5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Oil Pressure

Joszkomr

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals
Im sorry if this has already been answered and I know the gauge is not really a "gauge" but when I start mine up its at about 80 PSI until it warms up once fully up to temp its about 20-25 driving around its the 80 at start up that worries me only 7k miles
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine’s very high when it’s got cold oil, and especially when it’s really cold outside. Do you notice that correlation with yours?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals
Im sorry if this has already been answered and I know the gauge is not really a "gauge" but when I start mine up its at about 80 PSI until it warms up once fully up to temp its about 20-25 driving around its the 80 at start up that worries me only 7k miles
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Normal. The oil is thicker when cold so pressure is higher.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Joszkomr

Reaction score
Ya i mean around 40s I notice it it doesn’t get that much colder in Phoenix lol

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Cold oil is thick, the pump has to work harder to move it, thus the high oil pressure.

Reaction score
Cold oil is thick, the pump has to work harder to move it, thus the high oil pressure.
pump doesn't work harder the increased consistency of the oil when it is cold and flowed through the pump creates higher line pressure. Easiest way to to explain would be like drinking milk with a straw and drinking a milkshake through that same straw

Papi4baby

Reaction score
pump doesn't work harder the increased consistency of the oil when it is cold and flowed through the pump creates higher line pressure. Easiest way to to explain would be like drinking milk with a straw and drinking a milkshake through that same straw
So the pump is using the same amount of energy to move oil, when the oil is 40 degrees and 220 degrees?

Users who are viewing this thread