5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High mileage 2019 advice

MSgt Van

Reaction score
First off, I apologize for this thread. Every time I read a similar post on a snowmobile forum I roll my eyes. Here it goes:
I'm in the market for a used Ram 1500. My local dealer has a 2019 Limited with 184000 miles. I'm not overly concerned since it's only four years old, however having no experience with the air suspension or etorque systems I'm concerned about the longevity of both systems. I had a 98 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton for 13 years and loved it. Your thoughts?

wangstarr03

Reaction score
That’s a lot of miles for 4 years tbh…

I haven’t experienced any issues with the air suspension in my 2019 Limited but I have less than half those miles. All air suspensions eventually have issues, though. I specifically went without etorque bc it was so new at the time so cant speak on that. With that many miles, I’d probably be more concerned with other things giving you issues, specifically the electronics and the 12” uConnect since that was also brand brand new for the 5th gen (though I haven’t had any issues in mine).

Where are you located? I’ll sell you my 2019 Limited 😂

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You didn't say what engine either. But it's not the milage that's the problem, it's the years. So, it only being 4 years old probably won't be a problem if it is a good deal.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a lot of miles, but that also means it’s likely that any build issues were hashed out a lot of miles ago. Now it’s a question of whether wear-and-tear parts have been / are being maintained. It’s hard to really know without service records and the vehicle’s backstory, but you can have things checked out. Either way, I’d expect you to get a very good price break for a gasser with high miles.

6of36

Reaction score
Air suspensions have issues in cold climates. Service advisor informed me. I'm still getting it. Well maintained Hemis go 250,000-300,000 miles, but you don't know history. E-torque is still too new to know longevity, I have not heard too many horror stories, compared to the hundreds of thousands out there, but there are a few. Those are the facts I know, but the decision is yours. Have it checked over, and if it seems good, buy it. If the price is right, I would rather buy something that someone drove a lot of miles, than one that has extremely low hours, or age. They kept it long enough, because it was dependable, where the extremely low miles, or age, could be because it was a lemon.

St-na

Reaction score
Have seen a lot of HEMI's with over 350k miles, but without air suspension and ETorque.

Jmac509

Reaction score
First off, I apologize for this thread. Every time I read a similar post on a snowmobile forum I roll my eyes. Here it goes:
I'm in the market for a used Ram 1500. My local dealer has a 2019 Limited with 184000 miles. I'm not overly concerned since it's only four years old, however having no experience with the air suspension or etorque systems I'm concerned about the longevity of both systems. I had a 98 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton for 13 years and loved it. Your thoughts?
Well since St-na decided to revive this thread, How is it? Did you buy it?

Does it have any issues?

I'm curious how a 2019 with 184k miles handles.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well since St-na decided to revive this thread, How is it? Did you buy it?

Does it have any issues?

I'm curious how a 2019 with 184k miles handles.
I just turned in a 2020 (not Ram) with 178,000 miles, all driven by me. It drove as good as new, original brakes even...

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, any car or truck that high on miles, better plan on major repairs. Outside of a Honda or toyota, pretty much anything can go out...from engine, trans to even electronics

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

irishwake63

Reaction score
Personally, any car or truck that high on miles, better plan on major repairs. Outside of a Honda or toyota, pretty much anything can go out...from engine, trans to even electronics

not really if it was well maintained its only 4 years old and driven nicely it could go without any issues for a long time

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not really if it was well maintained its only 4 years old and driven nicely it could go without any issues for a long time
You would need to define "well maintained" because one person would change the oil every 3k miles, but someone else might run it 15k miles. With that many miles you might want to know HOW the truck was used is more important. Heavy towing can be involved and transmission service is another thing.

I don't got by year of car, mileage is more important because your wearing out the parts faster than normal.

For any car with that mileage, no problem with buying a used truck, just save that money and prepare for major maintenance repairs. Regardless of age, mileage and engine hours are the signs of wear and tear on parts.

irishwake63

Reaction score
hardest wear on an engine or transmission is starting and stopping accelerating this truck with such high mileage for only being 4 years old is obviously all hwy mileage so really less wear

vincentw56

Reaction score

Just like people, it's not the mileage, it's the years. And I've had my share of vehicles with years and high mileage, Honda and Toyota included.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hardest wear on an engine or transmission is starting and stopping accelerating this truck with such high mileage for only being 4 years old is obviously all hwy mileage so really less wear
Definitely not debating you.

Just saying your talking about hwy miles. If your driving 8+ hours a day. Your gonna stop more to get gas and make more stops for food, loading and unloading. That's alot more stopping and starting than you think and not just hyway miles.

Compared to a standard person, just driving to work 30 mins and leaving it in the parking lot for 7-8 hours untouched.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Not sure what Honduh or Toyota have to do with anything. They don't have some magic to make them last any longer than other vehicles. And their quality isn't as good as it used to be. Anything can go out on them as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online