5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Understanding Towing Mirrors, Power Fold, 360 Cameras

Jerome10

Reaction score
Shopping for a truck and I plan to tow a 6x12 tandem axle enclosed cargo trailer on a regular basis. Never owned a pickup before. Looking at Big Horns, likely with Level 2 package.

After renting a RAM, I realized that I MUST have power folding side mirrors to be able to fit in my garage. Too wide with mirrors out and I do not desire to get out, manually fold, park, and then the opposite every day in the morning.

But also, towing as frequenly as I plan, I'm thinking the towing mirrors are a good idea. After reading the forum, it seems that you cannot even get power folding towing mirrors as factory on the RAM? Do I have that correct? I have to choose either standard mirrors with power fold feature or towing mirrors manual fold only? It is not possible, at all, to get power folding towing mirrors?

And then I've also seen something about not being able to get a 360 camera system with towing mirrors as well. Do I have that correct?

Lastly, assuming I've understood things correctly, is this all 5th gen rams where these restrictions apply? Or is this a 2021-2022 model year restriction related to chip and supply shortages? Meaning, is it possible to find a used 2019 or 2020 with power folding towing mirrors and possibly a 360 camera system?

I generally prefer to leave my vehicles stock, so really not interested to go aftermarket with anything, unless it is Mopar parts that are exactly what the factory would use.

And if I have to choose either regular+power fold or towing and no power fold, will regular be OK for a 6x12? Truck is wide, so perhaps standard mirrors will be sufficient? If I really need to go with the tow mirrors and power fold, then maybe I unfortunately will need to search other brands, which would be a shame as I otherwise find the RAM extremely compelling from a driving perspective as well as value perspective (Big Horn 2 has basically everything I would want, nothing I don't).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You didn't say if you're buying new or used, but you can now have power folding tow mirrors with surround view cameras on the 1500's. On 2019 and 2020 models you couldn't, but that was remedied for the 2021 model year. So if you're shopping for used, make sure you don't look at '19 or '20 models.

cliffsta

Reaction score
When the mirrors are folded, does the surround view stop working?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes and no. The side view cameras are in the mirrors, and those displays become useless. But you still get the front and rear views.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Yes and no. The side view cameras are in the mirrors, and those displays become useless. But you still get the front and rear views.
Dang. I was hoping they were in the bases of the regular (non towing) mirrors. My carport is tight. Guess I’ll have to fold the mirrors after I’ve wiggled my way in. I can’t wait for my truck to get here!

Jerome10

Reaction score
You didn't say if you're buying new or used, but you can now have power folding tow mirrors with surround view cameras on the 1500's. On 2019 and 2020 models you couldn't, but that was remedied for the 2021 model year. So if you're shopping for used, make sure you don't look at '19 or '20 models.
Oh this is super news! I’m not tied too much to new or used, more important to me to find a 5th gen equipped as close as I can to what I need. Kinda a weight lifted as I had pretty much decided on the 1500 over the F150 and didn’t want to start over again.

Edit: forgot to ask about heat as well. Is that now with the power fold tow mirrors?

Last edited:

MrWeatherman

Reaction score
8a770885abc574a9467c53260c7dcc21.jpg

If you decide to order yourself a Ram, the tow mirrors do come heated.

Also, it may vary depending on model and package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SkeeterRAM

Reaction score
Backed out of the garage this morning. A regular occasion with mirrors folded, they all function as if extended.

Like others with trailer mirrors and garage kept truck, it can be done with care. I routinely use the right side to view the cabinets and floor to insure a scratch free entry and exit. Placed and extension cord on the floor as a guide and a block of wood for the right front tire.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I have 2022 Ram with power folding tow mirrors. You can easily see behind a 7’ wide trailer much less a 6’ with the “Standard” Ram mirrors. At 7’-6” to 102”( maximum legal trailer width), the Tow mirrors are a wise choice.

The standard mirrors are more desirable when not towing. The tow mirrors, in the down position, will block more of your view than the standard mirrors. Also, the tow mirrors are NOT dimmable like the standard mirrors. Not being dimming is what I dislike most about tow mirrors for night driving.

I tow 8.5’x 24’ and 6’x 12’. I never put the tow mirrors in the tow position towing the 6’ wide with the Ram. Not needed.

Before I purchased my 2011 Ram, I towed both trailers with a 2004 Hemi Durango with the wider model stock mirrors that are narrower than the Rams. I could easily see around the back of the 6’ wide trailer towing with the Durango. My new 2022 Ram is very much the same as my old 2011 Ram was for towing.

If I was only towing 6’ wide, I’d prefer the standard dimming mirrors on the Ram 1500.

jljbtm

Reaction score
On my old Ram I would purposely bump the wall with my Right mirror as I pulled in (it never scratched it)then when I pulled out in the morning id power down that window and used a "special stick" to push it back out! It worked perfectly for years.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the power-fold tow mirrors are only available on Laramie and higher trims in the 1500 lineup.

KotaBearHix

Reaction score
Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the power-fold tow mirrors are only available on Laramie and higher trims in the 1500 lineup.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

KotaBearHix

Reaction score

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My orderd truck that I refused, due to trailer surround view camera not being on it, I had ordered tow mirrors. My new order, when Ram gets their stuff together will not. Factory trailer tow mirrors, have a huge convex mirror to the outside edge of the mirror which is terrible for normal driving. Then the look really stupid when opened. The 2500 has normal looking mirrors that extend. Instead, I will order with the standard mirrors, that have all the options, and purchase aftermarket custom fit towing mirrors, that snap on the standard mirrors.

This I just the first model I looked up, there are several.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My orderd truck that I refused, due to trailer surround view camera not being on it, I had ordered tow mirrors. My new order, when Ram gets their stuff together will not. Factory trailer tow mirrors, have a huge convex mirror to the outside edge of the mirror which is terrible for normal driving. Then the look really stupid when opened. The 2500 has normal looking mirrors that extend. Instead, I will order with the standard mirrors, that have all the options, and purchase aftermarket custom fit towing mirrors, that snap on the standard mirrors.

This I just the first model I looked up, there are several.
I have the snap on mirror extensions but I am not that happy with them as they are a little cumbersome to take on and off compared to just flipping the mirror from horizontal to vertical.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the snap on mirror extensions but I am not that happy with them as they are a little cumbersome to take on and off compared to just flipping the mirror from horizontal to vertical.
I haven't actually used the clip on ones, but what is so hard about installing and removing? Some brands may be easier than others, I would research, my link was just quick reference. I think the factory mirrors are a pain, because you still have to get out and physically switch them, then readjust your mirrors every time. When you put on the extensions, there is no adjusting.

Users who are viewing this thread