5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me choose my truck!

greg_nc

Reaction score
Hello folks! I am picking my new rebel truck today if all goes well. Last minute decision between a couple on the lot. It comes down to air suspension vs. 12" screen. Can I get some feedback? The one that has the 12" screen also has the 9 speaker amplified package while the other one replaces that with the air suspension and the 33 gallon tank.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello folks! I am picking my new rebel truck today if all goes well. Last minute decision between a couple on the lot. It comes down to air suspension vs. 12" screen. Can I get some feedback? The one that has the 12" screen also has the 9 speaker amplified package while the other one replaces that with the air suspension and the 33 gallon tank.
Not sure if this helps you, but my non-air suspension Longhorn rides better than any vehicle I've had. I've read that the air suspension does come in handy if you do a lot of towing. And I like my 12 inch screen.

Porkroll

Reaction score
I would go with the air suspension, because the 8” screen is plenty big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKP7PSP

Reaction score

After all the problems I had with the air suspension in my Grand Cherokee, that was the one thing I absolutely wanted to be without on my RAM. It was great when it worked, but just one more expensive thing to go wrong. It failed on my Jeep around 17,000 miles. The dealer was great and got it fixed within 2 days, however, they screwed up other things in the process because of how intrusive of a job it was..

Every time the temperature outside was below 35~ degrees Fahrenheit, the system just wouldn't work. I would get errors such as "unavailable" or "service air suspension immediately", or even "system cool down - please wait".

I do love the 12" screen in my Laramie though, I highly recommend it!

grinch72

Reaction score
air suspension and 33 gallon tank. I have it all. I could easily live without the 12" and as far as the sound goes you can update that cheap enough on your own. What I couldn't live without is the 33 gallon tank and air suspension. worth every penny in my book.

grinch72

Reaction score
After all the problems I had with the air suspension in my Grand Cherokee, that was the one thing I absolutely wanted to be without on my RAM. It was great when it worked, but just one more expensive thing to go wrong. It failed on my Jeep around 17,000 miles. The dealer was great and got it fixed within 2 days, however, they screwed up other things in the process because of how intrusive of a job it was..

I do love the 12" screen in my Laramie though, I highly recommend it!
Curious what year JCG? We had some issues with it on a 2011 but it has been flawless on our 18. It's also been great on the 19 Ram. If it was an older JCG, I would hope to think they have worked out the kinks. I thought about not getting it on our 18 but everything comes on the Summit so you can't not get it. Glad we did though. It has been great.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Curious what year JCG? We had some issues with it on a 2011 but it has been flawless on our 18. It's also been great on the 19 Ram. If it was an older JCG, I would hope to think they have worked out the kinks. I thought about not getting it on our 18 but everything comes on the Summit so you can't not get it. Glad we did though. It has been great.

Hey there, it was a 2015, a Summit as well. The 19-speaker H/K system in it is why the RAM ultimately became my top pick for a new truck. Was a great vehicle except for the constant headache of the 'Quadra-Lift'. I had the Lifetime MaxCare, so I wasn't bothered so much by the possibility of it failing again, so much as the dealer wouldn't touch it until it fully failed. With my luck, that meant next time I was 1,000 miles away from home and didn't have the luxury of leaving it at a dealer to get fixed, is when it would go out.

In cold weather, after about 30-40 minutes of driving, it would miraculously work again. The highway portions of my commute were definitely a bit concerning when the Jeep wouldn't go into aero mode - a little bouncy and would wander.

I always liked air suspension ever since I had an older Lincoln Town Car with it. It was flawless in that vehicle, but an open system vs. our closed system in the FCA cars.

grinch72

Reaction score

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Air Suspension and the 12 inch screen is nice but with a 8.4 I think I would be fine. I also would never want to go back to the 26 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Tank is very nice going a day or two longer between fill ups!

sgk

Reaction score
So interesting to see what everyone would live without. I un-patiently waited to order one with it all but I believe I would forgo the air suspension, for one i live in a cold climate so not 100% sure how it will hold up over time yet. 2nd makes it more difficult to lift (for now) and possibly other mods. Plus no air suspension drives extremely well also.

greg_nc

Reaction score
You are right! I had a difficult time noticing any huge difference on normal road surfaces. However, I don't plan on lifting and the auto level for towing would be nice.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’ll play

Here is what I wish I had

Off-road package
6-1/2 bed

Here is what I have
Laramie longhorn
Non air suspension
8” display
33 gallon tank
Pano roof
Non etorque

Love my truck but I should have ordered it with what I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread