5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with front shocks 2020 BTS

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2020 Bighorn with BTS package. I believe it came with the off-road package as well. When I purchased it, the dealer told me the front struts were shot (and they sure were!) but said they were on back order and unknown when they would get them. So I looked and found that rockauto had them in stock and suggested they buy those so we could resolve the issue sooner. They did so.

I got the truck back yesterday and the front seems to sit lower than when I dropped it off…pics below. Grey wheels before the strut replacement and rebel wheels after replacement.

I’m guessing I chose the wrong shocks? But wouldn’t the spring keep the ride height? Not sure if I just need to add lift spacers or what here. Just would like the truck to sit a little more level.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks! -Cort

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpeg
    IMG_3799.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 37

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
correct it is the springs that give you the ride height. looking at the 1st pic it kind of looks as if the truck had leveling struts/shocks and if that was the case and you replaced them with oem then you lost some height
Did you happened to see the shocks that were removed

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Ok thanks for that. I didn’t see the springs they removed. In my head I thought they were disassembling the strut and just putting in a new shock, but sounds like they replaced the entire strut which means my taller springs may be in the trash by now. I’ll have to call them.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that. I didn’t see the springs they removed. In my head I thought they were disassembling the strut and just putting in a new shock, but sounds like they replaced the entire strut which means my taller springs may be in the trash by now. I’ll have to call them.
well maybe dealer did just change the shocks but if the original owner had for example done his own upgrade to Bilstein 5100 shocks - these shocks can give additional height on top of what the springs already give you and if you got the original Mopar shock from rockauto that could be your answer. That would be one guess
Did you get a copy of the rockauto order with part numbers or an invoice from the work order from the dealer with details or part numbers
This are Bilstein for reference

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was also an issue where stock BTS trucks weren't coming with the proper springs. We had a big ordeal that involved ram finally replacing ours. It's documented in our BTS thread.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Ah ok that would make sense. No I didn’t get any paperwork from them. I’ll see if I can find the picture I sent from Rockauto. I did call them though and they have the old units! So I’m going to pick those up later this week and see what’s up. Thanks for the knowledgeable tip!

Vulpes

Reaction score
It kinda look like the tires were changed? Are both rims 18"? Went from low profile to higher profile? Is it also possible that the newer tires fill more of the wheel wells and it looks lower?

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Thanks Vulpes, yes I did change tires after the repairs and the new set is 1” taller. But there is still noticeably way more rake than before, even if you’re not looking at the gap from tires to fenders.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Thanks Vulpes, yes I did change tires after the repairs and the new set is 1” taller. But there is still noticeably way more rake than before, even if you’re not looking at the gap from tires to fenders.
Ah well, then yeah, Grape Ape and Jl13 have sent you in the right direction. Let us know what happens with it.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Ok! I ordered the fab tech 2.5” leveling kit for the front and put it in this morning. I think now I’m back to sitting about where the truck was before I had struts replaced. I almost went with the 3” level and I probably should have, there is still a slight rake. But it will probably look perfect when I tow the boat! I’m still going to pick up the w original springs from the shop and hang on to them for the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 19

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Nice! Yeah I wanted to end up right where yours sits, but I guess I’ll tinker with it later. I’m happy for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/