5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herky-jerky Apple maps in UC5...

edehosse

Reaction score
Recently upgraded my 2019 UC4 8.4" to a UC5 12.1", and I noticed something a little weird with Apple maps in CarPlay. Link to a vid I recorded (Sorry for the shakyness - Road was a little bumpy):

As you can see in the first half of the video, with no destination set, the map kind of pauses every few seconds and then snaps back into position. Second half of the vid shows how it reacts when a destination is set - Everything is smooth as butter. CarPlay is on a wired connection in that vid, and all other aspects have no delay (music track change, launching apps/messages/phone, etc.).

I'm guessing this is purely an Apple maps/CarPlay issue as the TomTom nav doesn't exhibit this behavior. Anyone have the same thing happening?

dendros

Reaction score
I don’t believe it’s CarPlay because it doesn’t work do that for me on Google maps but it does do it when I pull up Apple Maps. my understanding is Apple Maps doesn’t tend to download maps ahead of time. It’s more of on the fly. I wonder if it would do the same thing if the maps are preloaded for an area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edehosse

Reaction score
I don’t believe it’s CarPlay because it doesn’t work do that for me on Google maps but it does do it when I pull up Apple Maps. my understanding is Apple Maps doesn’t tend to download maps ahead of time. It’s more of on the fly. I wonder if it would do the same thing if the maps are preloaded for an area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. Tried google maps and it was smooth, so it's strictly an Apple maps thing.

Funny thing is I don't remember it happening on my UC4. Maybe since the screen was smaller it wasn't as noticeable.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
I get this sometimes. The key is either switch apps or switch modes (I.e. vehicle nav) then come back to CarPlay. Then it’s smooth as can be. Also sometimes if you adjust zoom (+/-) all the way and come back to the setting you were at it will work too.

Users who are viewing this thread