5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hertz is selling 20,000 used EVs due to high repair costs

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So a bunch of used Teslas for sale with dead batteries, so add $20k onto the used price lol.
Can you beat up electric motors like you can beat up an engine/transmission? I would give them $5000 for a used model 3.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I thought the EVs were to have little to no maintenance?
If I were to guess it is due to no one wanting to rent one.
When in Vegas, they gave us an option for a Tesla rental but since we were driving out to the dessert we didn't want to run out of a charge.
Also, you have to return it fully charged which means before returning we would have had to drive around in an unfamiliar area searching for a charging station.
No only that, the area surrounding Vegas is not a place you want to be sitting around for 30-60 minutes waiting for a car to charge.
Imagine being on vacation with your kids having to sit in a car in a sketchy area for 30-60 minutes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean you need to replace the battery which costs as much if not more than an engine.
Is that considered maintenance? It's a 100% failure rate after enough time no matter how you treat it, with rentals not being treated well so I would say so.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shamelessly stolen from another forum, seems applicable:

View attachment 177051
Yeah, I like to consider alternate views sometimes. Ultimately, I think electrics will continue to rise to the level of their capabilities in the market and reach some kind of equilibrium point. Lightweight, tech-intensive lithium batteries are just the latest adjustment. They'll have their time and place, just not suddenly everywhere.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like to consider alternate views sometimes. Ultimately, I think electrics will continue to rise to the level of their capabilities in the market and reach some kind of equilibrium point. Lightweight, tech-intensive lithium batteries are just the latest adjustment. They'll have their time and place, just not suddenly everywhere.
Lightweight?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lightweight?
Yes, significantly lighter than lead-acid for the same storage capacity.
Light enough to make some aircraft applications, like drones, practical.
And have almost entirely displaced lead and nickel technologies in the rechargeable tool market.

ae5573t

Reaction score
Best ask your customers what your business should offer and not the government to be successful.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were to guess it is due to no one wanting to rent one.
When in Vegas, they gave us an option for a Tesla rental but since we were driving out to the dessert we didn't want to run out of a charge.
Also, you have to return it fully charged which means before returning we would have had to drive around in an unfamiliar area searching for a charging station.
No only that, the area surrounding Vegas is not a place you want to be sitting around for 30-60 minutes waiting for a car to charge.
Imagine being on vacation with your kids having to sit in a car in a sketchy area for 30-60 minutes.

Friend just bought a Tesla and told me he never has to search around for a charging station. The car guides him to the closest charging station. Also, if he enters his planned route, it will ensure he has enough charge to complete that route and direct him to charging stations as needed. It might direct him to recharge at half battery if the car senses it will take more than half a battery to reach the next charging station. It doesn't tell him how long he will have to wait at a charger, but it tells him how long it will take to charge once connected.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Friend just bought a Tesla and told me he never has to search around for a charging station. The car guides him to the closest charging station. Also, if he enters his planned route, it will ensure he has enough charge to complete that route and direct him to charging stations as needed. It might direct him to recharge at half battery if the car senses it will take more than half a battery to reach the next charging station. It doesn't tell him how long he will have to wait at a charger, but it tells him how long it will take to charge once connected.
Still,
I'd much rather spend 6 minutes putting in gas in a "Sketchy" neighborhood than spending an hour or more being somewhat stranded.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But it will be suddenly and everywhere because a certain administration is shoving them down are throats!

ben b

Reaction score
Getting back to Hertz's decision to de-emphasize electrics.... I reserved a car at Hertz & when I went to pick it up, the only one available was a Polestar. It was charged about 70%. I drove the car around 10 miles and returned it around 65% charged. Hertz charged me $35 because I had not brought it back to 70%+ charge. This nearly doubled my rental cost.

I had actually taken the car to a public charger, thinking I could take 10 minutes to top it up. 25 minutes later, with plenty of frustration I left without being able to get the charger to work at all.

If I had rented an ICE car, Hertz would probably have charged me $10 for the gas. Or I could have put some in for $3. Would have taken me about 5 minutes.

I'm not renting another electric car until they get this figured out.

Maybe customer dissatisfaction is another reason Hertz is backing away from electrics.

Users who are viewing this thread