5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey from Minnesota

Jaysond

Reaction score
Greetings, really glad I found this site! Have read a lot of helpful information already, helped me decide on a new truck. I just bought a '19 Laramie Quad Cab in Ivory Tri-Coat, with the Off-Road pkg. and the Level 1 Equipment Group.

First off, I couldn't believe how affordable the Laramie is compared to Tradesman and Big Horn. It was a no brainer to me to go with a Laramie, not much more $ for lots of useful equipment. I'm a general contractor & drive a lot, sometimes off road in mud and what not, so a loaded high end truck isn't right for me. Really would be satisfied with a Tradesman, but for the price of a so-so equipped Tradesman, it makes little sense to me. Same with Big Horn, which is what I thought I wanted, but option up a Big Horn a little & you might as well get a Laramie & go easy on the options, won't cost much more for a significantly nicer truck.

I'm really liking the Off-Road package so far. It is firm, has a bit of a 3/4 ton feel to it. Very nice. It is a little rougher on the highway than my '14 Chevy was though. I think after putting 1,200 miles on this truck that the whole Ram coil spring thing might be a little over hyped. I'm very convinced that my Chevy had a more "car-like" ride than the Ram does, which is fine, I like the firm truck feel of the Ram, but I'm just sayin'. The Chevy was not a Z71, so apples to oranges compared to the Off-Road Pkg Ram I now have, but even when test driving a Ram without the package, I'm not convinced that you would pick the Ram over my Chevy as being more car-like. Anyway, it's a truck, so a little more firm suspension is perfect for me, Chevy was too soft & bouncy in any kind of terrain. The Ram seems to sit much higher, it's a more commanding view & just feels so much better than the Chevy did with it's wide, flat square hood to look over. The Ram has character! Nice Hemi rumble, didn't think I'd like that as much as I do.

I've been Chevy since my first new Chevy pickup in '88. Between Chevys and GMC's, I've had a new 88, 92, 99, 01, 03, 05, 07, 13, and 14. So, I do know a little about GM pickups. Many hundreds of thousands of miles between these trucks. They were very reliable overall, can't say much bad about any of them. OK those 88's were not outstanding pickups, but that was a while ago. The 2014 was a great truck overall, 85,000 trouble free miles, quiet / smooth / comfortable on the highway, no rattles & still drives like new. I've been trying with little luck to get excited about the '19 GM's; the pictures and info out there so far just isn't what I was hoping for. I'm not one of the brand jumpers who runs at top speed from brand to brand every time the media proclaims a new number one, but I'm border line insulted with that fugly thing GM has on it's way. If that's the best they can do, including the interior that looks by the pictures to be the same so-so interior as the '14's, it's time to try something different.

So, here I am. There will no doubt be some issues, guess we get through these together, whatever they may be. Anyone else wonder what's up with the auto high beam headlights going up/down/up/down/up/down when "meeting" a road sign? My '11 Chrysler 300 had auto dimming lights that were right almost all the time, not so in the new truck, unusable in my opinion on our roads (lots of highly reflective signs). I'm hoping a future software download will improve this, can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. Anyone try to make a call on the android auto phone yet (while in motion), or should I say try to access your contacts to make a call while in motion? Got a lot to learn about android auto I'm thinking.

Happy to be here, I've already learned a lot from you guys & am looking forward to being able to contribute!

Jaysond

Reaction score
Jaysond, which part of MN. I'm in SW corner.

Out in the country, just north of New Germany. Twenty minutes east of Hutchinson, or 15 minutes west of Waconia. Where in SW corner? Going to Sioux Falls this weekend.

Jaysond

Reaction score
Worthington MN. 55 miles East of SF on I90
Not too far from Luverne, hope the Luverne truck parts company gets their side steps ready soon for the new Ram trucks! Technically I guess they moved to Brandon awhile back for tax purposes.

Rupbre

Reaction score
Yes, Luverne is a great town and its unfortunate they moved to Brandon

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Hello MN neighbor. I'm a citidiot in the sw metro and commute to mpls each day. I have always been drawn to GMC/Chevy and a few of my friends have them (including denali trim), but this will be my 3rd Ram, mostly due to relative value in the past (on their leases), and now going with a 19 limited because I actually prefer it to what GMC offers. All these trucks are very capable and interesting to hear perspective of new Ram owners coming from other brands.

Jaysond

Reaction score
I know where that is nice out that way I used be in Maple Grove
Nice in Maple Grove, but I think I'd pick Kasson as well! Even Kasson is a big city compared to New Germany though. Peace & quiet out here on the prairie!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Welcome! Another Minnesotan here...I'm from Faribault, just south of the cities on I-35.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Welcome to all, I'm from Owatonna. I ordered a 2019 Limited back in May. My order went to a D1 status quickly with a ship date of June 13th. It is a etorque with rambox. Order status has not changed, nor has the ship date. I just keep waiting and enjoy 5thgenrams comments and postings from others.

Hunts99

Reaction score
Out in the country, just north of New Germany. Twenty minutes east of Hutchinson, or 15 minutes west of Waconia. Where in SW corner? Going to Sioux Falls this weekend.

Mayer, MN here!!! I haven't seen any new RAMS driving out in our neck of the woods yet. Thought I may be one of the first!

Jaysond

Reaction score
Mayer, MN here!!! I haven't seen any new RAMS driving out in our neck of the woods yet. Thought I may be one of the first!

Hey,

I haven't seen any around here either. Kind of surprising. I've seen a couple new Chevys in the last week, and they just started showing up at dealers in the last couple weeks. Geeze those things are ugly, I looked a few over this weekend on a dealer lot & just can't figure out a way to like the looks of them. I did see a black Ram in Victoria the other day. I go through Mayer on a regular basis, was just there yesterday for awhile but it's usually during the day.

Mine is a reasonably priced Laramie, sticker was under $50K. Quad cab with bench seat saves a ton of $. I wanted bucket seats this time but compared the 2 & there were pros and cons to each, buckets with the console just wasn't that much nicer. Yours with Level 2, Crew Cab, big screen - cost really adds up! I'd love to have one like that though. I put on so many miles for work that it'd be a shame to watch an expensive rig like that depreciate. Maybe the next one! I use it for work so it has to go off-road every now & then (easy off road though). I wanted the 6' box for work so I went with the smaller cab so it'd still fit in my garage OK. We have a Grand Cherokee for family stuff. I do like the off road pkg but it is a little firm on the road. Your big screen is going to be nice, and I wish I had the wheelhouse liners & the big gas tank, I took mine from dealer stock in Litchfield so I took what they had. I also wish I had the lower gears, it might have switched into econ mode more often than it does (seldom) and would have had a higher tow rating. You order from Waconia?

I'm looking for black side steps for mine; none were available a couple months ago when I got the truck, should check again. I've never liked white (think refrigerator) but for some reason I liked this one, and it blends in at work / job sites (home construction) so white it is. Black is a lot of work...!

Phiefer

Reaction score
Hi from Owatonna, MN.
Hopefully will have my black 2019 Limited by the end of the month. I ordered it May and it is being shipped this week.
I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Users who are viewing this thread