5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi eTorque - Dead as a doornail (Battery under warranty?)

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I agree that it should not happen given its design as a closed system. I just remember the first noise I heard when I hooked my car up to the jumper cables was the compressor kicking in raising the truck. Strange, right?

That said, I did not receive any errors about the air suspension, etc. Do you know what characteristics drive the trigger for an error message?

dajogejr

Reaction score
Based off my experience…not what Mopar says.
Faulty pump or seal, overheating the compressor…
I had my 15 Limited in the shop 4-5 times over 8 years/140K miles for the air ride.
The biggest issue I had was the compressor in cold weather, which I was “told” by the dealer a new compressor with a better seal design came out to address cold weather issues. That wasn’t the case.
in 2020, it sat in their shop for 7 weeks trying to get parts for air ride.
Started acting up in 2023 again, Dealer couldn’t find the issue…and at 140K, it was time for a new truck for me.

When you park, it’s normal for the air ride to settle even after it being shut off.
But having it raised in OR2 once settled, the air ride shouldn’t keep trying to run, if the system is working correctly.
Unless you’re loading it up, etc.

Again, this is just my own experience based on my 15 and my current 23 Limited trucks, both w/ air.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm just a bit concerned with the 12.3 at starting, that’s too low for a healthy battery at rest. Then the voltmeter gauge remains at 13.6-13.8 for 10-15 minutes on a trip into town. When I start it back up to go home, same thing. It doesn't drop down to the 12’s on those trips.
Every Sat and Sun the truck gets a 30 minute one way drive at 55-60 mph, so 2 hours of highway driving each day. The gauge will drop to 12.7 then.
Seems like the 1.5 year old battery is aging out a bit quickly.
My 2019 1500 battery died at a little over a year with about the same usage.
I put my small 4amp charger on the battery for 24 hours, then when driving the same route down to H Depot (7 miles) the voltmeter never got above 12:9 and settled back to 12.7 within a couple miles.

That suggests to me that the battery has a drain on it (but its been driven daily) or its just not holding a charge very well.

I’m not ready to pull fuses or use a clamp on dc meter to try and trace anything, just noting the issue. Wonder if sitting on the dealer lot for 7 months before purchase had anything to do with it… Sulphated battery perhaps?

If I start getting any weird electrical issues I’ll just replace it. Life is too short, and batteries are notorious for causing all kinds of weird sheit.

smashweights

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and confirming how the 48v battery works (it’s a bummer it can’t be used for emergency starts). I did confirm the battery is covered under warranty. I have not had any issues with it, and I’m wondering if it’s another issue that caused this…

When I park in tight spots, I always raise my truck up to Off-road 2 and deploy the side rails so I don’t have people slamming my doors.

What I’m thinking is that my air suspension was engaging to keep the max height, which would have used considerable battery, therefore running it down.

Anyone run into this before?
Nah, there's just crap stock batteries in these trucks. There's a ton of folks who had their factory 12v did we within 2-3 years, myself included.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nah, there's just crap stock batteries in these trucks. There's a ton of folks who had their factory 12v did we within 2-3 years, myself included.
Hey, you have nearly the same truck as I had in 2019 except mine didnt have level 1. That batterylasted 1.5 years… 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread