5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with tire choice on 2019 Ram 1500 - XL vs D Rated Tire (Mickey Thompson vs FWP A/T4W)

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies for another tire thread…decisions are tough. Currently have Falken Wildpeak A/T3W’s 275/55/20 XL load rating which have now reached their end of life.

I‘m divided on my next tire choice because I did want to go slightly larger, meaning 275/60/20 or 285/55/20 but keeping with the XL load rating. I have narrowed it down to the FWP A/T4W or the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Problem is there are no tires in XL load rating in 275/60/20. There is a FWP in D load rating but I’m concerned about the effect this tire will have on ride comfort. If someone runs this tire and can confirm whether or not it’s too harsh of a ride that would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, I will need to stick with 275/55/20 which does come in an XL load rating in the FWP A/T4W as well as the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Which one of these two tires would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses…

Black19

Reaction score
I have been running FWP AT3W in 275/60/20 and they were great, but like you said reach there end of life.
I had the same painful decision and after much debate I will be having new wheels and Toyo Open Country AT3’s LT285/60/20 E rated installed tomorrow .
I was between FWP AT4, but they are just to heavy and thought I would try something new.
Ps. My tire guy will exchange if I find I don’t like them after a week.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
I have been running FWP AT3W in 275/60/20 and they were great, but like you said reach there end of life.
I had the same painful decision and after much debate I will be having new wheels and Toyo Open Country AT3’s LT285/60/20 E rated installed tomorrow .
I was between FWP AT4, but they are just to heavy and thought I would try something new.
Ps. My tire guy will exchange if I find I don’t like them after a week.
Thanks for your response. Are the FWP's D load rated that you have now and are being swapped out today? If so, how did they ride? Thanks.

Black19

Reaction score
The ones I have now are “P” rated. They do ride nice. A little loud as the got older. Hoping to keep the pressure on the low side with the 10ply’s going on tomorrow.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies for another tire thread…decisions are tough. Currently have Falken Wildpeak A/T3W’s 275/55/20 XL load rating which have now reached their end of life.

I‘m divided on my next tire choice because I did want to go slightly larger, meaning 275/60/20 or 285/55/20 but keeping with the XL load rating. I have narrowed it down to the FWP A/T4W or the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Problem is there are no tires in XL load rating in 275/60/20. There is a FWP in D load rating but I’m concerned about the effect this tire will have on ride comfort. If someone runs this tire and can confirm whether or not it’s too harsh of a ride that would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, I will need to stick with 275/55/20 which does come in an XL load rating in the FWP A/T4W as well as the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Which one of these two tires would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses…
What is the goal? Comfort? Then almost all of the 60 series are either SL, P, or C range for comfort. Why do you want XL - towing? then D+ is gonna ride stiffer. XL may ride about the same as C.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
What is the goal? Comfort? Then almost all of the 60 series are either SL, P, or C range for comfort. Why do you want XL - towing? then D+ is gonna ride stiffer. XL may ride about the same as C.
To have a slightly larger tire to fill the wheel well more, but without sacraficing too much in the ride. Was thinking at least XL because this is what the truck came with and is on the door jamb sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread