5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig sway bar rust

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed mine about 9 months ago. While rotating my tires I noticed it seems extremely rusty for such a short period of time. Assuming it was powder coated but if it was looks like a very poor job. I’m very worried about how long it will last at this rate. Never had a problem like this with factory bars.

Anybody else seeing this?

F1189CB2-6081-4874-B830-9355E664D7E1.jpeg 56C2198E-FA38-491A-ABE4-686105564485.jpeg
My factory springs still look brand new.

9A1BAF07-6F0E-44EA-BDB2-2C840291FE9D.jpeg

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I installed mine about 9 months ago. While rotating my tires I noticed it seems extremely rusty for such a short period of time. Assuming it was powder coated but if it was looks like a very poor job. I’m very worried about how long it will last at this rate. Never had a problem like this with factory bars.

View attachment 154323 View attachment 154324

View attachment 154325
I would contact helwig, this does not seem right

Dewey

Reaction score
B6FD137C-0916-4EFD-AC89-38C8ED588AEB.jpeg
How my Hellwig looked about 8 months ago on June 28th 2022.

I emailed them. Will let you know when I get a reply.

AWAKEN

Reaction score

View attachment 154323 View attachment 154324

View attachment 154325
😳

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had one on a previous truck for about a year. I didn't notice any rust when I was underneath the truck just before I traded it in. It went with the truck, so I can't say how it's holding up in the 9-ish months since then.

Dewey

Reaction score
I was hoping more people that live in winter climates with salt would climb under and check their Hellwig out and posted some pics for comparison.

Want to know if this is the norm. Better not be for what those things cost.

I emailed Hellwig but still no reply.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was hoping more people that live in winter climates with salt would climb under and check their Hellwig out and posted some pics for comparison.

I should have mentioned that our current truck has one too, but it's been at the shop for almost 4 weeks now so I don't have easy access to it. We're supposed to get it back tomorrow so I'll try to remember to post pics after getting it home. They don't use road salt where I live, they use magnesium chloride instead. That was primarily the wife's truck when I had mine, and I have no idea what the sway bar looks like on that truck off the top of my head.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that rust seems extreme for 9 months. Here is mine after 2.5 years in the salt belt of PA. I have a little bit of surface rust starting but nothing like yours. I did have fluid film done this past fall so it may have helped a little.

PXL_20230313_212704858.jpg

After looking at your picture when it was new it doesn't appear to have as much black flake in it. Could just be the picture though.

Dewey

Reaction score
Yeah that rust seems extreme for 9 months. Here is mine after 2.5 years in the salt belt of PA. I have a little bit of surface rust starting but nothing like yours. I did have fluid film done this past fall so it may have helped a little.

View attachment 154514

After looking at your picture when it was new it doesn't appear to have as much black flake in it. Could just be the picture though.
I was thinking the same. Wonder if mine missed the coating process or at the very least was a malfunction in the process.

Av1

Reaction score

I'm a desert rat, so I don't see much rust anyways.

But that doesn't look normal to me when the rest of your truck in the photo looks so rust free.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Wonder if mine missed the coating process or at the very least was a malfunction in the process.
That's quite possible. I'm curious to see if Hellwig stands behind their product.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
That's quite possible. I will be curious to hear if Hellwig stands behind their product.
They better. Otherwise I’m pulling it off, sanding down and re-coating it myself. Looked like a thin coating when I installed. Knew I should have shot it with more layers. Guess at that price I expected better.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hellwig got back to me and said a new sway bar is already on it’s way.👍🏻

All they ask is I send the old one back and they’re paying return shipping.
That's good to hear. I love when companies stand behind their product and make things right.

Dewey

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody else checked out their Hellwig for rust especially if you live in areas that use a lot of road salt in the winter?

My new bar was delivered today and gonna swap out tomorrow. The finish looks exactly like my old one. Not real confident this one won’t rust either. Thinking I better shoot it with some extra paint just in case.

Dewey

Reaction score
Wow! I would spray the s*** out of the new one with fluid film prior to every winter for a little preventative maintenance.
Any suggestions for brand or type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online