5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me find a tire please

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I suppose I am in the minority here since I plan on staying stock height and stock rims...lol. Anyways, I have the 275/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires but I want to swap out to a heavier duty tire for towing my camper. The problem is, I can not seem to find a load range E tire in my size. I was recommended the Nitto Tera Grapplers but they are a load range XL in my size and I’m just not exactly sure what that means. I do see it in a 275/65/20 which sounds close but it seems it’s 34” tire and I’m pretty sure that’s too tall with no lift. It also comes in an a 265/60/20 which is 32.5” tall so I’m sure that would work but it’s almost 1/2” narrower than I run now and I don’t know if I want a narrower tire. I would prefer to have an all terrain tread instead of a street tread but I would look at whatever. So, any suggestions?

djeazie

Reaction score
I put on BFG KO2's on mine for towing. In the 275 55 20 size they are a load range D. And are rated up to 65psi. So far so good. Running them at 40psi and they ride just as good as the stock tires. Maybe a little more stiff but not much. I haven't towed with them yet so I can't speak to that. They sure look a hell of a lot better than the stock tires. I don't have any pictures yet but will try to take some and post them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I put on BFG KO2's on mine for towing. In the 275 55 20 size they are a load range D. And are rated up to 65psi. So far so good. Running them at 40psi and they ride just as good as the stock tires. Maybe a little more stiff but not much. I haven't towed with them yet so I can't speak to that. They sure look a hell of a lot better than the stock tires. I don't have any pictures yet but will try to take some and post them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, please do! I will give them a look, a D rated tire would be perfect since I’m sure I won’t ever “need” the full range of an E tire. I’m just trying to get something heavier duty to help with trailer sway.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I second the BFG KO2s. I have run the original KOs then the KO2s for the last twelve years. My dad put some on his truck also. The ride is great and road noise not bad also for an all terrain. They run well in snow for me also. Im sure the other tires are great also but for me I dont think I will ever by another brand/model.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Cooper makes the AT3 xlt and AT3 LT in LT in 275/55r20.

An XL tire though is pretty similar to D range LT. The xl has a stiffer sidewall as compared to a P but not quite as firm as an E rated.

Also, unless you need/want an AT tire, you may want to stick with an XL highway terrain tire instead for mpgs

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’ve posted way too many posts and asked way too many questions the last few days but I’ve decided to go with a 2” leveling kit, stock rims, and a 276/65/20 Nitto Ridge Grappler in a load range E. Thanks for the help everyone!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol you can never post too many times as that’s what the forum is all about. Or at least it is to me and I love seeing the outcome from people doing what they do.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, please do! I will give them a look, a D rated tire would be perfect since I’m sure I won’t ever “need” the full range of an E tire. I’m just trying to get something heavier duty to help with trailer sway.
how long and how heavy of a trailer are you pulling? I just put an order in for a 1500 yesterday and will be pulling a trailer. I did not realize wider tires also help with sway. Would love to see some pictures

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

CallMeChris

Reaction score
how long and how heavy of a trailer are you pulling? I just put an order in for a 1500 yesterday and will be pulling a trailer. I did not realize wider tires also help with sway. Would love to see some pictures

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m back peddling my statement...I might be going with a 295/60/20 instead of a 275/65/20...I hate decisions! Haha

And the trailer will be a 27’ camper with a dry weight of 6600 pounds and a tongue weight of 660. I’ll post up my findings with how it tows. Tomorrow will be the stock truck with just a weight distribution hitch. Friday will be with the addition of Timber Grove air bags and a pedal commander. Next week will be with the leveling kit and tires.

Users who are viewing this thread