5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help. Old guy question here. UConnect and Android Auto.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Someone asked for pics. I just sat in the truck on this rainy day playing and I'm far from mastering this thing. But I feel I can navigate a little better. One weakness is the phone on the screen. My cell is in a holder sitting up high and I can push number 1 on the phone to pull up voicemails. But pushing the code then pound on this truck system is another story without pulling over and playing with things. Trying to figure out a way where I can see it easy enough without pushing all kinds of button. But one pic shows this apparently is connecting my phone wirelessly. One shows most of my apps from my phone and one the screen when I turn it all on and Android Auto kicks in. Maybe this is just the cost of modernization in our trucks and it is no longer simple to use.

View attachment 138529

View attachment 138527

View attachment 138526
It's going to be difficult to show you over the forum but I will attempt to explain.

In the second picture you have opened your Android auto apps folder. If you scroll down you should see your phone icon. You can then use that app to input different numbers. If you open Android auto on your phone you can customize the apps shown and what order they are in. You can turn on Waze if it is not already (might be you just need to scroll down to see it as well on your truck)

ShenValley

Reaction score
It's going to be difficult to show you over the forum but I will attempt to explain.

In the second picture you have opened your Android auto apps folder. If you scroll down you should see your phone icon. You can then use that app to input different numbers. If you open Android auto on your phone you can customize the apps shown and what order they are in. You can turn on Waze if it is not already (might be you just need to scroll down to see it as well on your truck)
Trust me. I'm taking this laptop to my truck and sitting there when I get the chance.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well you are apparently ahead of me. I trained K9's and handlers for most of my life. But I did find Android Auto under settings on my Galaxy. When I open it I see a "Connect a Car" which maybe means It never loaded into my truck? I do see Android Auto on my screen so I know it is picking it up. Beyond that I am uncertain.
Plug in with a USB cable first, you should see a prompt on your phone to connect. If not, go into u connect apps, go to phone and projection manager. Toggle it ON for your phone.

If you want to use wireless, you have to connect to the radio and pair with bluetooth. That should then trigger the prompt and let it autocnnect over wifi. Make sure wifi is enabled, but not connected, and make sure you didn't disable 5ghz wifi.

ShenValley

Reaction score
Plug in with a USB cable first, you should see a prompt on your phone to connect. If not, go into u connect apps, go to phone and projection manager. Toggle it ON for your phone.

If you want to use wireless, you have to connect to the radio and pair with bluetooth. That should then trigger the prompt and let it autocnnect over wifi. Make sure wifi is enabled, but not connected, and make sure you didn't disable 5ghz wifi.
I'm looking at the Android auto app on my phone while sitting in the luxury of my home and I do not see the projection manager you mention. But I have pretty much every toggle turned on but the one for starting music automatically.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Android auto app on my phone while sitting in the luxury of my home and I do not see the projection manager you mention. But I have pretty much every toggle turned on but the one for starting music automatically.
Projection manager is in the truck settings, not on your phone

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same radio configuration as you, 8.4 non-nav. I too have found the system difficult to use. After over 7 months I am getting more comfortable with it. I have a Samsung Note 10 that connects automatically when I turn the truck on to the last screen that was displayed when I turn the truck off, usually Waze. While I'm no expert, a few things I've learned (mostly from this site) are:

- Everything seems to work better when connected plugged in
- That little white button in the lower left, takes you back to the app screen, until I learned this I struggled getting back and forth from Waze and the phone app.
- You need to be in the phone app to bring up the phone keypad to "press 1"

My salesman was very helpful getting me started, told me to see him if I had questions. So, if all else fails go back to your salesman/dealer, I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Last edited:

ShenValley

Reaction score

I meant to say as well. Every time I plug in my phone I get the request to provide permissions to hook in. So

ShenValley

Reaction score
Ok. I promise I am getting a little better at this but far from perfect. But looking at this regarding my cell phone. Should Enable Bluetooth Audio be turned on as well as Enable Phone? Not sure if turning them on here interferes with Android Auto or Uconnect or not. I know it's a little fuzzy but the lighting outside didn't help/

Attachments

• Phone screen.jpg
    Phone screen.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 17

Kooch80

Reaction score
Ok. I promise I am getting a little better at this but far from perfect. But looking at this regarding my cell phone. Should Enable Bluetooth Audio be turned on as well as Enable Phone? Not sure if turning them on here interferes with Android Auto or Uconnect or not. I know it's a little fuzzy but the lighting outside didn't help/
I enable both of those. Should allow you to use phone for calls outside if Android auto and to play music from your phone without plugging in

ShenValley

Reaction score
I enable both of those. Should allow you to use phone for calls outside if Android auto and to play music from your phone without plugging in
My phone is already connected and is usable over the speakers so this one confused me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/