5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! O2 sensor error codes after header installation

jlasma

Reaction score
Have a 2019 1500 hemi DT and had some ARH 1 3/4 long tube headers installed today. Mechanic said he thought the PS O2 extension didn’t quite fit so I called ARH. They said the part number was correct, so the mechanic shaved a little off to make it fit, recommended by ARH. So after install I received the following error codes:

P0152 - O2 sensor high voltage
P1129 - Closed loop fueling not achieved-Bank 2

cleared them with my Trinity but they showed back up.

Wondering if custom tune would take care of the error codes, right now running Diablo 93 octane tune. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Stop and think it out. What do you know so far?
1) The problem didn't exist prior to installation. Therefore, it is header-related.
2) Only one side is affected (so far). This leads me to suspect the problem is not with what's coming out the exhaust, but with what's reading it. A tune won't fix that
3) Parts were modified.
4) P1129 is a direct result of P0152, so it can be ignored.

How to diagnose? A scan tool.

If the Oxygen sensor voltages are close and they behave similarly on a drive, then one is just a hair over the threshold, and a tune is probably all it needs. But what if one sensor reads way high, like 1.5V or better? Then there's some kind of voltage leak from the heater circuit to the element. It could be that harness that got modified. It could be that some grease got in the connector and is leaking current from the heater feed to the sensor output.. It could be that there was some welding slag inside the threaded hole and screwing the sensor in damaged it and created an internal voltage leak.

Read voltages and see what's happening before you start shovelling money at it changing parts.

jlasma

Reaction score
Thank you very much, liked the logical rundown of the situation. Will check the voltages and go from there!

jlasma

Reaction score
Ordered a new O2 sensor extension from Kooks, look more compatible then from ARH. Figured I’d eliminate that possible error first because it’s easy to do, then if still an issue I’ll have to explore the voltage readings more in-depth.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will get o2 codes no matter what with long tubes and a canned tune. You’ll need a custom tune and most tuners won’t turn off o2 codes anymore due to EPA bs.

jlasma

Reaction score
Getting ready to send files to Sean at Hemifever for a custom tune, just wanted to replace the extensions to eliminate it as a cause. Mechanic was adamant that the extensions provided didn’t quite fit, so I’ll eliminate that issue.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to send files to Sean at Hemifever for a custom tune, just wanted to replace the extensions to eliminate it as a cause. Mechanic was adamant that the extensions provided didn’t quite fit, so I’ll eliminate that issue.
Where did you install the extensions? There is a possibility that Maxi alluded to in that extensions don’t work for every vehicle depending on the emissions output of the engine. I haven’t researched enough different engines to see what CO2 threshold will cause them not to work, but that’s a possibility.

jlasma

Reaction score
From the cats in the header to the wiring harness, they’re farther away than factory.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the cats in the header to the wiring harness, they’re farther away than factory.
Why didn’t you put a set after the cats?

jlasma

Reaction score
The mechanic had issues connecting the ones in the header kit, was adamant that they weren’t the right ones, even after I called the company. So I decided to replace those extensions with some from Kooks, just to ease my mind that the electrical connections are good. Not saying it’ll fix the issue, just want to make sure I have the correct ones.

jlasma

Reaction score
Think it’s fixed, installed new wire extensions, my new mechanic also believes the wires were crossed. Downstream crossed with upstream, no engine light for 10 miles, plus engine running much smoother!
Thanks everyone for the advice & knowledge you all brought to my concern!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Think it’s fixed, installed new wire extensions, my new mechanic also believes the wires were crossed. Downstream crossed with upstream, no engine light for 10 miles, plus engine running much smoother!
Thanks everyone for the advice & knowledge you all brought to my concern!
Haha, it sucks that the wiring is situated so it’s even possible to do that. Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread