5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help identify this noise

gpbst3

Reaction score
Two days ago I noticed this noise. On a cold start up it is exceptionally loud during the increased startup RPMs. When accelerating it has somewhat of helicopter sound. There are no dashboard lights. Im going to scheduled an appointment and have no idea how to describe this noise over the phone. Are there any potential issue driving it till the dealer can take a look?

Im not sure if google drive is the best way to link the video.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does not go completely go away but quiets down a bit after 15 mins
Based on that + the sound...looks to be a particularly egregious exhaust leak. Cracked exhaust manifolds and broken bolts are fairly common on these trucks.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you sure you don't have Cummins in there! wow...that would make me crazy. I agree with the others who said most likely exhaust, once it warms up, metals expand, which quiets it down some by closing gaps..good luck sir.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold .. there are also TSBs for the gasket just after the y-pipe as well .. replace that if you can tell it is leaking there.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Good news and bad news.

It was not the intake manifold. A bolt broke off on the exhaust flange. Dealer charged $160. Bad news is I have an extended warranty but have a $200 deductible.

I’m just glad it’s fixed.

U

User_3336

Good news and bad news.

It was not the intake manifold. A bolt broke off on the exhaust flange. Dealer charged $160. Bad news is I have an extended warranty but have a $200 deductible.

I’m just glad it’s fixed.
No one ever stated it was the intake manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread