5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go... 2019 DT Transmission noise/issues

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Looks like the honeymoon is over. My 2019 Bighorn (4x4 5.7 3:21 Non-E-Torque 34000mi) has started making some strange ringing sound. Only happens in gear, any gear at 1800-2000rpm. As soon as you hit that rpm range it rings. Does not happen in park/or neutral. Also happens in 4Hi,Lo, or Auto. Also having hesitation issues when accelerating. Revs a bit then takes off. Gets scary while merging or right hand turn merging.

I found one other person who had this issue on Youtube. He said he had the Valve body replaced, but the issue came back. After a few more trips to the dealer they eventually replaced the whole transmission. I have had a RAM as my daily driver for 22 years.. finally treated myself to a new one and am starting to regret it. My 2015 had better drive-ability and handling. Any one else hear this sound on thier truck? Trying to weigh my options before taking it to the dealer 20 times so they can tell me its fine. All of this will be on my dime since my warranty just expired (34000mi)

Heres a clip (not mine) of the sound. Fast forward to 2:09... sound like a bell ringing. Very distinct sound.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the honeymoon is over. My 2019 Bighorn (4x4 5.7 3:21 Non-E-Torque 34000mi) has started making some strange ringing sound. Only happens in gear, any gear at 1800-2000rpm. As soon as you hit that rpm range it rings. Does not happen in park/or neutral. Also happens in 4Hi,Lo, or Auto. Also having hesitation issues when accelerating. Revs a bit then takes off. Gets scary while merging or right hand turn merging.

I found one other person who had this issue on Youtube. He said he had the Valve body replaced, but the issue came back. After a few more trips to the dealer they eventually replaced the whole transmission. I have had a RAM as my daily driver for 22 years.. finally treated myself to a new one and am starting to regret it. My 2015 had better drive-ability and handling. Any one else hear this sound on thier truck? Trying to weigh my options before taking it to the dealer 20 times so they can tell me its fine. All of this will be on my dime since my warranty just expired (34000mi)

Heres a clip (not mine) of the sound. Fast forward to 2:09... sound like a bell ringing. Very distinct sound.

This kind of issue would fall under a powertrain warranty which lasts to 60,000 and 5 years so you should be able to take it in

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Yeah, bought the truck with real low miles but was still considered “used”.. dealer said the warranty was not transferable.. but after a few phone calls I found out they were full of it. Going to try another dealer under the power train warranty. Still under the assumption they won’t do anything until I get CEL. But we’ll see. Thanks for the heads up!
still want to know what the hell that sound is lol

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, bought the truck with real low miles but was still considered “used”.. dealer said the warranty was not transferable.. but after a few phone calls I found out they were full of it. Going to try another dealer under the power train warranty. Still under the assumption they won’t do anything until I get CEL. But we’ll see. Thanks for the heads up!
still want to know what the hell that sound is lol
Damn dealerships never want to do warranty work, I hope you find one that will!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We have similar trucks. I’m at 35k right now. Curious to see what the dealer says.

siegsuwa

Reaction score
My 2006 Chevy 2500HD made a similar tranny noise. It was a known issue with the 4L80E planetary gears. Not know to be detrimental to longevity beyond the annoyance.

Hopefully the dealer/RAM can take care of you under warranty. Good use of action cam getting that recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread