5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs ecoboost

Ksilva211

Reaction score
So I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and in other locations where people talk about how slow the hemi is. Yesterday a buddy of mine who happens to have a f150 crew cab short bed xl 4x4 with the 2.7 was in front of me getting onto an interstate on ramp. We were doing around 40 merging on and had a short window to merge before a bunch of cars were coming so we both punched it. I must say I was fully expecting after everything I have read for him to walk away from me. It was not the case at all. I was right on him all the way to 100 when we both let off. So I’m not sure if I’m missing something or what with all the discussion of how fast the fords are and how slow the rams are but I was pretty happy. We are both bone stock I have the 3.92 and I’m not sure what rear end he has but I am a 4x4 limited so obviously way heavier than he is. Just figured I would share!!

glennf14

Reaction score
So I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and in other locations where people talk about how slow the hemi is. Yesterday a buddy of mine who happens to have a f150 crew cab short bed xl 4x4 with the 2.7 was in front of me getting onto an interstate on ramp. We were doing around 40 merging on and had a short window to merge before a bunch of cars were coming so we both punched it. I must say I was fully expecting after everything I have read for him to walk away from me. It was not the case at all. I was right on him all the way to 100 when we both let off. So I’m not sure if I’m missing something or what with all the discussion of how fast the fords are and how slow the rams are but I was pretty happy. We are both bone stock I have the 3.92 and I’m not sure what rear end he has but I am a 4x4 limited so obviously way heavier than he is. Just figured I would share!!
I totally agree with you. I have a heavy Limited as well, and man that HEMI moves the truck no problem and sounds good while doing it too. During break in I would punch it from about 50mph and it was impressive how quickly I'd be pushing 90. No complaints at all from the HEMI. It's all about perspective I guess. If you're accustomed to Corvettes and Mustangs (and even Ford's high output 6 cycl in the Raptor and '19 Limited), then obviously you're gonna be underwhelmed when you drag race a truck down the quarter mile.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I came from a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost and the Ram is noticeably slower off the line and up to about 35-40. From 40+ I feel the Ram is pretty even.

I actually red light dragged a 3.5 Ecoboost to 70 and this more or less played out, he got about a truck length on me before I started to keep pace.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Owned a 3.5 Ecoboost prior to this truck. Decent engine and it towed my 24' enclosed car trailer easily. I haven't pulled the trailer with the Ram yet.

I'm not the least bit concerned whether one or the other is a tenth or two quicker. Neither is very quick. If I'm feeling a little froggy, I have a couple of cars that much better suited for acceleration...... ;)

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Owned a 3.5 Ecoboost prior to this truck. Decent engine and it towed my 24' enclosed car trailer easily. I haven't pulled the trailer with the Ram yet.

I'm not the least bit concerned whether one or the other is a tenth or two quicker. Neither is very quick. If I'm feeling a little froggy, I have a couple of cars that much better suited for acceleration...... ;)

That's been my argument for why keeping the 5.7 unchanged was such a wise move. A few tenths slower than competition's optional engines is no big deal. Money saved there went into the interior, which far more people care about. The 5.7 hemi still bests the 5.3 and most of the other differences between Ram and Ford (performance wise) mainly due to Ford F150 weighing 500 less lbs.

I don't have a truck to drag race...lets leave the TRX/TR to take the performance crown. If they bring the 6.4 to the 1500 i won't buy it because its a few tenths faster 0-60.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check out this comparison:
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/48705/full-size-pickup-comparison-test-battle-royale/

hemi with 3.21 was .2 slower 0-100 kmh but .5 faster than 3.5 ecoboost from 80-120 kmh

0-60 the heavier rams will typically loose but once the trucks are already moving it's game on.
Agreed. I’m coming from larger displacement and/or higher performance vehicles. When I test-drove Rams, the off-the-line sluggishness was noticeable, especially with 3.21 gears. I ordered 3.92 (and eTorque) to help compensate for this. But the HEMI has always been an engine that likes to breathe at higher RPMs, and this Ram is no exception. You’ll never win a 60’ race with a heavy truck and no low RPM power. But you will enjoy driving this truck on the freeway. And it makes the right noises, too!

Richard Rex

Reaction score
My 2018 3.5 eco boost was very fast especially in sport mode and traction control off...That being said, the 10 speed transmission is trash. Super hard shifts up and downshifting. I will take the silky smooth Ram drivetrain any day over ford.

Jordan3206

Reaction score

stebo

Reaction score
I raced my buddy in his F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost from a dead stop up to about 60mph. We both have crew cab short beds. I have the 3.21 open rear end and he has 3.73 (I believe) open rear end. We we dead even. Neither truck pulled on the other.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Just this morning a guy with a shiny new ecoboost pulled up next to me on the highway and punched it. I did not engage, I'm not 18yrs old and plus I had my 2yr old in the back. Never the less, he slowed down and gave me the "I beat you" look. We both had our windows down so I shouted "Sounds like you got a honda civic motor in there!" He was not happy and took off.
It felt good to be driving in a V8 truck and not needing to prove anything since his truck sounded like garbage...

Last edited:

airgas1998

Reaction score
^^^so true..they do sound like poop...the hemi definitely makes the right musical tunes....

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I have read that the 2.7 EB is actually quicker (0-60) than the 3.5.

I suspect both are quicker than the Hemi, on 0-60, simply because they get torque quicker (i.e. at lower RPMs), thanks to boost from the turbo. Once you're moving, that advantage is lost.

I wish my Hemi was quicker and had more power. My last g/f had a Mercedes GLA 250. A little roller skate of an SUV with a turbo 4-banger that is spec'ed at 208 HP. She totally smoked me from a light once. That bothered me way more than what some F150 does.... :-\ I had to buy the drinks when we got where we were going. ;-)

TBH, my Hemi feels a LOT like the Hemi in my 4th Gen ('09). The old one was also 3.92 gears, but had a 6-speed tranny. The new one has eTorque, 3.92 gears, and an 8-speed. Yet the throttle response and general drivability feels just about the same, to me. I was really planning to hold out for an EcoDiesel (that I could put a GDE tune on), or a 1500 with a 6.4L Hemi. But, my '09 was starting to spend more time in the shop than in my driveway. And I could not pass up the discounts FCA was offering in June. I do love my new truck. But, I would love it even more if the engine felt as "new and improved" as the rest of the truck does.

Users who are viewing this thread