5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed for changing wheel size on night edition

Eric2022

Reaction score
Hi everybody I ordered a 2022 RAM 1500 Limited Night Edition which as you all know comes with 22 inch rims. I was inquiring at the tire shop about putting 20 inch wheels (rims) on it and they told me that I would have to change the spindles in order to accommodate a 20 inch wheel (rim) but then someone else told me all I would have to do is find a 20 inch rim that had the same bolt pattern as the 22 inch rim and then I wouldn’t have to do any kind of modification. I don’t particularly like the look of the 22” rims because to me there is too much rim and not enough tire rubber as the rubber portion just looks too thin so I want to change to 20” wheels. Anyone have any experience or understanding of this and know if it’s true that all I would have to do is find 20” wheels that have the same bolt pattern as the 22” rims that come on it so I could avoid modifying the bolts themselves and then put the tires I want on them? Thank you!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes you just need to find a Rim with the same bolt pattern . You can go all the way down to an 18” Rim . New Rams come with 18 “ , 20” and 22“ so you could even get an OEM wheel for your truck .

Eric2022

Reaction score
Yes you just need to find a Rim with the same bolt pattern . You can go all the way down to an 18” Rim . New Rams come with 18 “ , 20” and 22“ so you could even get an OEM wheel for your truck .
Hi thanks so much. If I may how do I know what bolt pattern matches? Is there some kind of pattern type number or something I can reference so I know what will fit when looking for rims? I’ve gone to rim/wheel websites and there’s so many so how do I dIstinguish between ones that will fit? Thank you!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is a 6x5.5 (139.7) bolt pattern. There are more choices than you can imagine for wheels. Also your factory wheels are a +19mm offset if you want that to be similar.

and find a different tire shop. If they told you that you’d have to change the spindles to change wheel size then I wouldn’t trust then to do anything with your truck

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any wheel with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern will work. Gm 1500 trucks use the same bolt pattern. You just can’t go smaller than a 18in wheel.

Who ever told you that you need to change components is a moron and shouldn’t be near a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He may have been looking at 20's that had too much backspacing. You need to pick a wheel that has the 6x5.5 bolt pattern and at the most 5.25" backspacing. Any reputable wheel/tire shop will be able to tell you which wheels fall into that category.

Eric2022

Reaction score
It is a 6x5.5 (139.7) bolt pattern. There are more choices than you can imagine for wheels. Also your factory wheels are a +19mm offset if you want that to be similar.

and find a different tire shop. If they told you that you’d have to change the spindles to change wheel size then I wouldn’t trust then to do anything with your truck
Yeah there was no way I was going to let anyone do anything to modify the truck I figured they would just lie and sure enough they did. I thought there must be a way to change the wheels without changing the spindles and there is so thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread