5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP: Need a one-piece tow hitch with a 2" receiver. Do NOT want to use the dumb factory adapter?

Chris B.

Reaction score
2019 1500 Crew Cab Classic. Problem: my bumper is connected to the OEM hitch which comes with a large hole for the 'ball.' I do NOT want to buy the separate 'adapter' that reduces my towing capacity to 5,000 lbs. I want a one-piece tow hitch with a standard 2" receiver. Do I have to buy a different 'bumper'? If so, what 'year' bumper will work (that DOESN'T need to bolt to the hitch)?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don’t need to swap your bumper, if there is no 2” receiver under the bumper you will need a proper tow hitch if you plan on towing anything significant.

Any chance you can post a pic of the hitch area? I know it’ll be different than the new body style trucks but it’ll help make sense of the situation.

Something like this, you can also get class 4 or 5 which are rated for more, but class 3 is good for 10000lbs trailer and 1000lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch.

Chris B.

Reaction score
Looks like the hitch below may work. The oem crossbar gets discarded with this product and it includes brackets to remount the bumper, yea! It says: Not Confirmed to Fit. but it looks perfect to me, and the video is for a Classic, go figure! Rating is overkill, but is the only product that works "WITH" a factory hitch (b/c it discards it). All other products say 'without factory hitch.'

2019 Ram 1500 Classic​

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class V - 2"​

Item # 41913

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 1500 Crew Cab Classic. Problem: my bumper is connected to the OEM hitch which comes with a large hole for the 'ball.' I do NOT want to buy the separate 'adapter' that reduces my towing capacity to 5,000 lbs. I want a one-piece tow hitch with a standard 2" receiver. Do I have to buy a different 'bumper'? If so, what 'year' bumper will work (that DOESN'T need to bolt to the hitch)?
Not sure we have all the facts.
Do you have a receiver (hitch) under the rear bumper? Or just a hole in the rear bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread