5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey from Minnesota

Jaysond

Reaction score
Hi from Owatonna, MN.
Hopefully will have my black 2019 Limited by the end of the month. I ordered it May and it is being shipped this week.
I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Wow, eTorque / Rambox with the Indigo/Frost interior, beautiful. Should be stunning in person!

Hunts99

Reaction score
reasonably priced Laramie, sticker was under $50K. Quad cab with bench seat saves a ton of $. I wanted

My wife gave me the "go-ahead" to get a truck. I think that she is annoyed of me talking about wanting one and talking about them for the last 3+ years. I have never 1) owned a truck before and 2) owned a new vehicle, so this will be a new experience for sure.

I was going to get one that was more "stripped down" but this thing will hopefully last 10+ years (I was either going to get the Big Horn with the Black appearance or the Laramie with the Black appearance package and the wife liked the looks of the Laramie better....so here we are).

I know that we will want to use the truck for family stuff on the weekends and leave the Mazda CX9 in the garage just due to the creature comforts of the new truck (and the size of the crew cab back seat

I did order it from Waconia. Found out that the Sales Manager is like my second cousin that I hadn't seen in 20+ years so hopefully he will treat 'family' right :)

I was looking a lot online for options (running boards, bed liners, etc.) before I decided to get it built with that (and under warranty). There are a lot of websites out there that have running boards but finding ones for the '19's are a little tricky. The wheel liners can be bought fairly cheap as well, apparently you need 2 extra screws per side (per a YouTube video) and can be done yourself.

I totally agree about the new Chevy's. The exterior is nothing special and the interiors (where you spend 90% of your time) is awful and extremely cheap looking.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Greetings, really glad I found this site! Have read a lot of helpful information already, helped me decide on a new truck. I just bought a '19 Laramie Quad Cab in Ivory Tri-Coat, with the Off-Road pkg. and the Level 1 Equipment Group.

First off, I couldn't believe how affordable the Laramie is compared to Tradesman and Big Horn. It was a no brainer to me to go with a Laramie, not much more $ for lots of useful equipment. I'm a general contractor & drive a lot, sometimes off road in mud and what not, so a loaded high end truck isn't right for me. Really would be satisfied with a Tradesman, but for the price of a so-so equipped Tradesman, it makes little sense to me. Same with Big Horn, which is what I thought I wanted, but option up a Big Horn a little & you might as well get a Laramie & go easy on the options, won't cost much more for a significantly nicer truck.

I'm really liking the Off-Road package so far. It is firm, has a bit of a 3/4 ton feel to it. Very nice. It is a little rougher on the highway than my '14 Chevy was though. I think after putting 1,200 miles on this truck that the whole Ram coil spring thing might be a little over hyped. I'm very convinced that my Chevy had a more "car-like" ride than the Ram does, which is fine, I like the firm truck feel of the Ram, but I'm just sayin'. The Chevy was not a Z71, so apples to oranges compared to the Off-Road Pkg Ram I now have, but even when test driving a Ram without the package, I'm not convinced that you would pick the Ram over my Chevy as being more car-like. Anyway, it's a truck, so a little more firm suspension is perfect for me, Chevy was too soft & bouncy in any kind of terrain. The Ram seems to sit much higher, it's a more commanding view & just feels so much better than the Chevy did with it's wide, flat square hood to look over. The Ram has character! Nice Hemi rumble, didn't think I'd like that as much as I do.

I've been Chevy since my first new Chevy pickup in '88. Between Chevys and GMC's, I've had a new 88, 92, 99, 01, 03, 05, 07, 13, and 14. So, I do know a little about GM pickups. Many hundreds of thousands of miles between these trucks. They were very reliable overall, can't say much bad about any of them. OK those 88's were not outstanding pickups, but that was a while ago. The 2014 was a great truck overall, 85,000 trouble free miles, quiet / smooth / comfortable on the highway, no rattles & still drives like new. I've been trying with little luck to get excited about the '19 GM's; the pictures and info out there so far just isn't what I was hoping for. I'm not one of the brand jumpers who runs at top speed from brand to brand every time the media proclaims a new number one, but I'm border line insulted with that fugly thing GM has on it's way. If that's the best they can do, including the interior that looks by the pictures to be the same so-so interior as the '14's, it's time to try something different.

So, here I am. There will no doubt be some issues, guess we get through these together, whatever they may be. Anyone else wonder what's up with the auto high beam headlights going up/down/up/down/up/down when "meeting" a road sign? My '11 Chrysler 300 had auto dimming lights that were right almost all the time, not so in the new truck, unusable in my opinion on our roads (lots of highly reflective signs). I'm hoping a future software download will improve this, can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. Anyone try to make a call on the android auto phone yet (while in motion), or should I say try to access your contacts to make a call while in motion? Got a lot to learn about android auto I'm thinking.

Happy to be here, I've already learned a lot from you guys & am looking forward to being able to contribute!
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forums!

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
My wife gave me the "go-ahead" to get a truck. I think that she is annoyed of me talking about wanting one and talking about them for the last 3+ years. I have never 1) owned a truck before and 2) owned a new vehicle, so this will be a new experience for sure.

It took me a while to convince the wife to get a truck also. Started out with a lease of an Express model 2014 Ram - it was inexpensive and very non-committal. She was happy with it. The crew cab was more than enough space for two kids, dog and comfortable for adding a third adult in the back when needed. We stepped up to a Big Horn 2 year lease in 2016, as I was awaiting a model year change. When our lease came due, we test drove a 17 limited and a 19 limited back to back. While my wife origionally said we were not going to pony up for the 19, she almost instantly changed her mind once she drove the 19 as it was improved in almost every way. So here we are coming up on the third Ram now ... ordered from Shakopee.

Would also note a hard top tonneau like Bakflip was great addition to utilizing the space for errands and keeping things safe/dry in the bed.

Jaysond

Reaction score

I was going to get one that was more "stripped down" but this thing will hopefully last 10+ years (I was either going to get the Big Horn with the Black appearance or the Laramie with the Black appearance package and the wife liked the looks of the Laramie better....so here we are).

I know that we will want to use the truck for family stuff on the weekends and leave the Mazda CX9 in the garage just due to the creature comforts of the new truck (and the size of the crew cab back seat

I did order it from Waconia. Found out that the Sales Manager is like my second cousin that I hadn't seen in 20+ years so hopefully he will treat 'family' right :)

I was looking a lot online for options (running boards, bed liners, etc.) before I decided to get it built with that (and under warranty). There are a lot of websites out there that have running boards but finding ones for the '19's are a little tricky. The wheel liners can be bought fairly cheap as well, apparently you need 2 extra screws per side (per a YouTube video) and can be done yourself.

I totally agree about the new Chevy's. The exterior is nothing special and the interiors (where you spend 90% of your time) is awful and extremely cheap looking.

Smart move with running boards from Ram. I heard many of the aftermarket black running boards tend to rust out fast, warranty would be nice. I think I've had running boards on every truck I've ever owned, I was tempted to leave them off this time but I'm getting so much grief from the family every time they get in & out that I'm sure I'll end up caving in & getting them.

All black? That's a lot of black to keep clean for the next 10 years. Congrats on the new truck decision, you will have to update everyone on how it goes!

Might want to think about the extended warranties they offer if you're planning to keep long term, seems like a decent deal for a lot of added protection (and I am not normally a fan of extended warranties). I'm still thinking about it, with all the miles I put on, that unlimited miles plan looks real attractive.

Reactions: 356

Jaysond

Reaction score
Would also note a hard top tonneau like Bakflip was great addition to utilizing the space for errands and keeping things safe/dry in the bed.

Yeah that's one thing those who haven't had a truck before will probably learn fast; you can haul a lot more things inside even a smaller SUV than inside a pickup, unless you get a box cover. Box would seem to me to have very limited use to the average city person when it's uncovered. And hauling long things - we use our Grand Cherokee for hauling long skinny things, as they will fit in there but not in the pickup box or the pickup cab.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's one thing those who haven't had a truck before will probably learn fast; you can haul a lot more things inside even a smaller SUV than inside a pickup, unless you get a box cover. Box would seem to me to have very limited use to the average city person when it's uncovered. And hauling long things - we use our Grand Cherokee for hauling long skinny things, as they will fit in there but not in the pickup box or the pickup cab.
That being said, a ginormous rear seat area and RamBoxes also help with storage...

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HUNTS99, I second the MOPAR lifetime warranty if you are going to keep it 10years. It will add $2000 to $2745 depending on the deductible ($100,$200 or $500). Those are pay in full prices, but there are some good payment plans also. Go to the Warrenty forum for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread