5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi to Hurricane

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been a Mopar Man all my life and Im strongly considering a Toyota for my next truck for just this reason.

Say what you will, but if I am going to drive a 1500, I want a V8. Period, full stop.

Do you hear me, Stellanis? Nah, they dont give a s***.

Join the "hemi for life" club. I'd rather glue my interior back together and duct tape the wholes in my frame than flog a tiny whiz banger.

They're still building 6.4's for the 2500 so another option is to save the money on a trade and drop in a new/crate 6.4 in a year or two.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have been a Mopar Man all my life and Im strongly considering a Toyota for my next truck for just this reason.

Say what you will, but if I am going to drive a 1500, I want a V8. Period, full stop.

I've been a Mopar Man all my life as well and if we are being honest, thats been a difficult life. You had 1968ish through 1973 of real Mopars that most would like to own. You can skip all the way to the late 80's when the GLHS, Daytona Shelby and Charger Shelbys came out and they all had turbo 4 cylinders. Next you had Vipers which were cool as S but fairly weak until the Gen 2 and 3 and those were still slow. It wasn't the mid 200's that you had an SRT Challenger which wasn't really much to sing about. Until the Gen 5 Viper, Gen 3 Ram and the Hellcat variants that a Mopar head had anything to really be excited about so losing the V8, IMO, isn't that big a deal and par for the course with Dodge.

Like I said, it's been tough being a Mopar Guy, bad *** engines with little to put them in. Hell, I have a old Racing Head Service Forged 360 Magnum sitting in my garage now with no home and none planned. I'd love to get my hands on a Gen 5 Viper but with most selling in the 200k+ range, thats not going to happen

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a Mopar Man all my life as well and if we are being honest, thats been a difficult life. You had 1968ish through 1973 of real Mopars that most would like to own. You can skip all the way to the late 80's when the GLHS, Daytona Shelby and Charger Shelbys came out and they all had turbo 4 cylinders. Next you had Vipers which were cool as S but fairly weak until the Gen 2 and 3 and those were still slow. It wasn't the mid 200's that you had an SRT Challenger which wasn't really much to sing about. Until the Gen 5 Viper, Gen 3 Ram and the Hellcat variants that a Mopar head had anything to really be excited about so losing the V8, IMO, isn't that big a deal and par for the course with Dodge.

Like I said, it's been tough being a Mopar Guy, bad *** engines with little to put them in. Hell, I have a old Racing Head Service Forged 360 Magnum sitting in my garage now with no home and none planned. I'd love to get my hands on a Gen 5 Viper but with most selling in the 200k+ range, thats not going to happen
SRT8 Challenger was 2008 with the 6.1.

HemiDude

Reaction score

I guess if all you care about is straight line acceleration, you could be right. Both the Viper and SRT Challenger had strong power bands and were quite capable on country roads and road courses alike. 360 was fine for its time, but I would take an NA 392 10/10 times for any purpose. IMO, the v8 is the biggest thing that has kept Dodge relevant in the last 10-15 years.

BowDown

Reaction score
I guess if all you care about is straight line acceleration, you could be right. Both the Viper and SRT Challenger had strong power bands and were quite capable on country roads and road courses alike. 360 was fine for its time, but I would take an NA 392 10/10 times for any purpose. IMO, the v8 is the biggest thing that has kept Dodge relevant in the last 10-15 years.

That's exactly my point, Dodge has had little relevance throughout the years, the switch to the hurricane engines is just a continuation of what Dodge does so we shouldn't be surprised.
The hurricane doesn't really bother me, it will out preform the hemi in every respect. Hopefully the aftermarket comes up with a solution for the exhaust but thats not even a big concern for me

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score

You should probably do your research.

Jmac509

Reaction score
You should probably do your research.
I agree with this. Not specifically about the Hemi, but I recall seeing news articles along the lines of "Stellantis pays record fuel economy fines to EPA". I'd argue they understand what their customers want to the point in paying over a hundred million dollars in fines to continue to sell engines and products we want to buy against the government regulations. I think if they wanted to introduce "cleaner engines" a year sooner a 100 million would have been enough to bring them to market.

I wonder if the hundreds of millions of dollars paid in fines was used for a beneficial purpose or if the EPA restrictions are actually improving things in a meaningful way.

Not to completely derail the thread but I hope the new generation of low emissions engines are reliable across the board for all manufacturers. I'm going to try to stay positive about the Hurricane until we see some evidence proving otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread