5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: Broken Power Running Boards

copekyle

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited with factory installed power running boards:
It's definitely Friday the 13th... Went to the car wash today, somehow the wash caught my (CLOSED!) power running board and snapped it off. The guy at the car wash said the camera feed shows the boards deploying during the wash and then retracting before the end. Let's say he wouldn't show me the feed.

I've been searching everywhere online and can't find a place that sells these hinges. The best I can find is to replace the entire motor setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase this snapped piece? The running board itself is still straight and can be used and so I just need the hinged piece.

IMG_20200313_095423.jpg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure sorry that happened to you! Now I'm wondering about how it deployed...

It should be covered under your auto policy. While I'm unsure if if it is considered a "collision" vs. a "comprehensive" claim (the deductibles for comp are often less than collision), you might want to see if it is worth turning in.
Naturally you have to weigh the possible rate increase blah blah however you might be unpleasantly surprised on the parts and labor cost.

copekyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The dealership would only sell me the kit in a set (driver and passenger). Cost is $1500. My deductible on my truck is $1000 and so it's most likely not worth turning into the insurance. I have found the entire assembly online at moparpart.com but I'm hoping to find just the hinge piece for much cheaper than replacing the entire motor assembly.

Attachments

• partlist.PNG
    partlist.PNG
    123 KB · Views: 31
  • parts.PNG
    parts.PNG
    58.9 KB · Views: 30

Smon

Reaction score
I really think you need to back to the car wash. They need to prove that story. Their first response is always "not our fault" hoping that 90% of people will accept that answer and leave.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The dealership would only sell me the kit in a set (driver and passenger). Cost is $1500. My deductible on my truck is $1000 and so it's most likely not worth turning into the insurance. I have found the entire assembly online at moparpart.com but I'm hoping to find just the hinge piece for much cheaper than replacing the entire motor assembly.
I your comprehensive ded that high?

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the car wash will not do anything about it and you can't purchase new just the hinge piece, how about trying to find a wrecking yard that would be willing to sell you the hinge piece? Most salvage yards can communicate with other yards to locate an item.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
why wouldnt you turn it into your insurance? comprehensive claims shouldn't increase your premiums. at least it's like that in PA

Smon

Reaction score
Are the hinges the exact same as the amp ones? maybe give them a shout

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thought. Check eBay under "2019 Ram 1500 power running boards." It looks like there might be a couple of listings for preowned, individual sides.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If the car wash will not do anything about it and you can't purchase new just the hinge piece, how about trying to find a wrecking yard that would be willing to sell you the hinge piece? Most salvage yards can communicate with other yards to locate an item.
Good idea if he can find one that's already wrecked.
Also try body shops, my son's truck got T boned at low speed and they replaced the whole rt side. Don't know what they did with the parts though...

copekyle

Reaction score
I was hoping someone might have already gone through this with Amp. I've seen conflicting posts on the forum where "amp is the manufacturer" and "amp doesn't have any idea what these are". I checked ebay and will reach out to the junk yard networks. Mine is "left" or driver side.

copekyle

Reaction score
Are the hinges the exact same as the amp ones? maybe give them a shout
Just got off the phone with AMP. The rep was very clear that their linkage is not compatible with the dodge step. "MOPAR manufactures those on their own"

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did it happen to both sides? My impression from your post is that it only occurred to one side. If so, then IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the truck deployed the running boards during the wash. If deployed by the truck, both should have been deployed and then both should have been snapped off. I would pursue the car wash place again, both more than likely they are indemnified against such claims and you still won’t make any headway with them. Sorry it happened to you though. One final thought, if you do finally have to purchase the kit from the dealer, you can probably sell the parts you don’t need on this forum or eBay. Good luck.

copekyle

Reaction score
Did it happen to both sides? My impression from your post is that it only occurred to one side. If so, then IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the truck deployed the running boards during the wash. If deployed by the truck, both should have been deployed and then both should have been snapped off. I would pursue the car wash place again, both more than likely they are indemnified against such claims and you still won’t make any headway with them. Sorry it happened to you though. One final thought, if you do finally have to purchase the kit from the dealer, you can probably sell the parts you don’t need on this forum or eBay. Good luck.
Nope. Only snapped off the driver side. I've called every extension I can at the car wash corporate office (12) and left a message for every one. I found out who the owner was and left a message that the next call will be to my lawyer. I hope someone at least calls me back. I did find just the motor pieces with the hinges attached. I purchased them for $600. It's going to be an expensive lesson to only hand wash my truck.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Only snapped off the driver side. I've called every extension I can at the car wash corporate office (12) and left a message for every one. I found out who the owner was and left a message that the next call will be to my lawyer. I hope someone at least calls me back. I did find just the motor pieces with the hinges attached. I purchased them for $600. It's going to be an expensive lesson to only hand wash my truck.
Awful glad you were able to find the parts. If you don’t mind, can you describe the type of brushes/ equipment used at the car wash. I have used one nearby several times, but your post gives me hesitation. The wash I use uses what looks like long 6 inch wide soft material strips for the top and sides and rotating brisl like brushes for the wheels. Till now all I was concerned with wash not getting paint scratches, I may have to rethink that. I don’t mind hand washing, but it really is not convenient to hand wash all the time.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noted you are from Jerome, I’d. Pretty area, rode my bicycle through there in 2012 on cross county ride.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would check with another dealership I'm sure you can buy that piece separately.

As others said have them show you the video(If it even exists). Tell then they can show it to you now or in court later. Its a factory installed part so there goes half their excuses.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread