot on a front tire because it was on the lot awhile but if it's not, what else could it be? I'm gonna rotate the tires to see if it moves to the rear. I'm also certain its not the brakes. FYI it has the 18 inch rims and tires.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Laramie.jpg
    Laramie.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 62

Jmac509

Reaction score
Keep us updated on your results. It seems a few people have vibration issues that were unsolvable.

rocksmopar

Reaction score
Well I finally went back to the dealer and they re balanced the front tires. Took a drive with the Service General Manager afterwards and he claims it will go away after 2500-3000 miles. Time will tell, I still love the truck and got such a good deal. I will eventually level it out and change the control arms if the problem persists...

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will not go away, it's probably a tire that's out of round and cannot be balanced. Rotate to the rear just be sure the problem follows the tire/rim.

My truck came with OEM tires that were egg shaped. Dealerships do not warranty tires on a new vehicle, that's why they give you a separate pamphlet for your tires. You may however have a dealership that will go to bat for you, but that is hit or miss. In my case they were bumps on a log.

I finally found the time and went to the tire manufacturer which was Bridgestone. They wanted me to pay miles driven (around 10,000 miles) on said wobbly tires ($150 per tire), which I understand the whole prorated thing, but on a defective tire? That's on me I guess for not going directly to Bridgestone in the very beginning.

The whole experience blew chunks. I dropped the coin on Defenders and put Bridgestone on my fecal roster.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will not go away, it's probably a tire that's out of round and cannot be balanced. Rotate to the rear just be sure the problem follows the tire/rim.

My truck came with OEM tires that were egg shaped. Dealerships do not warranty tires on a new vehicle, that's why they give you a separate pamphlet for your tires. You may however have a dealership that will go to bat for you, but that is hit or miss. In my case they were bumps on a log.

I finally found the time and went to the tire manufacturer which was Bridgestone. They wanted me to pay miles driven (around 10,000 miles) on said wobbly tires ($150 per tire), which I understand the whole prorated thing, but on a defective tire? That's on me I guess for not going directly to Bridgestone in the very beginning.

The whole experience blew chunks. I dropped the coin on Defenders and put Bridgestone on my fecal roster.
+1 i would of think a bad tire that cant be balanced or fix...

ask the dealer to try the wheels of another ram, its not too long to switch them around and youll know for sure

Chaos79

Reaction score
Well I finally went back to the dealer and they re balanced the front tires. Took a drive with the Service General Manager afterwards and he claims it will go away after 2500-3000 miles. Time will tell, I still love the truck and got such a good deal. I will eventually level it out and change the control arms if the problem persists...
Sounds like a load of crap from the dealer. Break-in period is much shorter than 2500-3000 miles.

JT653

Reaction score
If it’s caused by a flat spot it should be warrantied. We had this issue on my wife’s new Tahoe and after a bit of back and forth they replaced all 4 tires under warranty. GM policy is you have to drive 500 miles to see if flat spots resolve. Ours did not. Not sure Chrysler’s policy but if they left it sitting for months in a lot waiting for parts, it’s Chryslers issue not yours or the tire manufacturer’s.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was probably sitting for a while with lower tire pressure. They normally bump up the pressure to 65 psi while on the lot to prevent flat spotting, or it could just be a bad tire. Either way, it should be warranty item at this stage.

Av1

Reaction score
That is BS from the SGM. Have them check if the tire or wheel runout is out of tolerance.

It's easy to do and should pinpoint your issue quickly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

This is the documentation for the warranty on tires.

It goes over how you access each of the brands warranty for the tires that came on your truck.
Interestingly enough I see that Pirellis come with 1 year of road hazard coverage on a new car\truck if they are runflat tires. Unfortunately the Pirellis on the 22s at least are not runflats though :p
I bet some charger\challengers do though.

n7qpp

Reaction score
Please have the tires Road Force balanced. This worked for my tires.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m can’t believe this issue is still going on today! Shame on ram. I fought a tough fight for a year on my 19 ram. After 7-8 visits, many new parts, wheels removed 20+ times, rebalanced several times, ram sending me to independent tire shop with absolutely no fix. I was told not the tires, not the rims, they tired new driveshaft, new rims, new tires, new rack and pinion, new front axles, and other new parts there was no fix. Would not hold balance over a few hundred miles. This was the worst experience ever. Finally at just over a year and 9000 miles they bought that pos back, after I told them enough was enough and that they would be hearing from a lawyer. I hope you don’t have to go through this, because it sucked💩😥 I loved the truck but hated the issues and they way I was treated! I still say it was the rims, but they said they tried new rims with no fix? The truck was never right from day one, I bought it new and the truck never ever went off road, hit curbs etc…good luck👍🏻

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going to try to fix it yourself, download a good NVH app. It will help pinpoint the vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online