5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with understanding offsets

Lungs414

Reaction score
Can someone help me with how these are different?
20 x 9 + 0 Dropstars 654
20 x 9 + 1 Fuel Blitz

Leaning toward Terra G2 305/55/20

Also I have a white night edition and 22"s. Just had Mopar lift installed Tuesday. Dealership said bring it back in 500 miles for retorqueing, and do wheels and tires then. So I want to get ready and just don't get the offset effects. On the surface it doesn't appear to be much of a difference.
I will be selling my OEM black 22's, if anyone is interested. NYC/ long island area.
Thanks

OC.13

Reaction score
The Dropstars are 1 mm out further then the Fuels. It is really insignificant. I believe the stock wheels have about + 19.1 offset meaning they are tucked in the wheel well more then the wheels you are looking at. From stock the new wheels will be sitting out about an inch past the fenders. The more negative you go the further the wheels stick out. Check out custom offsets website they have a calculator on their that can compare any sizes you want. Good Luck

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To keep it short and simple:

Offset is how much the hub is moved off the center of the wheel. 0 offset means the hub is centered, so a 9" wide wheel will have the hub of the wheel at 4.5" and it will have 4.5" of backspace (space from hub to engine side of vehicle). Positive offset moves the wheel hub away from the engine, so more backspace. Negative offset moves the wheel hub toward the engine, so less backspace. **For those of you saying "What about the lip of the wheel!!!1!11" this is a simple explanation and works for 99% of all wheels.

For your question of which one is different, @OC.13 is correct. They're basically the same. 1mm of difference over 9" is a 0.4% difference. OEM wheels are different based on trim/package, but if you've got an 8" wide wheel it's probably +18mm offset. This equates to a +6mm offset on a 9" wide wheel to achieve the same backspace. As long as you go +6 or less (more negative) you shouldn't have issues with hitting the spindle.

Users who are viewing this thread