5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hesitation off the line when trans/engine is cold - anyone else?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The hesitation off the line is programmed into the ECU. The pedal commander type products are only going to help a little, essentially more aggressive throttle pedal maps. It must be reflashed, and Ram will not support their trucks by releasing a normal throttle response calibration, for EPA reasons. Unfortunately, sometimes that gets us frustrated to the point of squealing tires, higher emissions from higher throttle, pedal commanders, and aftermarket ECU calibrations. Obviously, it irritates everyone that drives them and has to lose warranty (or worse in restrictive states) if they choose to fix the problem with aftermarket calibrations. I had higher hopes that the etorque could've been used for this purpose also. I would've gladly taken the whole area under the backseat to be battery if it would help get it off the line with less emissions. Missed opportunity, sad.

I got a friend who programs the GM trucks at the testing grounds. When I mentioned I was doing 2 of my GM cars, he wouldn't talk to me for 2 years! He seemed offended, but I said we simply have different objectives. You got yours EPA approved, mine drives correctly. He talks to me again, but we don't talk about this subject. :)

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned a '20 1500 for about two "miserable" years and 20k miles. It has been in twice and I've gotten the same response from the techs. It shifts fine. ...another time I was told that "it shifts like a truck". I asked the kid (I'm 54) if he owns "a truck". He sheepishly said no. This thing shifts like a 16 year old learning how to drive a manual transmission. This thing thinks that it is in a sport mode and likes to rev up and then shift. ...and the torque converter doesn't unlock until about 12 mph. ...downshifting also sucks. Everyone (like TFL on youtube) talks about the ZF trans like they are smooth and quick shifting (that alone garners a laugh from me) I have test driven a couple of other 1500's over time. They do it also. I do question if it is a matter of poor programming of the ECM. If I drive it like I stole it... It does shift somewhat normally. But with kids in the truck, that's not an option.

...as I've been told that the fluid level is in spec. My next move is to try a pedal commander. Maybe this will mask the issue enough. ...$300 is cheaper than the price of a new truck.

Mark

As a side-note... I've contemplated the godzilla motor, but I can't stand the Ford '90's interior!
Wwhhhaaa??, is this real?

Users who are viewing this thread