5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hesitation when ordering 2022 Ram and the EV options?

2022_oh_yeah

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post.

I'm about to order 2022 Limited with most of the available options. I'll hold on to the truck for a while after the lease is over, 5-7+ years.

But as I'm ordering it, I'm thinking, is this the right move? Maybe I should wait for 2024 Ram EV or maybe F150 lighting.

On the flip side, I don't think the EV pickups will be "ready ready" for a few more years.

Thoughts? Is anyone else hesitant when ordering their new truck knowing that the EV options are around the corner?

Thanks.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you feel the need to wait for the next best thing, then you'll never buy a truck. There's always going to be a newer/shinier/cooler option in the works.

My honest opinion, you won't want to buy the first EV trucks. They'll have tons of problems, let someone else work out the kinks. My guess is the EVs won't be ready for the masses for 3-4 years.

2022_oh_yeah

Reaction score
If you feel the need to wait for the next best thing, then you'll never buy a truck. There's always going to be a newer/shinier/cooler option in the works.

My honest opinion, you won't want to buy the first EV trucks. They'll have tons of problems, let someone else work out the kinks. My guess is the EVs won't be ready for the masses for 3-4 years.
Thanks for your reply; that's my thought process as well. This is the reason why I'm going with the lease option vs financing so in 3 years I can either buy out the truck or turn it in.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the idea of an EV truck, and would be interested in the Lightning when it comes out. Two things hold me back:

1. Charging. I go on a lot of road trips, many of those involve towing (which will DRASTICALLY reduce range). I have no desire to spend 30-45 minutes every 100-150 miles charging my truck + trailer. Also the general charging infrastructure off the highway is......marginal at best (not to mention probably only L2 chargers) and usually non-existent. This is the biggest hurdle.

2. Even if I did buy a lightning, it wouldn't be the first year model. I'd wait a couple years to get the bugs worked out. That puts me at 2024 at the earliest. Lots of things can happen by then.

...And no, I would not be caught dead in a Cyber"truck"

Also, this truck might be the last new V8 I buy. I may just keep it forever even after I buy an EV truck.

Last edited:

djjr50

Reaction score
First year vehicles are well known for their issues, usually addressed by recalls. Take the 2019 Ram (of which I own)...many problems were fixed via recalls and most of them were not eTorque related. I am on hold to get my Rambox lids replaced and the running board motor on the driver's side replaced. Rear window replacement, dash replacement, steering rack replaced, tailgate cable replaced...all I have had done and probably more than I cant think of.

That is just the vehicle itself, which is based off 100+ year motor design. Therefore, if you are wondering if you want to skip those inevitable issues, then look at the 2nd or 3rd year.

HOWEVER, if you are wondering if EV is a viable REPLACEMENT for ICE engines (infrastructure, longetivity, repairs, etc), then I think you would have to individualize your situation. If you live in a metropolis, EV infrastructure is pretty stout. If you have access to a 220v where you live, then you can eliminate most daily worries of range anxiety. If you have owned a Ram before, then you probably have lowered expectations of dealer support (to a degree...some locations are better than others). I meet those qualifications. I plan on my next truck being electric and my wife has a Rivian R1S on reserve so I hope to know more realistically how EV life is really soon.

To answer your question with the limited input, I'd lease for the next 3-4 years and see what the market looks like. I also believe (no real data to back it up besides my hunch) that the value of ICE trucks will begin dropping over the next 2-3 years due to the emergence of EV trucks. The reason trucks sell so high in numbers is because not just those who tow, haul and work with them for the PRIMARY reason. These folk like the roominess, relatively comfort and utility they provide and will begin moving to EV's all around, including EV trucks, as they become more available.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, my first post.

I'm about to order 2022 Limited with most of the available options. I'll hold on to the truck for a while after the lease is over, 5-7+ years.

But as I'm ordering it, I'm thinking, is this the right move? Maybe I should wait for 2024 Ram EV or maybe F150 lighting.

On the flip side, I don't think the EV pickups will be "ready ready" for a few more years.

Thoughts? Is anyone else hesitant when ordering their new truck knowing that the EV options are around the corner?

Thanks.
It's really about your attitude.

If you want all of the benefits of next-gen technology, and you're willing to deal with potential 'growing pains' that may require warranty trips, then you'll regret your current purchase as soon as you see those new trucks on the road.

But if you want to give yourself the best chance of enjoying a nice truck, and you're okay with not being the first person in town with an EV pickup, then you can order now and enjoy watching these vehicles come to market over the next five years. By that point, you should be spoiled for choice.

Kaderast

Reaction score
A lot of good responses here so far. I was a bit in the same boat before I ordered my '21. Similar to others though, I live in a mostly rural area, long road trips, and towing longer distances, my life just isn't ready for an EV yet.

However, if you live in an urban area with better charging infrastructure and towing isn't something you do with your truck, I think I would seriously consider waiting another year or two for the electrified Ram.

As far as issues.....every vehicle has its downfalls. Nothing is perfect. Especially with so much automation, computers, chips, electronics, etc in everything now. Whatever EV you end up going with, just make sure the dealer is solid!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I’ve placed my order for my 2022. My long term plans are to pay off the truck, and getting something electric after that (could be a truck, but I’m open to an SUV).

Personally, I always like waiting 1-2 years after a redesign/ new model vehicle comes out to iron out any issues.

I used to be on the bandwagon in that I wanted to be first. Years of experience have taught me that when your first at something, you will be the first to find major issues…lol

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

ben b

Reaction score
I live in California where we have grid electricity much of the time. My wife's Prius hybrid makes a ton of sense--near zero fuel costs (I'm lucky-- my home solar generates enough juice for 30 miles per day) combined with the certainty of transportation because of its ICE. I am not against full electric cars in principal, especially for those fortunate enough to afford backup transportation or personal solar systems.

But.... the combination of problems in early, SW intensive technology with the current uncertainty of California's electric grid would make me hesitant to recommend a full electric from a manufacturer still in the learning phase.

Eventually all these issues will get sorted out.

pixelcloak

Reaction score
I went from an a 2014 Ram 1500 to and all electric Jaguar i-Pace SUV and then back to a 2021 Ram. Lessons I learned:

1. Charging at home is ok, but charging on long trips - sucks. Not just in time (about 40 minutes per stop every 200 miles with a DC Fast Level 3 charger), but also in availability. There were some places in my state where I could get there, but not get back home. Basically if you're not on the Interstate - you're probably out of luck. More stations in more areas is the answer to this but we're not there yet.

2. Time - yeah no getting around this. Taking 30 - 45 minutes out of your trip for every charging stop (assuming you're at a DC Fast station) adds hours to your trip. Expect to do this even more if you're towing. Which I wonder how that's going to work as right now there are no charging stations that can accommodate a truck plus trailer.

3. Driving an Electric vehicle is fun as hell. Instant torque at almost any speed, no transmission, no engine noise, no vibrations or exhaust smells. Just point the car and go... fast. If you've never driven one, its hard to explain how much fun it is.

There are solutions to these challenges but I expect it to take longer than a few years to work out. Just my 2 cents.

2022_oh_yeah

Reaction score
After reading all the replies, I’m keeping my order. Yes, EVs are the future but not for another 5 years or so. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After reading all the replies, I’m keeping my order. Yes, EVs are the future but not for another 5 years or so. Thanks everyone.

Does this mean we have to stop bashing EV's now, or can we keep going?

2022_oh_yeah

Reaction score
It’s my post and you have my permission to do so. LOL.

giphy.gif

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Get cho truck. Do it now. You will be happy.

When the Ram 1500 EV comes along, add it to your collection or trade in your existing truck, enjoy yourself.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today’s battery technology is all that is holding back electric vehicles from taking over. I do several 3500km trips per year while towing a trailer. I couldn’t imagine how many times I’d have to stop and charge on one of those trips and the amount of time It would take to make the same trip due to charging would be insane.

