5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed to Deactivate/Reset Security System

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Bighorn. The truck has been great. No problems until now. This morning I needed to get into the truck and the key fob didn't work. I tried my wife's, it didn't work either. I changed the batteries in both. They still didn't work.

I used the key on the fob and opened the driver door and the alarm/horn sounded. I got in the truck and closed the door. The warning light for the security system was blinking, but the truck wouldn't start or do anything else. I also couldn't put it the ignition in ACC mode, etc. The truck also wouldn't start putting the fob against the start button. I opened the door to get out, and the alarm/horn went off again for the standard 30 seconds. I've googled this and have found nothing on it. It seems there is a way to reset the key in older RAMs when the security system is locked up, but, of course, I don't have a key ignition!

Any ideas? I would like to get into my truck again without annoying the neighbors, and actually drive it!!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting it resets the alarm. Also hitting unlock on fob turns it off. Pushing the fob, button side against the start button is the dead fob procedure.

Open the hood and check your battery ground. Disconnect the ground point by the hood strut and remove the paint from the probably painted over ground and reconnect it. There's also a recall or TSB about the ground going to the engine loose on some models. Follow the cable from the terminal to the engine and check that bolt is tight going to the engine block.

Reaction score
I decided not to mess with it and had it towed to the dealer. It turned out to be a bad "ignition node." The dealer had it 15 days and fixed it under warranty. I've had it for about 3 weeks and it has worked fine until now. I just noticed that I can't lock/unlock it with the key fob. It also won't start. The security system doesn't appear to be involved this time. Hmmmm . . . . .

Reaction score
I’m posting this follow up because it might be of interest to someone. If it is, let me know.
In early January I had the truck towed into the dealer again because the truck was locked up and the fob wouldn’t work. Tow truck had to use a dolly because the parking brake wouldn’t release. Anyway the dealer had the vehicle for about 30 days and finally determined that there was a small leak in the back window that trickled down the inside of the window and onto the fob radio hub shorting it out. The hub is located under the window on the driver side. The dealer replaced both the back window and radio hub and the truck has worked fine ever since. Very frustrating getting to this point though!

Users who are viewing this thread