5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hidden LED strobes

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I just ordered a kit with 6 LED hidden strobe lights for my truck to use when responding to the fire department for calls. Haven't pulled out the headlight or tail light assemblies yet as I'm waiting on delivery of the kit, but wanted to ask before I start if there are others that have done such an install - best place to drill the holes in the housings? Any watch outs, tips, or advice? Years ago I installed a similar setup on my Ford Explorer, but that was in the days before LEDs.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ram has the ability for lightshow, and you can enable it with a tazer dt. Not sure if it’s enough for you though. No drilling involved with this.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always just put a bar (or two) behind the grille and mounted the LED's to that/those. Depending on the grille design, and the LED housings they're essentially invisible until they're turned on. As for the back I've just mounted under the tail gate. I prefer to not drill into the head/tail light housings. I don't want to risk condensation in there.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ram has the ability for lightshow, and you can enable it with a tazer dt. Not sure if it’s enough for you though. No drilling involved with this.
Oooo, I didn't think of that for a Ram. I had a Tazer on my Jeep and you can use the preset light show, or even set your own. You can use marker lights, head lights, brake likes, turn signal or any combination of them. You can wig wag, sequence, or flash all at once. It's actually pretty slick. Kind of expensive but cheaper than most Whelen or Federal kits.

A side note on the video. He cycles through the light shows to show them all. However, you can program it to skip any of them you don't like, and to start on a specific one. You can also activate it via your steering wheel controls, although that's a bit of a pain and using the fob is easier.

Last edited:

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Oooo, I didn't think of that for a Ram. I had a Tazer on my Jeep and you can use the preset light show, or even set your own. You can use marker lights, head lights, brake likes, turn signal or any combination of them. You can wig wag, sequence, or flash all at once. It's actually pretty slick. Kind of expensive but cheaper than most Whelen or Federal kits.

A side note on the video. He cycles through the light shows to show them all. However, you can program it to skip any of them you don't like, and to start on a specific one. You can also activate it via your steering wheel controls, although that's a bit of a pain and using the fob is easier.
Speaking from experience, when tones go off the last thing you are able to do is mess with steering wheel controls while responding. The slow patterns are not useful in any manner either.

Tattoo

Reaction score
I have the wig wag light module installed on my 2020 limited and it looks nice but moves no one. I am curious so see how the strobe install turns out. I have settled for the visor strobes but the location of the plug in the middle of the dash sucks

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, when tones go off the last thing you are able to do is mess with steering wheel controls while responding. The slow patterns are not useful in any manner either.
Exactly why you program your own quick flash pattern (wig wag or whatever pattern you desire) and activate it with the remote. Set the light show to start on your custom pattern and you don't have to cycle or anything. Just turn it on, hit the siren and get rolling.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly why you program your own quick flash pattern (wig wag or whatever pattern you desire) and activate it with the remote. Set the light show to start on your custom pattern and you don't have to cycle or anything. Just turn it on, hit the siren and get rolling.
What will be really cool is when somebody figures out how to change the colors of things like the DRL strobes. With the ram Taking the time to make a lightshow available, I wonder if the diode’s are adjustable color. I almost want to say I could bet that they are.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speed Turtle
PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS!!! I am an upfitter as well for emergency vehicles. THESE THINGS WILL FRY YOUR PCM!! Idk how anyone could think plugging this device into a DIAGNOSTIC port and having it force flash your factory lights is a good idea? Our trucks are one big computer...I lose respect for anyone who recommends these things to people. They're unsafe, lazy, and look like something is wrong with your electrical system when they're on.

Buy quality products. It's your *** on the line out there while you're responding and on scene. I highly recommend Soundoff Mpowers with the windshield shrouds. They literally stick to the windshield and no custom brackets or anything is required. Yes, the lights are a bit pricey but again - it's your safety out there plus the public. You want them to be able to see your vehicle and know it's an emergency vehicle day or night.

Please PM me if you want any further help OP.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have no need for strobes of any kind but I dont think I'd be drilling into the headlight housing to install them. Theres already been some issues with condensation in the headlights and drilling will most definitely void any type of warranty and I'd imagine replacing the LED headlights wont be cheap if you're on the hook for them. I've seen some Rams with the 3 yellow clearance lights in the grill like the TRX and Ford Raptor's have so there are brackets or bar's that bolt behind the grill that I'm sure you could use to avoid messing with the headlights. Just my opinion as it's not my truck so good luck

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For emergency use...no way. This looks like the truck is having some sort of electrical failure. There are true headlight and taillight flashers out there that work for our trucks and actually have a pattern to them that looks like it's meant to be happening. Soundoff Signal select-a-pattern works on the headlights and Soundoff flashback taillight flasher work on the tails/reverse.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Changed my mind - returned the hidden strobes. While I'm sure I could have done the install, the potential downside to getting the headlights out just to drill them and then risking condensation was more than I anticipated. I'll get by with a light sitting on the dash.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Changed my mind - returned the hidden strobes. While I'm sure I could have done the install, the potential downside to getting the headlights out just to drill them and then risking condensation was more than I anticipated. I'll get by with a light sitting on the dash.
Like I said previously, buy or make a bracket that bolts up behind the grill. For the rear you can some fasten the lights to your head rest and or a bracket under the rear bumper or trailer hitch

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Suction cup dash lights will fall. Look into Soundoff Mpower Window shrouds. As I said previously, they are a bit pricey but well worth the quality and having a secure light package. No drilling or anything required.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just have dash light and air horn on mine(post # 29). You can check out another members post # 30. I have since replaced the big dash light with a Feniex Quad(https://www.feniex.com/deck-dash/quad-2x)

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can customize so lights work / flash the way you want with the Tazer.

Users who are viewing this thread