5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed for bed step installation on my my RAM 1500.

rtslab

Reaction score
I tried to install OEM Mopar bed step on my 2021 RAM 1500. And it looks like my truck layout is slightly different from what manual says. I attached picture here. The red/yellow harness in the installation manual is actually moved up and now I have a black hardness in place. And I need to disconnect it first before I put the bed step to the frame.

Does anyone know how to disconnect this black electric connector harness? It has some black tape around it. Thank you!

Attachments

• RAM1500_Bedstep_Install.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 150
  • RAM1500_Bedstep_Install3.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 148
  • RAM1500_Bedstep_Install2.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

rtslab

Reaction score
I tried to install OEM Mopar bed step on my 2021 RAM 1500. And it looks like my truck layout is slightly different from what manual says. I attached picture here. The red/yellow harness in the installation manual is actually moved up and now I have a black hardness in place. And I need to disconnect it first before I put the bed step to the frame.

Does anyone know how to disconnect this black electric connector harness? It has some black tape around it. Thank you!
Figured it out. Push red button and then fold white bracket to unplug the connector.

bazbob

Reaction score
Did you ensure that your bolts are torqued back to 140 ft-lbs?

RossoWheelson

Reaction score
My 2021 Limited layout was different too.

Thanks for the pics and how to pop the harness. Think I permanently broke the little black tab next to the red button. Also had to show the wife the great Chrysler engineering of the tape job covering up a mismatched harness cover. She taped it back better than the two pieces they put on originally.

Also make sure you thread the harness through before tightening the bolts. There is enough of a gap if you leave them all loose . I ended up zip tying it to the back of the step support.

Harness reconnected and step works as advertised. As for us novice mechanics without a torque indicator, 140lbs is about when my body starts sliding across a rough cement driveway when loosening or tightening the bolts. I do not have much more weight to add to that equation.

Floyd

Reaction score
Just did this and broke the little tab on the harness as well.

For those that will do this in the future, the harness has a white rollover clamp you have to lift up to separate the connector. What you can't see while laying on the ground...is a small slide lock on top and in the center of the harness. Slide that back and the white lock pops up nice and easy disconnecting the harness.

Jonathange

Reaction score
See my post about bed step last month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madjawa889

Reaction score
** clarification **
Theirs A red key/tab that needs to be pulled down or away from the wiring harness. Then just Fwd of the red key/tab; Depress black button to release white strap. After an audible click you should be then able to rotate the white collar and separate the wiring harness. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread