5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi beam over ride for fog lamps

5280Ram

Reaction score
I am new to the site and am looking to over ride the Hi beam / fog lamp shut off. I have seen aftermarket plug and play units for everything other than the 5th Gen Ram. There is 1 wiring kit for $12. I don’t want a $12 kit to fry my $1600/per led head lamps. Thanks in advance.

2019 1500 Limited with every option at the time.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am new to the site and am looking to over ride the Hi beam / fog lamp shut off. I have seen aftermarket plug and play units for everything other than the 5th Gen Ram. There is 1 wiring kit for $12. I don’t want a $12 kit to fry my $1600/per led head lamps. Thanks in advance.

2019 1500 Limited with every option at the time.
You can do it with AlfaOBD. There are several threads on here about how to do it. You just need to use search. It's not $12, but you don't need to install anything. Just disable foglight dropout in the BCM. Plus, there is a ton more you can do with AlfaOBD.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AlfaOBD does this and much more. You should be able to find everything you need searching. Happy modding!

5280Ram

Reaction score
You can do it with AlfaOBD. There are several threads on here about how to do it. You just need to use search. It's not $12, but you don't need to install anything. Just disable foglight dropout in the BCM. Plus, there is a ton more you can do with AlfaOBD.
I was planning on replacing my current ODBII so I will get the AlfaODB, if I can find one. Recent searches said not available.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was planning on replacing my current ODBII so I will get the AlfaODB, if I can find one. Recent searches said not available.
AlfaOBD is software that you run on an Android device or Windows laptop. There several threads on here discussing what it is and what you need. I'd suggest searching on this site.

5280Ram

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows​

I am interested because it is also IOS compatible, I can use on on my BMW and my kids cars with my iPhone.

AlfaOBD will be loaded on my Windows laptop for my Ram

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows​

I am interested because it is also IOS compatible, I can use on on my BMW and my kids cars with my iPhone.

AlfaOBD will be loaded on my Windows laptop for my Ram
It's Bluetooth. The operating system should not have anything to do with compatibility. That said nearly any adaptor will work. Mine was like $11 from ebay back around 15 years ago.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The $12 wiring harness the op is speaking of might be the security gateway bypass (SGW) which is necessary for alfaobd on 2019 and up Rams.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The $12 wiring harness the op is speaking of might be the security gateway bypass (SGW) which is necessary for alfaobd on 2019 and up Rams.
Unlikely.
You use resistors and stuff to install LED equipment in areas that expect halogen (I know this is not the correct way to explain it)

In my Silverado I had a mystery box at each taillight that would truck the system into thinking it was the old tailight as I converted mine to LEDs, I would call that a wiring harness.

A SGW does NOTHING on it's own nor would it change how LEDs work.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Not only AlfaOBD but also a TazerDT can do this. And you can also do a lot of other things with it.

Just search the forum for those 2 solutions.

5280Ram

Reaction score
OK, hopefully final question, TazerDT is $329.00, claims to do everything without additional software or 3rd party downloads. Supposedly functional with virtually every manufacturer that I and my kids drive. Does anyone have personal experience with this, or this,

BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android? TIA​

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can use Jscan to do it if you have Apple devices. I’ve done it and provided instructions

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
X2 on the JScan. Easy enough to DL the app and make changes with the Security Bypass Cable. And Apple compatible which was the selling point for me. ~$60 for OBDII Bluetooth, cable and Licensing fee.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
X2 on the JScan. Easy enough to DL the app and make changes with the Security Bypass Cable. And Apple compatible which was the selling point for me. ~$60 for OBDII Bluetooth, cable and Licensing fee.
Yup. I got the MC+ adapter and the bypass cable. I havent even unplugged the cable, just left it in

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, hopefully final question, TazerDT is $329.00, claims to do everything without additional software or 3rd party downloads. Supposedly functional with virtually every manufacturer that I and my kids drive. Does anyone have personal experience with this, or this,

BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android? TIA​

I believe Tazer DT is VIN locked. Someone else can confirm.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
It's not "locked" because you can "unmarry" it and use it on another vehicle. But you have to marry and unmarry it with each vehicle everytime you swap vehicles. When you unmarry the tazer I believe your vehicle goes back to stock because tazer is "live only" and doesn't actually turn things off/on forever.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not "locked" because you can "unmarry" it and use it on another vehicle. But you have to marry and unmarry it with each vehicle everytime you swap vehicles. When you unmarry the tazer I believe your vehicle goes back to stock because tazer is "live only" and doesn't actually turn things off/on forever.
Kind of my point, I just wasn't typing all that out :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread