5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Deciding, Ordering new Ram tomorrow.

SP97

Reaction score
Any thoughts on e-torque? I saw a video it takes 7 years to recover the cost driving 12,000 a year.
So, It is a little early for me to say that it really is worth it to me as I have 120 miles on the truck. With that said I had ordered it under the impression that it would be about equal to the price of additional fuel consumption over 10 years (I think). For tax purposes paying that upfront might give me more of a tax write-off. Now whether that is true or not is still to be seen. A lot has been stated regarding owners actual fuel mileage. I have a lot of jobs in the city so maybe the start/stop will be in my favor. It seems to work well enough and I must say it doesn't bother me at all and the shifts are very smooth even more so compared to my Durango with the V6 and 8-speed transmission. By the way I love my truck almost as much as my son does! Good luck with your order.

clotagames

Reaction score
Looks like a very similar build. How's the Gator bed cover? I was going to do Extang tri-fold. Had it on my last Ram and loved it. Why did you do 3.92? I would think fuel economy is just hurt on the freeway. In city driving I would think it would just **** to a higher gear sooner.
Like the gator cover so far. Like the fact I can roll it up all the way to back of cab. Have not seen it in the rain here much since the polar vortex caused by global warming has overtaken Illinois again. Have wanted posters up for the groundhog that predicted early spring. Got 3.92 because occasionally pull a compact tractor or skid loader for work. Fuel economy at 70 and no wind is around 17-18. Cold weather here is killing mileage along with remote start.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Is the new split open tailgate available for your trim? Have you considered that? Or bed step?

2wd

Reaction score
If you tow north of 7500 lbs as mentioned I would do the math on your truck and trailer cargo and review the Payload thread. Apparently Longhorns have the lowest payload of any trim. If you must have the longhorn you could gain some payload by cutting some options.

irvinm1914

Reaction score
I am ordering a Laramie Longhorn Crew cab 4X4 with 6'4" box.
Standard 5.7 Hemi
DJ sales code Mountain Brown seats (non Filigree)
Level 1 Equipment (12" screen)
Trailer Brake Controller (Not going with Trailer Tow Group as you lose 360 camera with the manual fold tow mirrors)
Air Suspension
Body colored bumpers
Sun Roof
Advanced safety group
3.92 Axle
22x9 wheels (May buy aftermarket and sell these?)

Need help with the following -
Now getting "anti-spin" differential & 33 gallon tank (Thanks for the help!)
eTorque (Worth the cost?)
Bed Utility Group (6'4" so no ram box option, basically all you get for $445 is adjustable tie downs and led lights.)

Anything else I should consider?

Going with White Tri-coat like my current truck, I want Delmonico Red but wife said it's terrible:(

Thanks!
My main focus is interior water leakage.

SpikeMike

Reaction score
You might be surprised at how much that skid steer weighs. I bet that one weighs 7500 lbs without the trailer. Together with the trailer is probably over 9000 lbs. or even closing in on 10,000 lbs.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the anti spin diff. Not sure if you need the 3.92's unless your towing heavy loads. Really like the 33 gal fuel tank. Take a close look at your wants and what you can afford. Don't have buyers remorse later and wish you would have added something.
3.92 is handy for larger tires if he plans to do so

acat

Reaction score
Just curious, can you put a factory order a 5.7 with sunroof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffK2019

Reaction score
I just ordered today - yes you can order a 5.7 with the pano sunroof.

The bed utility group did go up $100 from $445 to $545 (change from my projected order sheet from last week).

acat

Reaction score
I just ordered today - yes you can order a 5.7 with the pano sunroof.

The bed utility group did go up $100 from $445 to $545 (change from my projected order sheet from last week).
wired, I ordered two weeks ago, they said they cannot do that...

geotex1

Reaction score
wired, I ordered two weeks ago, they said they cannot do that...

Availability changes dynamically based on several variables. So if you know it was a configuration sold in the past, you can have the dealer keep trying and you may also want to try a dealer in a different region. The highest volume dealers also get the most allocations so smaller shops sometimes are allocated out.

Ghostchili

Reaction score
This is my build and price before any factory rebates when truck arrives. I was told expect an additional $2000-$4000 in factory rebates. How did I Do?
CAC4AE52-A055-46EC-95EC-EE9BC5F2A2A5.jpeg

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any thoughts on e-torque? I saw a video it takes 7 years to recover the cost driving 12,000 a year.

The start/stop function saves gas. Also the extra torque off the line when towing is very cool and also saves some gas. The other advantage is the shifting between gears while accellerating is almost un-noticeable because the E-Torque system syncronizes the speed from what I read, to the next gear. I can say it is very smooth. I am getting about 16.4-16.6 with a close to 50/50 city and highway driving mix.

acat

Reaction score
Availability changes dynamically based on several variables. So if you know it was a configuration sold in the past, you can have the dealer keep trying and you may also want to try a dealer in a different region. The highest volume dealers also get the most allocations so smaller shops sometimes are allocated out.
sign, I asked Ram Chat and they replied me if its 5.7, sunroof won't be available for the rest of the model year.. then I put my order...

Ghostchili

Reaction score
sign, I asked Ram Chat and they replied me if its 5.7, sunroof won't be available for the rest of the model year.. then I put my order...
I just ordered a 5.7 with sunroof...

tysmith

Reaction score
i think the 5.7 reference is to the 5'7" bed. I heard that configuration with pano roof was restricted/unavailable.

maddog49

Reaction score
Looks like a solid build. I'm biased because I basically got the same build minus trailer brake controller 3.92s and 22" rim's in limited trim. For me the etorque was a hard pass. It won't add resale later, costs quite a bit up front, has more to break and does not appreciably change mileage. It seems like a manufactured cafe trick unfortunately.

2wd

Reaction score
This is my build and price before any factory rebates when truck arrives. I was told expect an additional $2000-$4000 in factory rebates.
How did it do? View attachment 17976

Looks great! However I wanted to call out the problem of payload again. Are you towing that heavy skid steer solo or in a truck loaded with cargo and passengers?

Longhorns have notoriously low payload. If you're over payload (besides the usual safety/liability concerns), the air suspension will stop working and throw an error code until you get the weight off the truck.

Ghostchili

Reaction score
Looks great! However I wanted to call out the problem of payload again. Are you towing that heavy skid steer solo or in a truck loaded with cargo and passengers?

Longhorns have notoriously low payload. If you're over payload (besides the usual safety/liability concerns), the air suspension will stop working and throw an error code until you get the weight off the truck.

That skid steer was the largest I towed. No other payload or passengers. When I get a utv I may get another 7x14 dual axle trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread