5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello...not an owner yet but likely

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,
Been reading different posts for a while and decided it was time to join. I currently have a Wrangler 4xe and would like a pickup again. I miss the ability to toss something in the bed. I had a new Ford Ranger that ended up being bought back by Ford due to multiple problems they couldn't fix. At the time there was no inventory, so I ended up with the Wrangler. It was my 5th one. I don't tow but would like a travel trailer at some point. Mostly city driving, but do take trips to the coast or mountains of Oregon on occasion. It would be my daily driver. The MPG's are kind of a bummer, which really is what is holding me back. That and the used truck prices.

Anyway, I think out of the half ton trucks, I like the Rams the best. As you can see from my history of Wranglers, I like Fiat Chrysler, now Stelantis (whatever). If the Gladiator was bigger inside like the Ram I would probably be more drawn to that, but with a 15 year old that is 6'3" and 250 I think the Jeeps are just too cramped in the back.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Are you sure about the fuel economy?

My Hemi Ram gets better mileage than the 4.0l Cherokee it replaced and my 2001 Wrangler. For long freeway trips, 65-70 mph, the Ram gets 50% better mileage than the Wrangler!

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure about the fuel economy?

My Hemi Ram gets better mileage than the 4.0l Cherokee it replaced and my 2001 Wrangler. For long freeway trips, 65-70 mph, the Ram gets 50% better mileage than the Wrangler!
He's got the 4xe hybrid. Might get decent mileage out of it. Actually I'm interested in how @deeve likes that hybrid powertrain overall. When inventory and prices come back to reality a 4xe Grand Cherokee might be good for the wife.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks and I was more thinking about a newer vehicle than the tried and true (and awesome Jeep 4.0). For @piening2150 I like the 4xe quite a bit. It is too fancy for me to think of it as a Jeep and would never take it off road. Painted fenders, top and all would not do will with trail pinstripes. My past Wranglers were all Rubicons or Sports. My wife loves it and will likely keep it. It is a lease which is the only reason why I got it with such new tech and high price. WIth a lease, I got the $10K in tax credit taken off the lease amount so it made it really attractive.

As far a powertrain, if you have cheap electricity (like I do) and typically go around 25 miles in the urban/suburban areas at a time it is great. We have level 2 free chargers around here too, so that helps. The power of 470lbft of torque combined with the little turbo is pretty addictive. It is faster than it deserves to be. Once the electrical only battery runs out, it is like a hybrid...kinda. Even with that, I was getting worse mileage on a recent 300 mile highway trip than with the 2.0 liter engine alone in the non 4xe. Jeep kinda tricks you with the MPG calculation on the dash too. It includes the electrical only use in the calculation, so it is really not an honest MPG calculation. In reality on the highway I get about 21mpg, but that is still using a bit of the hybrid powertrain. I rented a 2.0 Wrangler a couple of years ago and I was in the upper 20's for MPG for comparison. In electric only ,depending on the outside temp and how I have been driving, I get anywhere from 24-29 miles of range.

Any of the bigger vehicles I am looking at are all about the same as far as fuel economy with the exception if the EcoDiesel. I do not think my use case makes sense for that unless I can find one on a discount or used great price.

Users who are viewing this thread