5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hellwig swaybar and towing

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Hellwig swaybar, and it has the 3 settings to control stiffness. Just wondering what other members here are doing for towing larger loads, is it better to have it on the softest setting or the stiffest?

My guess is the stiffest setting, but wondering because when I go over a bump in the road that's curvy, in stiffest setting, my truck acts like a chevy and starts to side skip. Wouldn't that skipping behaviour then jerk around the trailer as well, causing a jerky tow experience? Or is this the same thing as vertical shocks; stiff and jittery when empty but add a load and it settles down?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps you...but I came from a gmc that had a read bad skip in the situation you describe. My ram is definitely better but it’s still there, no hellwig sway bar though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trimanjoe

Reaction score
I have a Hellwig swaybar, and it has the 3 settings to control stiffness. Just wondering what other members here are doing for towing larger loads, is it better to have it on the softest setting or the stiffest?

My guess is the stiffest setting, but wondering because when I go over a bump in the road that's curvy, in stiffest setting, my truck acts like a chevy and starts to side skip. Wouldn't that skipping behaviour then jerk around the trailer as well, causing a jerky tow experience? Or is this the same thing as vertical shocks; stiff and jittery when empty but add a load and it settles down?
I have a 2019 4X4 Crew Cab and installed a Hellwig Sway bar at the middle setting prior to towing 2,400 miles my Airstream International 23FB (6000 lb GVWR and 600 lb tongue weight). When towing, the handling of the truck is very solid with little to no sway. Of course the WDH (EAZ-lift) with sway attachment also figure significantly in the handling when towing. What I really like about the Hellwig is the 99% of the time that I'm not towing anything, the truck handles exceptionally well - way better than with the OEM sway bar.

Bearman95

Reaction score
So do you leave it in the middle setting when you’re not towing! I put a hell wig On my 2020 Laramie sport 4 x 4 a few weeks ago. I put it on the softer setting And I can tell a small difference between this and the stock but it’s not a big difference for sure. But I am not towing anything. The truck rides great. I never noticed any swaying in it before.

Trimanjoe

Reaction score
So do you leave it in the middle setting when you’re not towing! I put a hell wig On my 2020 Laramie sport 4 x 4 a few weeks ago. I put it on the softer setting And I can tell a small difference between this and the stock but it’s not a big difference for sure. But I am not towing anything. The truck rides great. I never noticed any swaying in it before.
Yes, I read on this forum that most people are using the middle setting for everyday use. It also works great for towing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On mine, I settled at the softest setting...but only because of our rough roads around here. The middle would probably be acceptable. The firmest setting feels like an unloaded 1-ton truck.

Rocsolid

Reaction score
Can the Hellwig swar bar fit the 1500 if it has air suspension ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/