5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed! Asap

big ram

Reaction score
**** happened today.
We were on a road trip some 200 miles away from home. I was about to go home and found my key fob lost. Today is Sunday and no dealership open today. I have to go home today because I need to work tomorrow. So I got a locksmith to open up my car and take out my belongings. The locksmith said they cannot make the truck to operate and I have to go to the dealership to get a new key fob to drive my truck. So my plan is I go home today (luckily I have a friend driving a minivan with us) get my spare key fob and come back tomorrow after work to pick up my truck (same friend drive me back, thanks). My question is my truck is now parking in a huge park parking lot. I am wondering if, I said if, some bad guys found my keys and somehow spot my truck tonight and steal my truck, is there anyway I can know if it happens? Mine is a 1500 Laramie bought a month ago. Also how much is a new fob gonna cost?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
$400 is my guesstimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**** happened today.
We were on a road trip some 200 miles away from home. I was about to go home and found my key fob lost. Today is Sunday and no dealership open today. I have to go home today because I need to work tomorrow. So I got a locksmith to open up my car and take out my belongings. The locksmith said they cannot make the truck to operate and I have to go to the dealership to get a new key fob to drive my truck. So my plan is I go home today (luckily I have a friend driving a minivan with us) get my spare key fob and come back tomorrow after work to pick up my truck (same friend drive me back, thanks). My question is my truck is now parking in a huge park parking lot. I am wondering if, I said if, some bad guys found my keys and somehow spot my truck tonight and steal my truck, is there anyway I can know if it happens? Mine is a 1500 Laramie bought a month ago. Also how much is a new fob gonna cost?
I can't think of a way to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle if they have your fob. You could've disabled the vehicle by removing the fuel pump fuse or something. The fobs, I think, are just over $200.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 May 2018. Now at 017872 miles.

big ram

Reaction score
I can't think of a way to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle if they have your fob. You could've disabled the vehicle by removing the fuel pump fuse or something. The fobs, I think, are just over $200.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 May 2018. Now at 017872 miles.

Thanks man

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The key fobs are $350.00, as far as someone finding and stealing the truck it’s kind of a crap shoot. Keep us informed as to what you find when you go back, and prayerfully all will be well.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Did you try using the Uconnect app to unlock and start the truck?

That’s a good call.
You also can check up on location

Did you pull an ignition fuse and disconnect the battery before you left by chance?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Obvious question: where is your second fob that came with the truck...I would use that to go back and take the truck home...then getcha replacement fob at your leisure...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KcRay

Reaction score
**** happened today.
Take the battery out of the truck!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only 200 miles from home. Easy, I'd call a rental agency get car, blast home, get the other fob and blast back and then head home with the truck. So you lose some sleep one night. The experience will teach you to keep track of it from now on.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you try using the Uconnect app to unlock and start the truck?
This would enable you to remote start it, but wouldn’t the fob need to be present to enable driving it? If not, easy peezy. But my guess is no. Either way, call SiriusXM Guardian to report the lost fob; they might be able to disable it or at least track location of the truck.

big ram

Reaction score
This would enable you to remote start it, but wouldn’t the fob need to be present to enable driving it? If not, easy peezy. But my guess is no. Either way, call SiriusXM Guardian to report the lost fob; they might be able to disable it or at least track location of the truck.
how do I know if I have SiriusXM Guardian? Thanks.

big ram

Reaction score
That’s a good call.
You also can check up on location

Did you pull an ignition fuse and disconnect the battery before you left by chance?

I got the truck just a month ago and unfortunately I did not have time to register my uconnect account before my road trip. I just googled it seems that I have to do the registration with my truck, which is 200 miles from me now... thanks anyway, I plan to rent a car instead tomorrow after work and pick up my truck, hopefully it will be there with no damage.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’ll work out just fine. Your truck will be right where you left it in the condition she I was left in with all your stuff still in it.

No fun but I am sure she will be a ok

Now if it died in downtown LA I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m assuming it’s not.

ForkliftFranky12

Reaction score
bet you go back and both of your fobs work fine. same thing happened to me except I was not 200 miles away from home. more like 10. but I was determined to get my truck started and drive the sob home. its a brand new 50k+ truck and I am not leaving it sit. I refuse. My situation was I could not gain access to my truck. Via, uconnect, fob, unlock button on fob, sensor behind door nothing. I finally gained access to the truck by switching back and forth between passenger and drivers side door. Now once inside the truck said key fob not detected......great. Finally got the sob started with the remote start because it was cold and when I say cold I mean -40 at least with the wind chill at this point. So I refused to give up. Finally got the thing to recognize the fob. how I dont know but determination paid off otherwise I was going to put my fist through the f***ing radio and go throw the keys back at my salesman. I raced home not stopping at any store etc. ran inside to get other fob while leaving the one I thought was faulty inside and zero issues. Swapped them back to the one originally giving me issues and everything is fine. Been using the same fob since I got the truck almost 10 months ago. Besides the little hickup with the fob on that particular day the fob has been fine. I figured just a hickup in the system and all is good now.

Users who are viewing this thread