5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi tick?

Jack.

Reaction score
Most of the time when I start my truck I'm either in it already or I'm in the house, today however I decided to start it as I was walking towards it and noticed this unusual sound... anyone else etorque 5.7 make noise like this ? ☠️☠️

It goes away after like 15 sec or so.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It could be the exhaust manifold or the injectors ( injectors are normal ) . I’d take it in to the dealer and have them check the manifolds though while you’re under warranty.

Dewey

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like the broken exhaust manifold bolts on my last two Hemi’s. Pretty loud at cold start for 10-15 seconds then settled down as idle dropped.
Is it only one side of the motor or both?

Jack.

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like the broken exhaust manifold bolts on my last two Hemi’s. Pretty loud at cold start for 10-15 seconds then settled down as idle dropped.
Is it only one side of the motor or both?
I can only really hear it from the driver side.

Jack.

Reaction score
It could be the exhaust manifold or the injectors ( injectors are normal ) . I’d take it in to the dealer and have them check the manifolds though while you’re under warranty.
Yup got it scheduled for next week, was just curious of what it could be. Im hoping its just a bolt issue or injector because i remember they told me a few weeks ago manifolds are on back ordered or something. Might just go with headers if thats the case he he he

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mine sounds exactly like yours, last about 1-2 seconds and goes away, but only under a previous short cycle start-up.

I only get that sound if I turn on the truck for a minute and don't really drive it, it will do that on the next start up. Usually if I have to turn it on to move it around the driveway or if someone asked to hear the exhaust and then immediately turn it off, it will tick like that on the next cold start up.

I asked a tech and he told me it's likely do to with a lack of oil in the upper valvetrain due to the short run time from before, something to do with pressures and the oil filter, I can't remember.

But here is a mention of that issue in the owners manual on the left side.... 2022 RAM 1500 Manual Screenshot - Synthetic Oil & Ticking Noise Notes b.jpg

Last edited:

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Most of the time when I start my truck I'm either in it already or I'm in the house, today however I decided to start it as I was walking towards it and noticed this unusual sound... anyone else etorque 5.7 make noise like this ? ☠️☠️

It goes away after like 15 sec or so.

Yes!! Mine is doing it right now. First few seconds of cold start. Gone when hot. It is a snapped exhaust manifold bolt.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Mine sounds exactly like yours, last about 1-2 seconds and goes away, but only under a previous short cycle start-up.

I only get that sound if I turn on the truck for a minute and don't really drive it, it will do that on the next start up. Usually if I have to turn it on to move it around the driveway or if someone asked to hear the exhaust and then immediately turn it off, it will tick like that on the next cold start up.

I asked a tech and he told me it's likely do to with a lack of oil in the upper valvetrain due to the short run time from before, something to do with pressures and the oil filter, I can't remember.

But here is a mention of that issue in the owners manual on the left side.... View attachment 134937
The sound at cold start which dissipates when hot, is a snapped exhaust manifold bolt

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The sound at cold start which dissipates when hot, is a snapped exhaust manifold bolt

Dissipates in 1-3 seconds, completely cold, its only for the first few seconds of start-up and ONLY if proceeding a previous short cold cycle.

For example, if I started my truck to move it a few feet. Like clock work, it will make that sound on the next cold start. But again, the sound is only for about 1-3 seconds at the most, right after start up, then it immediately goes away.

Last edited:

Jack.

Reaction score
Yes!! Mine is doing it right now. First few seconds of cold start. Gone when hot. It is a snapped exhaust manifold bolt.
That's interesting, I told my dealer to look at it and they told me everything seem normal. I kept bugging them and they're now saying it may be the manifold gasket, they're popping it in soon and I should know once they remove the manifold in a few weeks lol

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Dissipates in 1-3 seconds, completely cold, its only for the first few seconds of start-up and ONLY if proceeding a previous short cold cycle.

For example, if I started my truck to move it a few feet. Like clock work, it will make that sound on the next cold start. But again, the sound is only for about 1-3 seconds at the most, right after start up, then it immediately goes away.
Now that you mention it, I have noticed that too.

Jack.

Reaction score
So just an update , my dealer said everything checked out pretty normal. I do hear like a slight vibration when I start my truck and then ofc follow by the sound in the vid. I think I'm just going to throw some afe shorties on. Now , do I just go with oem gaskets or aftermarket ? Anyone has a recommendation ?

spark

Reaction score
That sounds exactly like the noise my truck made, except I noticed it on the passenger side. I brought it in to the dealership and service manager heard it for 2 seconds and said it's either a cracked manifold or broken manifold bolt. Scheduled a service appointment and they replaced both manifolds and the sound is gone now.

If you have another dealership close by I would suggest bringing it to them and see what they diagnose as the problem.

50k miles on my truck also.

Jack.

Reaction score
So the next closest dealer is about 30min from where I'm at. I kept bugging them and drop it off again today, they said everything seems fine. They did mentioned it might have been the oil filter they used initally because they didn't have the oem one but they used a "sistered" one which was same spec as oem? And that may be what causing the sound I'm hearing? Does that make sense to anyone ?

50Front

Reaction score

I just had this happen to me yesterday for the first time at 60,000 miles. It lasted few seconds and occured after a previous short run. Did you find what was causing this?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me yesterday for the first time at 60,000 miles. It lasted few seconds and occured after a previous short run. Did you find what was causing this?

Likely something to do with the oil filter and or the upper valvetrain having oil starvation for those few seconds, directly caused by the previous short run not allowing the oil to get up to temp and circulating.

It does mention this possibility in the manual (posted a few messages above), that it could last as long as 30 seconds but causes no issues to worry about. I've never had it last longer than 1-3 seconds though. To make sure it doesn't happen, if I need to turn on my truck temporarily, like to change parking locations, I usually drive the truck around the block or so to get the oil fully circulated before shut down so it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread