5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Deciding, Ordering new Ram tomorrow.

Ghostchili

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advise, made several changes!!

I am ordering a Laramie Longhorn Crew cab 4X4 with 6'4" box.
Standard 5.7 Hemi
DJ sales code Mountain Brown seats (non Filigree)
Level 1 Equipment (12" screen)
Trailer Brake Controller (Not going with Trailer Tow Group as you lose 360 camera with the manual fold tow mirrors)
Air Suspension
Body colored bumpers
Sun Roof
Advanced safety group
3.92 Axle
22x9 wheels (May buy aftermarket and sell these?)

Need help with the following -
Now getting "anti-spin" differential & 33 gallon tank (Thanks for the help!)
eTorque (Worth the cost?)
Bed Utility Group (6'4" so no ram box option, basically all you get for $445 is adjustable tie downs and led lights.)

Anything else I should consider?

Going with White Tri-coat like my current truck, I want Delmonico Red but wife said it's terrible:(

Thanks!

Last edited:

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Looks like you got it covered well. with 4 wheel drive not sure E-Locker is worth it others may be of more help here.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are lots of E-Locker debates on this board. IMO, E-Locker is an off-road thing; you must turn it on and it stays on. If you are a road warrior and not an off-roader; then I would recommend Anti-Slip as opposed to E-Locker.....get one or the other. Anti-slip activates automatically when the rear traction slips; great for acceleration on wet and snowy roads and in mud. Without anti-slip (or E-Locker), be prepared to have you tires spin when pulling away from a light or going around a corner on wet roads. I can't comment on E-Torque because I don't have it. I think the bed utility group is worth it; doesn't it include the spray in liner? I have the bed utility group with the spray-in liner and the LED lights and I feel like it was well worth it (the adjustable tie downs are handy too).

Last edited:

Ghostchili

Reaction score
There are lots of E-Locker debates on this board. IMO, E-Locker is an off-road thing; you must turn it on and it stays on. If you are a road warrior and not an off-roader; then I would recommend Anti-Slip as opposed to E-Locker.....get one or the other. Anti-slip activates automatically when the rear traction slips; great for acceleration on wet and snowy roads and in mud. With anti-slip (or E-Locker), be prepared to have you tires spin when pulling away from a light or going around a corner on wet roads. I can't comment on E-Torque because I don't have it. I think the bed utility group is worth it; doesn't it include the spray in liner? I have the bed utility group with the spray-in liner and the LED lights and I feel like it was well worth it (the adjustable tie downs are handy too).

The spray in liner is standard. The “anti spin” differential option is a few dollars cheaper. It that worth getting? Is that the same as limited slip diff?
Thanks for the response

Ghostchili

Reaction score
The spray in liner is standard. The “anti spin” differential option is a few dollars cheaper. It that worth getting? Is that the same as limited slip diff?
Thanks for the response
I should clarify, if I’m in 4 whee auto in slippery conditions, would I still use the anti spin diff option?

geotex1

Reaction score
What are you after for the truck? For instance, seems like you planned to tow until I got down to the wheel choice? That would help answer. However, I'd say you want to get the larger fuel tank.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should clarify, if I’m in 4 whee auto in slippery conditions, would I still use the anti spin diff option?
I have anti-slip, works well with my 4auto. It actually kicked in for the first time while on the highway last week. I was in 4auto, changing lanes in slushy conditions, and truck reduced power because it detected wheel slip, until it corrected, then reapplied power. 4auto does not mean 4wd all the time. It is condition dependent (driving style, road surface etc...) I'm sure the anti-slip aides significantly.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I like the anti spin diff. Not sure if you need the 3.92's unless your towing heavy loads. Really like the 33 gal fuel tank. Take a close look at your wants and what you can afford. Don't have buyers remorse later and wish you would have added something.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I believe 33gal is standard with the 6'4" bed, if not, get it. As previously stated, unless you go off road where you would need a fixed locker, then go with the anti spin diff. I don't have it in mine and once in a while, while merging on to a busy road for example, my rear tire will spin. The anti spin would limit that a lot and help with acceleration. An e-locker would not help with that situation (when you really need it) since you wouldn't be driving around with it engaged on pavement.

Good luck with the new truck!

Ghostchili

Reaction score
Every now and then I tow a skid loader or 7x16 trailer that can hold 7500lbs. I have a 2016 GMC Denali with a 6.2L (I will miss the 6.2!)
It works hard pulling the skid loader.
IMG_9762.JPG

Also, The E-Locker has a button. is the anti-spin automatic?
IMG_3048.jpg

ium33

Reaction score
I believe the anti-slip is automatic. It detects wheel slip and adjusts. I'm not sure if you can force it to lock the back by pressing on the brake and throttle at the same time. I can say that from prior experiences the lockers are useless unless you know you will need it for the road ahead of you, and still then you must take the time to engage and disengage.

Lockers are good if you're driving down a muddy road/field and see ahead that a tractor or something has rutted it out pretty badly. It will have little, if any use on a road with random slick spots. You usually just don't want your wheels locked in **all the time**.

I had a G55 with the manual lockers (and yes, it went off road a few times). It was more of a hassle than anything. Brake throttling and the auto engaging systems are easier for just about every scenario in my opinion.

I'm far from an expert but these are my observations using several different systems.

rlc2020

Reaction score
anti spin is automatic, which is why it's a better option to help with traction when you aren't expecting to need it, like in emergency acceleration. The elocker you have to manually engage, which you would only do if you are off road or in the snow, which would actually hurt you making turns so you wouldn't want to drive around with it on all the time.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the response

Yes "anti spin" is what I am referring to when I said limited slip; I would never buy a truck without it. Also, I would recommend the 33 gallon fuel tank. I have the standard fuel tank and wish I had the 33.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "anti-spin differential" is Ram's lingo for Limited Slip. Same function as the G80 "Locking" diff from GM. Also known as Posi-Traction for those older folks around here.

If you're a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, and / or if you had the G80 in your old truck (and liked it), you're gonna want the anti-spin on the Ram. Using the Elocker will require you to make the decision on when it's on or off. The anti-spin is load based, so if the rear tires are not spinning at the same speeds (like one stopped and the other slipping), then it will force power transfer from one side to the other, and then when speeds match again, there is no transfer happening.

The Elocker is either on or off, and it's up to you (mostly). If you leave it on and forget to turn it off on dry pavement, you could have some issues with wheel hop or "binding" throughout the drivetrain. Essentially the same thing if you drive in 4wheel drive on dry pavement, but magnified.

Last edited:

clotagames

Reaction score
Have about same truck in a Limited. Get anti spin and get the 33 gallon tank. It is not included in any packages. I have the 3.92 and it does like fuel.

Ghostchili

Reaction score
Have about same truck in a Limited. Get anti spin and get the 33 gallon tank. It is not included in any packages. I have the 3.92 and it does like fuel.
Looks like a very similar build. How's the Gator bed cover? I was going to do Extang tri-fold. Had it on my last Ram and loved it. Why did you do 3.92? I would think fuel economy is just hurt on the freeway. In city driving I would think it would just **** to a higher gear sooner.

Ghostchili

Reaction score
Any thoughts on e-torque? I saw a video it takes 7 years to recover the cost driving 12,000 a year.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any thoughts on e-torque? I saw a video it takes 7 years to recover the cost driving 12,000 a year.

You're going to get a lot of varying opinions on etorque. Check out the "Is etorque worth it thread?". For me, it was a resounding no. Others like it. Again, tons of opinions in some other threads you can search if you want to see the full gauntlet of responses.

Binderpete

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get the 33 gallon tank and "anti spin" diff.
I just picked up my 19 Limited yesterday. I got the trailer mirrors because I have a travel trailer that's 8' wide. I also have a covered trailer that's 7'. Trailer mirrors a must for the travel trailer but not the covered trailer. As for pulling into the garage I put the driver window down pull the mirror in and crowd the driver side of the garage door. Lots of room on my 9 ' door.

Users who are viewing this thread