15-16 hours one way with my current truck which is around 1500km. If I had to stop every 500km and charge for a couple of hours it would turn into a two day drive really fast. Add a trailer behind the truck and you’d have to stop every 200-300km.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Today’s battery technology is all that is holding back electric vehicles from taking over. I do several 3500km trips per year while towing a trailer. I couldn’t imagine how many times I’d have to stop and charge on one of those trips and the amount of time It would take to make the same trip due to charging would be insane.

15-16 hours one way with my current truck which is around 1500km. If I had to stop every 500km and charge for a couple of hours it would turn into a two day drive really fast. Add a trailer behind the truck and you’d have to stop every 200-300km.
Those are good numbers to consider.

If you were driving 1500 km (930 miles) and the advertised range is 500 miles (800 km), you'd have to charge twice (presuming you wouldn't or couldn't run the range to zero). Now that's not too bad if you're going to stop 3-4 times anyway for bio breaks and meals. You'd need to know the charge time requirements to get you to 50-75% charge capacity, as well as the availability of charging stations along your route. But the math might work out just fine.

The towing example is where the ICE/hybrid argument still wins out. If you'd have to stop every 250 miles (400 km), that would add at least 1-2 extra stops along your route. That might not be a deal breaker if the breaks are relatively short and charging stations are available. But if you'd have to spend 45 minutes at each stop, or if you have to go out of your way to plug in, you'd be adding at least 90 minutes to your journey over what you might spend with normal bio/meal breaks.

Given the rapid rate of advancement of battery technology, I really think the range issue will be solved in the near- to medium-term. In the meantime, I just can't understand why true extended-range hybrid trucks haven't taken hold. More torque, better efficiency, and a huge range...aside from the price tag, what's not to like?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the meantime, I just can't understand why true extended-range hybrid trucks haven't taken hold. More torque, better efficiency, and a huge range...aside from the price tag, what's not to like?
I imagine it's not as simple as we think it would be. If you still have to lug around a gas engine, AND you want to have a meaningful hybrid drive, then you'd be adding hundreds of pounds to the existing weight of the vehicle. So let's say you've got an average Ram DT with 1,400 lbs of available payload. Adding enough battery (and motors) to make a long-haul trip would surely cut your payload in half. Now add the people, and you've got nothing left for towing/hauling.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine it's not as simple as we think it would be. If you still have to lug around a gas engine, AND you want to have a meaningful hybrid drive, then you'd be adding hundreds of pounds to the existing weight of the vehicle. So let's say you've got an average Ram DT with 1,400 lbs of available payload. Adding enough battery (and motors) to make a long-haul trip would surely cut your payload in half. Now add the people, and you've got nothing left for towing/hauling.
Some re-engineering of the rolling chassis is required to support meaningful hybridization, absolutely. But if you've been paying attention to the hybrid semi tractors under development (e.g. the Nikola Two), the possibilities become clear. The incredible torque output of supplementary electric motors more than offsets additional vehicle weight, and range can be outstanding in hybrid form. A current 1-ton chassis might be better-suited for this than the 1/2-ton platform.

Kaderast

Reaction score

I was watching closely about 4 or 5 years ago I think, Rivian was all on board with putting out a plug in hybrid. It ran the first 50 miles on all electric, then the 3.0L V6 kicked in to charge batteries, but it still was running on electric. Sounded very appealing, plug it in at home overnight, do your daily commute and errands running mostly on electric, but if you wanted to tow or go on road trips you had unlimited gas range.

It never hit the market, Rivian completely ditched the hybrid and is now all in on full electric. So there was obviously some issue with the hybrid concept.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It never hit the market, Rivian completely ditched the hybrid and is now all in on full electric. So there was obviously some issue with the hybrid concept.
Either that, or the boss finally said, "Hey what are you doing? If you're going to haul around a fuel-burning engine, why waste all the weight (and inefficiencies) of trying to charge batteries? Just send the engine power to the wheels, and it will work better."
And then the employees said (in a sniveling voice), "Well that's not green enough."
And the boss stormed out of the room, pulling the plug on the whole concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online