5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High beam signal for ledbar dodge ram -2019

T.lar.vlt

Reaction score
Hi.
I have mount extra light, ledbar in the front of my dodge ram sport -19. Becouse these cars have LED light on high and low beam standard i need to connect a canbus interface module, my problem is to find the can high och can low signals to get the +12v, have anywone did this on your Rams? Thankfull for help.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
1. I'm assuming you have the reflector led's.
2. Do you want the light bar to turn on with the high beams?
3. Are you using a relay?

T.lar.vlt

Reaction score
Yes i want it to turn on with high beam. Yes i use a relay but the 12v signal (from the high beam) is not 12v becouse its org led. Hard to explain if you dont now how it works with cars that have led highlights. My question is if anyone did this and know where to connect the canbus interface module.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Yes i want it to turn on with high beam. Yes i use a relay but the 12v signal (from the high beam) is not 12v becouse its org led. Hard to explain if you dont now how it works with cars that have led highlights. My question is if anyone did this and know where to connect the canbus interface
module.
Well I have a 20” rigid industries light bar hooked up to a relay, and the relay is controlled by the high beam. I haven’t had any problems with it since I installed it several months ago. I used a t-tap on the white wire with a green tracer (high beam). The factory led headlight is supplied with 12 volts and the circuit boards in the light control everything power-wise.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes i want it to turn on with high beam. Yes i use a relay but the 12v signal (from the high beam) is not 12v becouse its org led. Hard to explain if you dont now how it works with cars that have led highlights. My question is if anyone did this and know where to connect the canbus interface module.

Doesn't matter if the high beam signal is less than 12V. Maybe a PWM signal with ~3V RMS?

Ok so use a relay that opens at 3V. Done.

T.lar.vlt

Reaction score
Does the relay working with PWM signal as you describe? Is this something you test?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the relay working with PWM signal as you describe? Is this something you test?

You can test by measuring with a DMM. The DMM is typically not fast enough to capture the pulsed bits, but instead will give you an average voltage of what it sees.

This "average" will be the same that a relay sees.

Some care should be taken. I mean you don't want to affect or otherwise alter the pulsed signal. I'd suggest keeping the wires from pulsed signal to the relay short. Maybe even insert a series resistor.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It works with a normal 12v relay, not rocket science here.

You're probably right.

But... actuating a 12V relay with a 3V signal, just as an example, may not work consistently or reliably. You really want the relay to be properly spec'd.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
You're probably right.

But... actuating a 12V relay with a 3V signal, just as an example, may not work consistently or reliably. You really want the relay to be properly spec'd.
The power running through the white/green wire (driver side high beam) is 12 volts, I've had it on for 4 months now with absolutely no problems.

Mood93

Reaction score
The power running through the white/green wire (driver side high beam) is 12 volts, I've had it on for 4 months now with absolutely no problems.

Hey, I am trying to hookup these lights from zroadz. I want them on with high. And would like to add a switch to disable them. Can you help me on either of these? New to this stuff. But have a CS degree, so not too newbie.

Thanks!
2019 RAM Rebel 4x4 3.6 V6 Extended Cab

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Hey, I am trying to hookup these lights from zroadz. I want them on with high. And would like to add a switch to disable them. Can you help me on either of these? New to this stuff. But have a CS degree, so not too newbie.

Thanks!
2019 RAM Rebel 4x4 3.6 V6 Extended Cab
Pm me what questions you have.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Well I have a 20” rigid industries light bar hooked up to a relay, and the relay is controlled by the high beam. I haven’t had any problems with it since I installed it several months ago. I used a t-tap on the white wire with a green tracer (high beam). The factory led headlight is supplied with 12 volts and the circuit boards in the light control everything power-wise.

This is great info, thank you.

Did you have to pull the light assembly out to tap the high beam wire?

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
No, but it is easier to get to the headlight plug if you slide underneath the truck.

Thanks! I already have the light wired with a switch and have an extra tap. I wired my DRL with a fuse tap and a relay, this completes my lighting project.

Users who are viewing this thread