5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Mileage rams holding up

KeithStone76

Reaction score
I have a fairly similar situation....in sales, and lots of highway. I average 52K+ miles/year. In Feb 2021 I bought a fairly highly-optioned 2019 Laramie CC Hemi 4x4 that had 17K on it. I opted to forgo the warranty, instead banking the money. I just turned 52K on it yesterday. On probably 70% of my tank fills I hand-calculate and can reliably count on an average of 20.9MPG for mostly highway trips. I've had zero issues so far. I love the comfort and the Laramie suits me well...I like the creature comforts!

I came out of a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel. Loved it, but did the math using my real world experience and I'm in a Hemi now because I do not believe the fuel savings outweigh the potential issues with the EcoDiesel. (Yes, I know I had a gen2 vs gen3).

This truck is super comfortable...I drove 12 hours straight last Tuesday and then returned in two 6-hour stints over the weekend...ZERO complaints.

Others my disagree, but a good friend has a similar Limited and he complains about his fuel mileage. I do wonder if that is weight-related...his is fully optioned.

FWIW - I'd recommend the Safety group, if only for the adaptive cruise control. The lane-keep is OK, but not great. I got the 12" screen and have really grown to love it. This is the first vehicle in many years that doesn't have a sunroof and I have to say I really do not miss it all. Also, the surround-view camera system is awesome.

Lastly I don't agree with the V6 Pentastar suggestions...the Hemi will hold its value way better and provides enough other benefits to offset the fuel savings.

Good luck!
I loathe the adaptive cruise control. It's not a favorite of mine.

I also would disagree regarding the value of the Pentastar. It's all relative. When people mention this, I think the assumption is you wouldn't buy another v6 and go for the Hemi. That isn't always the case.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I loathe the adaptive cruise control. It's not a favorite of mine.

I also would disagree regarding the value of the Pentastar. It's all relative. When people mention this, I think the assumption is you wouldn't buy another v6 and go for the Hemi. That isn't always the case.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
regarding the ACC...OK so we disagree. I find it extremely useful for highway driving and traffic jams. Regarding the Pentastar, I was referring to resale value...simple fact is that a hemi will sell for more than a Pentastar.

tdog65

Reaction score
I have a fairly similar situation....in sales, and lots of highway. I average 52K+ miles/year. In Feb 2021 I bought a fairly highly-optioned 2019 Laramie CC Hemi 4x4 that had 17K on it. I opted to forgo the warranty, instead banking the money. I just turned 52K on it yesterday. On probably 70% of my tank fills I hand-calculate and can reliably count on an average of 20.9MPG for mostly highway trips. I've had zero issues so far. I love the comfort and the Laramie suits me well...I like the creature comforts!

I came out of a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel. Loved it, but did the math using my real world experience and I'm in a Hemi now because I do not believe the fuel savings outweigh the potential issues with the EcoDiesel. (Yes, I know I had a gen2 vs gen3).

This truck is super comfortable...I drove 12 hours straight last Tuesday and then returned in two 6-hour stints over the weekend...ZERO complaints.

Others my disagree, but a good friend has a similar Limited and he complains about his fuel mileage. I do wonder if that is weight-related...his is fully optioned.

FWIW - I'd recommend the Safety group, if only for the adaptive cruise control. The lane-keep is OK, but not great. I got the 12" screen and have really grown to love it. This is the first vehicle in many years that doesn't have a sunroof and I have to say I really do not miss it all. Also, the surround-view camera system is awesome.

Lastly I don't agree with the V6 Pentastar suggestions...the Hemi will hold its value way better and provides enough other benefits to offset the fuel savings.

Good luck!
Great to hear I'm not the only one to drive this much. I agree with the hemi. How long are you planning on keeping this truck? Man reason I wanted the limited or Longhorn is the options. I've found a couple but all have 3.92. From what I've been reading the difference between that and the 3.21 can be enough to make a decent difference. Thanks for the info on your Laramie

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I have around 260,000 on my 2003 Ram 1500. I think it had about 150,000 on it before I changed the spark plugs. The 4.7 V8 is noisy but seems to last and last. I've got everything for a complete valve train refresh. But it's been running so good lately I haven't even started the work.

Ram24Sep2021_02.jpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great to hear I'm not the only one to drive this much. I agree with the hemi. How long are you planning on keeping this truck? Man reason I wanted the limited or Longhorn is the options. I've found a couple but all have 3.92. From what I've been reading the difference between that and the 3.21 can be enough to make a decent difference. Thanks for the info on your Laramie
Yes, I'd certainly prefer 3.21, but if I found an otherwise suitable truck I'd likely live with the 3.92. My business partner has the 3.92 and his mpg's are pretty decent.

I'll certainly keep this truck for at least 4 years, probably more. I have no worries about taking it to 300K miles. Last two vehicles were way over the 200K mark and I bought this truck with more miles in mind. Good luck with your search.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited just ticked over 75k miles. Have had zero mechanical issues (knock on wood) outside of replacing 2 batteries and the exhaust manifold bolts. I keep it in a heated garage and follow the maintenance schedule. Plan to keep it for a long time. I don't baby it either (tow a 7k camper about a dozen times a year)

tdog65

Reaction score
Just reviving this thread and the advice I got from it. After wanting one for quite a while I picked up a 20 ram limited with 20k miles on it. Loaded pretty much exactly like I would have ordered it. Does have 3.92 rear end, was hoping to find one with 3.21 but this one was close to home and the dealer called me as they just took it trade-in. Was built in late 2020 so hopefully, all the 2019 bugs worked out. Hoping this one will run 200k miles mostly Hwy with little issues in about 3 years. Did get the Mopar 5 years from service date unlimited mileage warranty which helps a lot.
This truck rides better than the Lexus I traded in with more gadgets and storage than I need. For Comparison I drove a 2019 F150 limited the day before that I was sure I was going to buy and while it was a super nice truck, after driving the ram no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread