5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Borla exhaust for Hemi 5.7

Kam98

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Has anyone Installed Borla exhaust on their hemi's? How does it sound? To cut the cost I'm thinking about getting just the muffler, but not the pipes associated with it? Anybody did the same??
Thanks in advance guys.

Agostino

Reaction score
I have the S-Type on my 2019 Rebel and it sounds great. It’s loud when you step on it of course but when your just cursing it quite no drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sep1006

Reaction score
I just had the S-Type installed on my 2021 and it sounds amazing. Perfect deep rumble at idle, aggressive sound when accelerating and surprisingly quiet when cruising!!!!

Don't know if you have or not but you can go to You Tube and there are plenty of sound clips with the Borla on the 5.7 Hemi.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called Borla to ask what muffler they recommend based on a previous application I had. They said that they don't offer the muffler only option for the 5th gen Ram trucks like they did on my 2006 Silverado where I purchased the GM Performance Touring muffler. They recommended the full system to eliminate drone issues.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Borla ATAK on mine.. cant possibly recommend it enough. Absolutely insane on the Hemi!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I called Borla to ask what muffler they recommend based on a previous application I had. They said that they don't offer the muffler only option for the 5th gen Ram trucks like they did on my 2006 Silverado where I purchased the GM Performance Touring muffler. They recommended the full system to eliminate drone issues.

They mean they don't have a direct-fit muffler application like Flowmaster & Carven for example. But you can get a Borla universal muffler in 3" in/out and have a good muffler shop welded in like a lot of people do.

However, unless you get a full catback system, it will likely drone when in MDS (4-cylinder) mode. There is a reason why the stock muffler looks like a oil barrel, which is to control drone in MDS operation. The higher end full exhaust systems are tuned to avoid or reduce this drone in MDS. Of course, if you turn off your MDS, it won't drone with most aftermarket mufflers just welded in place.

Personally, I think the Flowmaster Outlaw muffler sounds the most like the Borla ATAK. It sounds like a 60s muscle car when you're on it, but doesn't drone when cruising or highway (in 8 cylinder mode). Whichever muffler you choose, you can get one and installed for about $275 out the door. Quite a bit cheaper than a full system.

NiteRAM

Reaction score
I have the touring and I’m happy with it. Gives the truck more exotic sound. There are times when I wish it was a little louder but at least it sounds like a truck now.

NoOtherHobby

Reaction score
I did a Borla muffler swap (Borla Pro XS) on my 2020 Rebel. The sound is nice but I would personally like it louder. You don't hear it at all in the cab when you are in the upper gears and only hear it when you are WOT or in low gears. I imagine it would be good for towing but haven't tested that out yet. If you are looking for a little more growl from the engine without hearing it from the cab a Borla muffler swap is a great choice. If you want to be heard, the Atak or other options that people have mentioned may be more suitable.

NYKBOB

Reaction score
I did the Borla S-Type. This is a cat-back installation. Plenty loud for me. When highway cruising you hardly notice it. Around town it is obvious all the time. If you have the eTorque Start/Stop feature you will notice the kick in every time the engine restarts. I find this cool, as it's like a cold start at every stop light, but it could be annoying for others.
Here is a video I did of the sound:
The audio is not overly accurate as the iPhone auto adjusts volume.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
I have the S-Type on my 2019 Rebel and it sounds great. It’s loud when you step on it of course but when your just cursing it quite no drone.

muffler swap or full cat back?

Bambohunter

Reaction score
I just had the S-Type installed on my 2021 and it sounds amazing. Perfect deep rumble at idle, aggressive sound when accelerating and surprisingly quiet when cruising!!!!

Don't know if you have or not but you can go to You Tube and there are plenty of sound clips with the Borla on the 5.7 Hemi.
muffler swap or full cat back?

West1986

Reaction score
I did the full touring swap. Love it. Perfect sound. I used to have to touring and it was just to loud at higher speeds

Users who are viewing this thread