5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Lift Jack locations?

rzims

Reaction score
Hey there,
Have had the Ram for a few months now and had a question about jacking to change a tire.
I'm out in the hills quite a bit and with a leveling kit and bigger tires, the standard jack isn't going to cut it.
My son in law got me a high lift jack when I had the jeep and I've only had to use it a couple of times.
Where on the Ram should I be placing it if I need to change a tire?
I have the side steps, but they're not rock rails and probably won't hold....
Thoughts?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noooo they will damage and you might break your face. Unfortunately no good jacking points really. You can use the straps that work with rims and tires to attach and lift getting something under the wheel if your stuck etc. I have a Rebel and waiting on rock sliders from White Knuckle or another vendor if become available.

Last edited:

rzims

Reaction score
It's funny how everyone talks about how dangerous they are. My first truck was a 68 Ford and it came with one of the metal jacks, that had a base plate and was exactly like a high lift on not as well made....back then it was normal and not "dangerous"

Rhombus

Reaction score
It's funny how everyone talks about how dangerous they are. My first truck was a 68 Ford and it came with one of the metal jacks, that had a base plate and was exactly like a high lift on not as well made....back then it was normal and not "dangerous"
‘68 Catalina with one of those old bumper jacks. Always looked like it was going to fall off.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
When lifting from the rear I use a shackle D Ring hitch receiver like this:
1587224235343.png

When lifting from the sides or from the front I use the hi lift lift mate.. On the sides you can use it on your wheel, on the front just hook the hook to the front tow hook

1587224441397.png

lzm11

Reaction score
Don't.

I carry two 60" hi lifts when I'm out, but for changing tires it's foolish to not use a decent bottle jack instead. The bumper lift accessory can work as does the wheel lift, but it isn't worth the work IMHO.

There's really no good stock location to lift a Rebel with a farm jack.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a great pneumatic 60 ton bottle jack for my RV. Won't lift jack offroad or in anything squishy. Hot asphalt counts as squishy.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always carry several 2x4s and a hydraulic bottle jack for those situations. Never needed anything else to change a tire on the road or off (okay, so maybe a breaker bar, socket, extension, and torque wrench too).

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always carry several 2x4s and a hydraulic bottle jack for those situations. Never needed anything else to change a tire on the road or off (okay, so maybe a breaker bar, socket, extension, and torque wrench too).

This answer right here for most general off-roaders (I own a hi-lift and have used it off-road; not on the Rebel) - some 2x6 planks and a good bottle jack and in most situations you can get the truck up enough to swap a tire

BUT - agreed with the above lift-mate or use a shackle and short strap in the tow hook, but I'd be super weary of it tipping into the hood.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I was going to buy a Hi Lift and this mounting system because that's what my dad always used off-road and hunting

But now all this bottle jack talk has me thinking how much safer they are so I'll probably buy this next week

Users who are viewing this thread